Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFr0ggy
AmphibianExperimenter

Loc: Amazonian Lily Pad
Why do mushrooms make you trip?
    #1151350 - 12/18/02 08:36 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Does anyone have any theories as to why shrooms actually make you trip?
Could it be a defence mechanism to ward off creatures who eat them to further the species? Like say for example a little shrew eats some then starts tripping like mad it would think twice before eating them again..

--------------------
Ribbit ?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemoorhsum
SEED MASTER

Loc: N America
Re: Why do mushrooms make you trip? [Re: Fr0ggy]
    #1151390 - 12/18/02 08:54 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Theories?
It's chemical man, not a theory...It's proven...

--------------------
We are the counter-culturaly elite...

Offlineaphexkarma
tweaker
    #1151398 - 12/18/02 08:56 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

yea, fr0ggy, i've always looked at it as a plant's natural defense. like getting a rash from poison ivy & some mushrooms being deadly...but, something that we can "benefit" from so much can't only be for the shrooms "natural defense"...

Offlinegee_bone
Seeker FromNature

#1151404 - 12/18/02 08:57 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Okay, this is a question of evolution: Why does this adaptation (tripping) increase the chances or opportunities for a mushroom to live on through successive generations?

Well, the most obvious answer is that humans began cultivating them and transporting them around the world in order to consume them, thus ensuring successive generations as well as selective breeding which ensures higher potency. If the mushroom has an advantageous effect for a species (humans), that species will guard and promolgate the first species (shrooms). It is important to note that, far from warding off attackers, mycelium wants its shrooms to be distrubed. When a shroom is eaten, its spores are caried away where they may fall and become more mecelium. The shroom itself is merely a vessel for the spores, merely a sexual organ. The real entity at stake is the mycelium.

Having said that I would respond to your question with a timeline from ancient times: man or ape discovers shroom, gets a mild kick, learns to recognize shrooms and their environments. Learns where and when they grow best. Begins to transport shrooms around the world as human colonization of the world begins. Begins to get better at cultivation, makes shrooms more powerful through selective breeding. Shrooms escape man's capture in each new environment and adapt for their new home.

Why do shrooms make you trip. Probably a strain of other mushrooms a long time ago that began using slightly different chemical structures, structures that make humans 'trip', the more potent the trip, the more likely they would survive to promulgate their species. In reality it probably started as a genetic fluke that allowed the shroom to cover most of the known world.

--------------------
Dissidents are punished far more by themselves than by society.

InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Loc: US, Chicago
Re: Why do mushrooms make you trip? [Re: aphexkarma]
    #1151408 - 12/18/02 08:58 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

It wouldn't ward off animals though... They would eat some, trip, if they like it or not they'll just eat it again later.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-->The above statements may or not be true.
->Quote of the Moment :
"Yea. All bitches are whores who love sex." -Cubie
----> PMs checked daily.

OfflineHamurabi
the babylonianleader..

Loc: Greece
Re: Why do mushrooms make you trip? [Re: aphexkarma]
    #1151428 - 12/18/02 09:03 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

wrong forum:-p

Invisiblevampirism
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: gee_bone]
    #1151435 - 12/18/02 09:04 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

OfflineMister Black
smokes pot

Re: Why do mushrooms make you trip? [Re: ]
    #1151486 - 12/18/02 09:20 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

"i very very seriously doubt that people without a consciousness understood..."
What?

"skin colors slowly changed, allowing people to migrate to colder temperatures..."
What?

What have you been reading?

OfflineBladeLSD
Squirrel Master

Re: Why do mushrooms make you trip? [Re: Mister Black]
    #1151501 - 12/18/02 09:26 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Mushrooms where put here by our creators. The entities I and you see and talk to on mushroom trips told me. They have them too. This is no joke

--------------------
We might get glimpse's of objectivity every now, and then, but we're so inherently locked in our temporal and corporeal selves that we're irrevocably locked into subjectivity :crazy:

OfflineKillerClown
From Outer Space

Loc: in a dark corner
    #1151516 - 12/18/02 09:32 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Actually, people migrated, and then their skin color changed as a result of moving from a tropical climate to a cold climate where the skin was not exposed to the rays of the sun for most of the year.

That's just a theory(not mine), but it is the most likely explanation given thus far.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
    #1151544 - 12/18/02 09:41 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

i like you theory best, froggy: tripping = toxic, a defense mechanism like supercoloured frogs in the rainforest.

then again, since we don't understand other species' brains yet (let alone our own), maybe it's to encourage being eaten, by the next one up in the food chain for distribution purposes. like fruit trees do.

way way off topic - love it, though. more!

--------------------
buh

OfflineFr0ggy
AmphibianExperimenter

Re: Why do mushrooms make you trip? [Re: moorhsum]
    #1151562 - 12/18/02 09:44 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Re: Theories? It's chemical man, not a theory...It's proven...

Are you fucking retarded? Try reading posts before replying.

I would have posted this in off topic discussion but in my experience alot of the people in that forum know absolutely jack shit about shrooms/growing & just consider them to be just another drug that gets you shit faced..  :tongue:

--------------------
Ribbit ?

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Why do mushrooms make you trip? [Re: gee_bone]
    #1151574 - 12/18/02 09:51 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Nice post gee, but i don't think human beings ever transported or cultivated magic mushrooms until this century. The mazatecs said they were "the little ones who sprang forth from the earth". I don't think it was in their culture to propagate mushrooms.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Offlinegee_bone
Seeker FromNature

#1151585 - 12/18/02 09:55 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Ahh Morowind.....

Wow, that's dumb.

I mean.....whoah..... that's really vacuous and uninformed.

At any rate all I can say about your rambling monologue is that man did know how to tend to basic plants and fungi well before they moved out of Africa. I would even go so far as to say that they were 'concious'. Yes, shrooms could have spread out accross the world at the time before the splitting of the continents, but would have changed genetically many times since then. We're talking millions and millions and millions of years. In that interim period they would most likely be genetically differentiated well past the diversity around the world that we have now. Man only began living in North America 10-12,000 years ago, having come over from the South Eastern Pacific. Though birds are notorious for spreading seeds and spores between the continents, shrooms we see growing Mexico and in Thailand are actually quite similar and both produce the same chemicals at very similar ammounts (this is not to say that there is no variance between strains but consider that after millions of years of evolution and the resulting ice ages and environment, animal and niche changes, how much they actually should differ, they are actually quite similar). My point remains: humans bred shrooms to be more potent, not the other way around.

As for your point about reproduction I must inform you that man has been selectively reproducing grain for over 10,000 years to slowly get hardier and better yielding strains. It's as simple as finding some wheat that you believe has good characteristics and making sure you plant it next season. Take the best, just like we do, and grow successive generations. That was just after the last ice age retreated and Europe and North America were undergoing the first in a wave of colonization periods.

Just to clear the record.

Besides, getting high on shrooms doesn't make you more conscious, that's a little self-agrandizing in a context such as this. They're fun and worthwhile and allow you to look at the world in a shifted perspective. They did not cradle human society.

--------------------

OfflineFr0ggy
AmphibianExperimenter

#1151764 - 12/18/02 10:49 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Anyone for anymore? This is getting interesting now!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

--------------------
Ribbit ?

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

#1152983 - 12/18/02 06:55 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I really don't think mushrooms contain psilocybin for any "personal" reason. I think psilocybian mushrooms are here to help mankind. I feel the blue colour supports this theory too. Plus what could be more natural than a mushroom?

OfflineAudi0
have ur cake andbeat it 2
Female User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South !
Re: Why do mushrooms make you trip? [Re: zeta]
    #1153120 - 12/18/02 07:37 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I think psilocybe is used by the mushrooms for defense too. Say an animal that loves to eat mycelium and the shrooms itself, like an armadillo or pig or whatever, comes across some psilocybes and eats a few, then everything starts going nuts and the animal is tripping, would the animal go back for more? I doubt it. Humans are the only animals that would eat them for fun. Im just basing this as if it were the same as mescaline. San Pedro cacti's mescaline concentration goes up when they dont recieve much water as in a drought. During a drought when there isnt much water animals eat cacti to get the water out of them. So when there is a drought, san pedro mescaline production goes up bc thats when the animals would start chewing holes in them for water. This is just what I think and its probably not right but since we're all putting in our opinions there ya go.

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Why do mushrooms make you trip? [Re: Audi0]
    #1153817 - 12/19/02 04:41 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Say an animal that loves to eat mycelium and the shrooms itself

There's evidence that suggests mammals with the more brain-power get the most effect. And far from being a deterrant there was a funny news story about sheep in scotland eating magic mushrooms to the exclusion of all other food sources and running round having a rare old time.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Offlinegee_bone
Seeker FromNature

Re: Why do mushrooms make you trip? [Re: Xlea321]
    #1154346 - 12/19/02 07:26 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Actually many animals tune their habits to enjoy mother nature's toxins. I have seen actual movie footage of a group of chimps coming back to the same bush eyar after year at the right time to eat berries that were dropped on the ground and were fermenting in order to get drunk. They return year after year and do this. Mescaline's a lot different and it might not fit well into this paradigm. Mescaline can really mess you up and may affect water uptake for any animal in an arid environment, making them something to avoid if you are seeking survival, whereas shrooms are extremely pleasant and make you rock.

At any rate, we're talking humans here.

--------------------

Invisiblegdman
badger, badger,badger...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dancing In the Streets
    #1155178 - 12/19/02 11:53 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I'm pretty sure that many, many animals eat shrooms for fun. I have heard of cows with shrooms hanging from their mouths and squirrels dancing around under the influence of A. musciera. But anyway, I very much doubt the poison theory.

--------------------

Got a question about a substance?  Erowid might already have your answer! Have questions about the  mushroom experience? The  Tripper's FAQ may have your answer or someone else might have had your question before.

I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.
  - Theodor Seuss Geisel Dr. Suess

"I didn't come here to be easily understood" - Steve

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #1155229 - 12/19/02 12:14 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I think tryptamines are a natural part of life in general. I'll say this because they can be found in many vastly different species. I think that psilocybin, being a tryptamine, would have to be found somewhere in nature. Shrooms just may have been the speicies that got lucky (for us) and started producing psilocin.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Offlineesin
cheesefondue
 User Gallery

Loc: Lysergia
    #1157098 - 12/20/02 04:38 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I think psilocybin, other hallucinogens and natural psychoactives in general are used by the plants to disencourage animals to eat it. Man, with its intelligence learned how to enjoy the states provided by these living beings but only because they communicate between themselves and know what is safe and what it's not and exactly what to expect from a particular plant or fungus IMHO.

This can be proven with a little experiment: feed someone who has never experimented with psychedelics 4g of cubensis without them knowing.
Then ask them if they would eat the same shrooms again. I seriously doubt it.

Just think if it would be fun to you to find yourself in a psychedelic state of consciousness without knowing why and what would happen to you. Probably you would have a hell of a trip.

Besides i've read most wild animals know and avoid psychoactive plants b/c they impair their alertness to predators and dangers therefore leaving them vulnerable.

Offlinelivingsublime
Stranger

Re: Why do mushrooms make you trip? [Re: esin]
    #1157132 - 12/20/02 05:00 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Ya that might suck or could be good it all depends.
If I diden't have any experience with psychedelics at all,never and someone got me to eat 4 grams or even 2 grams for that matter without me knowing,it would probably be hell!
At first you feel different and blame it on the last thing you ate,like food or somthing but once the effets started coming on I don't think most people would like it if they never treid psychedelics before and wasen't exspecting a trip!
One of my friends before he got into psychedelics said he was at a party drinking beer and smoking weed,well one guy slipped in a tab or some type of lsd into his beer when he went to the bathroom,he wasen't exspecting it nor did he know what would hapen.If I remember right he had a realy bad time,now he doesn't drink any kind of beer or alchohal,probably still scrared!

Offlinebjkroll
Addict

Loc: Detroit
Re: Why do mushrooms make you trip? [Re: livingsublime]
    #1157143 - 12/20/02 05:04 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Very good point. If I ate a ton of shrooms, had never tripped, and didnt know it, I'd probably go nuts (like most people would).

--------------------
"Everybody who's famous sucked the dick to get where they are today.
The only difference between us and them? We swallowed it." - Jimmy Urine

OfflineMeph
Synesthesiac

Loc: Qu?bec
Re: Why do mushrooms make you trip? [Re: bjkroll]
    #1157375 - 12/20/02 06:28 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Mushrooms make you trip because they "fuck up" your stomach. And then your brain starts going crazy, it causes temporary schyzophrenia, and you become stupid. They also destrop LOTS of brain cells - in fact, the mushrooms even start growing in your neurons, causing you to trip forever.

And you have visuals because the poison (yes, it's a POISON) in them destroys the "shroom barrier" membrane in your eye, that's why you hallucinate. It grows back, but not as strong. That explains flashbacks. Oh yeah, and flashbacks make your penis shrink, and your breasts grow bigger. And your head explodes if you trip twice in the same 27 day period. I've seen it happen myself!

I know a guy whose dog knows a kid who became an orange on shrooms. When he goes in the sun, he dries out. He's scared people might peel his skin to put bubble gum on it, to chew the gum after, releasing oranginadine (a molecule structurally related to bananadine and georgebushadine) in your brain, causing you to be very "fucked up".

--------------------
I'm a bipedal carbon-based pseudo-random number generator.

Demonstration: 152.

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: Why do mushrooms make you trip? [Re: Meph]
    #1158069 - 12/20/02 12:05 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Meph I think you're joking...but still you need to stop this shit. Someone who doesn't know better might read your post and then go tell everyone about how mushrooms work according to you.

And if you aren't joking: mushrooms (at least the "magic" kind) are not poisonous. They do not contain any poisons. The chemicals in mushrooms are far less poisonous than regular Tylenol. Actually they are classified as non-poisonous.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

Edited by trendal (12/20/02 12:17 PM)

OfflineEuphoricDreams
Stranger

#1158086 - 12/20/02 12:12 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

He became an orange. . . ha thats priceless. . .that shit at the beginning wasnt funny tho an trendal has a point

--------------------

Anonymous

#1158142 - 12/20/02 12:40 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

YOU'd go nuts but I dont think an animal would. Not unless it was getting fucked with by something. Imagine living a carefree (id say its pretty carefree i dont see alot of malnourished wild animals..) existance and being able to do mushrooms. No worries, just tripping. That would be wonderful.

I dont think I buy the defense mechanism idea so much.. I think it could go either way for any type of animal, depending on the animals set and setting and all that.

InvisibleDreaMaTrix
Shaman I am

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Falling into place
    #1159288 - 12/20/02 11:50 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

In reply to:

Mushrooms make you trip because they "fuck up" your stomach. And then your brain starts going crazy, it causes temporary schyzophrenia, and you become stupid. They also destrop LOTS of brain cells - in fact, the mushrooms even start growing in your neurons, causing you to trip forever.

And you have visuals because the poison (yes, it's a POISON) in them destroys the "shroom barrier" membrane in your eye, that's why you hallucinate. It grows back, but not as strong. That explains flashbacks. Oh yeah, and flashbacks make your penis shrink, and your breasts grow bigger. And your head explodes if you trip twice in the same 27 day period. I've seen it happen myself!

I know a guy whose dog knows a kid who became an orange on shrooms. When he goes in the sun, he dries out. He's scared people might peel his skin to put bubble gum on it, to chew the gum after, releasing oranginadine (a molecule structurally related to bananadine and georgebushadine) in your brain, causing you to be very "fucked up".

This post is just plain ridiculous.
Please don't come into this forum sprouting such nonsense. We aim to clear up misinformation and urban myth that surround psychedelics.
If you beleive the things you wrote to be true, I suggest you read through some posts here.
If this was a joke, its not funny!

Psychedelics are illegal, therefore, a lot of the information has been surpressed, and one of the ways we can gather such information is through the input of information of members of a community such as the shroomery. Lets keep it moving forward, and not take steps backward through ignorance and misinformed viewpoints.

Good luck

--------------------

"We are the one's we have been waiting for" - Hopi saying

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Loc: Trump Train
Re: Why do mushrooms make you trip? [Re: esin]
    #1159366 - 12/21/02 01:48 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

You are assuming that animals find a new food and just start chowing down. I would doubt this. I would say that an animal, from fear of being poisoned probably eats as little of a new food as possible.

If this is the case, then the effects of the mushroom would be very subtle. Probably just a feeling of general wellness that would encourage the animal to partake again some time. Maybe eating just a little more.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineMeph
Synesthesiac

Re: Why do mushrooms make you trip? [Re: DreaMaTrix]
    #1159487 - 12/21/02 04:01 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Okay I'm sorry - no really, I am!

That post was just a mix of the different myths I've heard. It's all totally absurd, I know, and it was stupid of my part to post such a thing. I thought it was funny at the time, but I have, like most of you, gotten so fed up with all of the rumors and myths...

I hope to make up for this mistake soon... I think my posts are usually useful and/or intelligent, that was an exception. Sorry again.

--------------------

OfflineMeph
Synesthesiac

Re: Why do mushrooms make you trip? [Re: DreaMaTrix]
    #1159907 - 12/21/02 08:36 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Trendal and DreaMaTrix, am I forgiven? I hope that this stupid post of mine won't take away my credibility for other intelligent things I might share with my fellow shroomerites... I feel so bad now!

--------------------

InvisibleDreaMaTrix
Shaman I am

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Falling into place
    #1159951 - 12/21/02 09:05 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

No problem dude. :smile:

We have a sense of humour,  just make it plain that it's a joke/sarcastic in the post :wink:
Worst case scenaario is someone reads that and believes it :wink:

Good luck

--------------------

"We are the one's we have been waiting for" - Hopi saying

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

#1160212 - 12/21/02 11:10 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Lol, man don't worry about it  :smirk:

Just like DreaMaTrix said. No harm in making jokes, just make sure people know you're joking  :wink:

--------------------

OfflineMeph
Synesthesiac

Re: Why do mushrooms make you trip? [Re: trendal]
    #1160239 - 12/21/02 11:39 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Phew. I'm releived!

:smirk:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom