Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Newbie Question
    #1151541 - 12/18/02 11:40 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Hi,

Firt time ever doing this so bear with me. Using Vercilumite and BRF in 1/2 pint taperered jars. Started 6 cakes. Put in plastic box in closet with no heat. Temperature varied for 1 month between 70-80 f. 5 were 80% colonized after a month, and 1 was maybe 10%. So I decided to make an incubator. Incubated for another week and a half and jar that was 10 is now 98%. The guide that was being used didnt go in to detail about how to get the very bottom of jar to colonize. So I was reading that you could turn them over so as to give alittle space at bottom. Did that. But after doing this I noticed things that I didnt before. 1 jar has at least a 1 in pinner and several smaller ones that areflattened in to the mycelium. Also on at least 2 other jars . I can see a few odd coloring. At first I thought it was mold(green). But the more I look at it, it looks bluish. I can notice also in a couple other spots looks like bluish coloring coming from underneath the mycelium. While jars were colonizing. I never saw any dicoloration in the uncolonized areas. Only now to I see it coming from fully colonized areas. Is this bruising.. or contamination. I would post a picture.. but.. the areas are rather faint and doubt they would be of help. Also. I tried not to pack substrate tight.. but it sees that areas especiall the bott had alot of pressure on them. There also seems to be alot of moisture in jars. Not so much as that it is pooling.. but I do see areas that there are droplets. I have turned the jars over so as to give room. I dont know what to do. Should I birth the one the ones that become 100% and tried to tell if color is blue or green..or is blue not normal in fully colonized areas of mycelium. I have read that fully colonized areas shouldnt be easily contaminated because the mycelium can fight it off?. I used fairly sterile conditions. No hood or anything while substrating jars... Just looks more blue than green.. but .. PLEASE HELP

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleTinMan
Stranger

Loc: Russia
Re: Newbie Question [Re: motaman]
    #1152046 - 12/18/02 02:31 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

I've had that happen on many jars. The uncolonized portion will become colonized and will leave a giant scar of fluffy mycelium which will turn blue. As long as there is no hint of green, its probably just bluing.

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
    #1152587 - 12/18/02 06:19 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Yes..so.I can assume there are okay... should i maybe disect one.?

--------------------

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
    #1152597 - 12/18/02 06:25 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

okay i will post pics tomorrow if i can get them to be of enough quality to see....im just to the point...I am really tired of waiting..My fault for not incubating sooner ... but..DAMN.. those cakes look tasty...

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum