Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Amazon Balsamic Vinaigrette

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Need ideas - vegetarian potluck
    #11501040 - 11/21/09 10:04 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

You know ... i've been to a few potlucks and i think i've overused my quinoa salad, pasta salads, salsa and guacamole recipes...

I am looking for something new and exciting, but am short on ideas.

Anyone?

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleelementswrath
Finger' trippin good
Male User Gallery

Loc: suiciety Flag
Re: Need ideas - vegetarian potluck [Re: PDU]
    #11501051 - 11/21/09 10:07 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

vegetable curry samosas.
they kick ass.
along with some plum sauce.

Offlinefalcon
In the green

#11503543 - 11/22/09 01:02 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Squish up some tofu and throw in some sauteed onions, green peppers and garlic, some sliced black and green olives, crushed tomatos, frozen corn, chili pwd, heat that up in dutch oven on the stove top, add some corn meal and mix well and then bake till hot again, then cover with some shredded cheese and bake some more. Make a lot. For the corn meal use about 1/4 of the amount by volume that you used for the crushed tomatoes.

Offlinebenitoamanito
rad

Re: Need ideas - vegetarian potluck [Re: falcon]
    #11507431 - 11/22/09 11:35 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

mmmm bean and ricfe burritoes :smile: or just pan fry some potatoes with garlic and garlic salt (just a tiny bit) onions cilantro whatever.. maybe some lime.. chili powder.. add that to some beans and rice.. for burritos or even without the tortillas.. potatoes are bomb and a must for vegetarians.. kinda ghetto but whatev :]

OfflineBothHands
Dog Coffee
Female User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #11507501 - 11/22/09 11:49 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I loooove my vegetarian pizzas.

saute one full red onion in half a cup of olive oil, add 2 tbs dried parsley, 2 tbs dried oregano, 2 tbs dried basil. Add 1/2 cup chopped garlic.  add 6 oz tomato paste.  Add 1 cup red wine to deglaze the pot.  add 64 oz crushed tomato + liquid. (this makes enough sauce for like 10 pizzas.  It can be frozen.)  Lightly simmer for 30 mins to reduce some of the liquid. add 1 cup olive oil + 1 cup fresh basil.

That's your pizza sauce.

I'm sure you can find a recipe for simple pizza dough.

For toppings, I like to saute half an onion per pizza you're making.  I saute it in some olive oil for a few minutes, then I add 1/2 tbs balsamic vinegar, medium squirt lemon juice, tsp turmeric, tsp sweet paprika.  I then chop up a tomato or two.  Add a splash of wine to deglaze the pan before adding the tomato with seeds and all.  The tomato will make it really watery, but this can be reduced into a tomato onion paste type thing.

Roll your dough nice and thin.  put it on some parchment paper (best thing ever).  add sauce, then add topping.  Then sprinkle lightly with mozzarella (or vegan mozzarella).

Be careful not to add too much sauce/toppings/cheese.  My first like 20 pizzas were so top heavy and very difficult to eat.  Still damn good though!

Put the pizza on a pizza stone on the bottom rack at 500 degrees for 8-10 minutes.  (might need to go longer if your crust is too thick.)

My favorite recipe :laugh:

Offlinebenitoamanito
rad

Re: Need ideas - vegetarian potluck [Re: BothHands]
    #11507571 - 11/23/09 12:01 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

^^ sounds bomb.. when it comes to pizza, i like it betteer without eggi n the dough.. (blechhH) cheese is fine though :smile:

oh also, you can make vegan garlic cheese bread.. just get a french bread with no egg in it.. then top it with those vegan cheeses and garlic salt and then just bake it.. booomby

OfflineBothHands
Dog Coffee
Female User Gallery

Re: Need ideas - vegetarian potluck [Re: benitoamanito]
    #11507590 - 11/23/09 12:05 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I've never seen a pizza dough recipe with eggs before.

I use 1 1/6 cup flour, 1 cup water, 1tbs yeast, 1 tbs sugar, 1 tbs salt, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 tbs parsley, 1 tbs oregano, 1 tsp paprika.

Not in that order though xD

It's from an episode of emeril green.  Makes 2 pizzas.

Offlinebenitoamanito
rad

#11507650 - 11/23/09 12:12 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

oh i meant like some of those packaged pizza doughs have egg and what not.. but yea its always better to make it from scratch.. even better is using alternative grains for it instead of just wheat flour.. :smile:

OfflineBothHands
Dog Coffee
Female User Gallery

#11507666 - 11/23/09 12:15 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Sounds cool.  This works for me, but I might give that a shot.  I know different types of flours are very difficult to use properly.  I saw an episode of Emeril Green, where he was making a pizza for a person who was allergic to gluten.  There were like 8 different types of flours in it, and it had to be cooked very very very exactly, and the sauce had to be put on afterwards so the dough didn't get soggy.  Seems like a lot of trouble to me.

Offlinebenitoamanito
rad

#11507686 - 11/23/09 12:19 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

true that... you can always grind your own grains.. they probably just dont process the other flours correctly. plus, you cant just combine everything thats not wheat and expect it to work out perfectly.. though it does sound good.

Edited by benitoamanito (11/23/09 12:19 AM)

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

#11508373 - 11/23/09 02:15 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

I ended up doing BBQ'd shish kabobs and stuffed mushrooms, and both were a major hit.

For the shish kabobs i experimented with tofu (haven't ever made it taste good before.)

I pressed the water out of it, fried it in sesame oil and then marinated it in bbq sauce with soysauce and honey. It was great - although next time i would like to marinate it for 24 hours...

I did the shish kabobs with onions, shallots, mushroom stems, peppers and the tofu on the end and glazed them with the leftover marinade, lemon pepper, and italian dressing.

Then for the mushrooms - i used brown and white button mushroom tops, Which i fried in garlic butter first.

The filling was chopped up mushroom stems, tofu, garlic, cream cheese, and minced bell peppers Plus parmesean with the spices: cayenne, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper all mixed together and then spooned into the caps.

I bbq'd these for 15 minutes in a tinfoil pan, with tinfoil on top, which i took off and cooked for an additional 5 minutes.

Took 1.5 hours to prepare and was ridiculously good.

The recipes were pretty improvised - my cooking ability is improving by leaps and bounds.

I will forsurely try to the pizza recipe posted above!

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

OfflineBothHands
Dog Coffee
Female User Gallery

#11509434 - 11/23/09 10:43 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Ooh, yummy!!  I've made some very simple shish kabobs before.  I got this reallllly awesome vegetarian shish kabob spice from publics, so I just covered mushrooms and pearl onions and green pepper and tomato with it...  Came out good anyway.  I'll definitely try doing the marinade + tofu.

I think I'll try those stuffed mushrooms tonight! What type of mushrooms did you use?  We only get button mushrooms and shiitakes around here.  Guessing shiitake's would be my best bet, huh? Yum!

Invisiblelegallyhomeless
mooch
 User Gallery

Loc: EZRA for the Refuge
Re: Need ideas - vegetarian potluck [Re: elementswrath]
    #11513564 - 11/23/09 08:35 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

elementswrath said:
vegetable curry samosas.
they kick ass.
along with some plum sauce.

I got my lady a moosewood cookbook and they have samosas in there. OMFG the are delicious!

Also for a cold vegetable pizza...

you can make a dough but I like the Pillsbury roll out kind. Bake that and then let it cool. Add garden vegetable cream cheese for the "sauce" and for toppings use onion, broccoli, carrot shavings, green pepper or w.e you like!

raw veggies or lightly steamed have the most protein

--------------------
MY TRADE LIST!!!

FULLY AUTOMATIC!! 12-Pot Multi Grow Hydroponic System for Trade.

Download PSX ISOs

InvisiblePoC
Relax
Male User Gallery

Re: Need ideas - vegetarian potluck [Re: legallyhomeless]
    #11521784 - 11/24/09 09:49 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

When there were grapes still growing here I juiced a bunch of them and took them to a potluck.  It went over very well - there was none left when I left.  If you've got a juicer, you can make all sorts of great drinks to take.  Any fruit that you think will go together will usually work and beets and carrots also taste amazing juiced.  The juice is very healthy and also doubles as an ingredient for mixing drinks :laugh:

--------------------

Edited by PoC (11/24/09 09:51 PM)

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

#11562149 - 12/01/09 02:11 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

BothHands said:
What type of mushrooms did you use?  We only get button mushrooms and shiitakes around here.  Guessing shiitake's would be my best bet, huh? Yum!

Sorry, late response: I used brown and white button mushrooms. Shitakes wouldn't work well because of their shape; they dont have a cupped cap to put the filling in.

You could totally add shitakes into the stuffing though!

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Offlinebenitoamanito
rad

#11568460 - 12/02/09 10:02 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

next time you should use homemade seitan or gluten instead of soy... soy can be bad... homemade faux meats can easily be made from grains though.. doesnt have to be wheat

OfflineBothHands
Dog Coffee
Female User Gallery

#11569729 - 12/02/09 02:41 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I could put the stuffing on top of the shiitakes like little mushroom pizzas.  That would be pretty great.

Benito: Though soy has a bit of estrogen in it, I don't believe the amount has been proven to have a significant effect on the body.  Seitan is great on its own too though.  Definitely wouldn't rule that out either.

Invisiblelegallyhomeless
mooch
 User Gallery

Loc: EZRA for the Refuge
    #11571073 - 12/02/09 06:41 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I have been doing some research on soy lately. The Japanese soy and the American soy is very different. The Japs ferment their soy which is where the health benefits come into play. High amounts of American soy and lead to some problems. Which sucks since Im just not finding this out and Ive been a vegetarian for like 10 years.

--------------------
MY TRADE LIST!!!

FULLY AUTOMATIC!! 12-Pot Multi Grow Hydroponic System for Trade.

Download PSX ISOs

OfflineBothHands
Dog Coffee
Female User Gallery

Re: Need ideas - vegetarian potluck [Re: legallyhomeless]
    #11571213 - 12/02/09 07:07 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

http://soynutrition.com/SoyHealth/SoyMyths.html

Please check out this website.  It's a reputable source with an enormous amount of reputable citations. 

Quote:

In fact, several studies have found no effects on testosterone despite ingestion of isoflavones at levels that were 20- to 30-times higher than the typical Japanese intake. 40 41

As I said, the estrogenic properties of soy are inconsequential.

Quote:

In fermented soy foods, microbial hydrolysis causes a greater proportion of the isoflavones to occur as aglycones (without an attached sugar molecule), while the isoflavones of unprocessed soy beans appear as glycosides (with the sugar molecule attached).1 However, due to in vivo hydrolysis there is little difference in overall bioavailability between isoflavone aglycones and glycosides.2, 3...

...Some research suggests that the allergenicity of soy protein may be reduced by fermentation.

Fermentation causes slight benefits but they aren't really large enough to matter.  If you're allergic to soy, you might want to try fermented soy.

Quote:

Since that time, no cases of goiter have been reported among the millions of infants using soy formula.44, 45 Even in the rat, an animal sensitive to anti-thyroid effects,46 normal thyroid function is maintained in response to the consumption of isoflavones.42

As far as thyroid problems go, if you can't replicate the results of an experiment, the original is invalid.

Check out the website if you're interested in reading more, or if you'd like to check their citations.

Soy is a complete protein, meaning it contains every essential amino acid.  Definitely worth it in my opinion.  The risks are practically inconsequential.

Offlinebenitoamanito
rad

#11598824 - 12/06/09 09:55 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

the problem with american soy, is that it is already added to EVERY snack food / processed /packaged food (prettu much, and if its under a certain percentage, it is not listed)

soy itself is not bad though... but yes the japenese way of using it is proper..

see, soy is meant to stretch thing such as soups, not to be a TOTAL meat replacement, THAT is bad

Large ammount intake of soy foods can cause allergic reactions as welll as too much estrogen (man titties!) ahah but can also cause loss of liver function and stuff, it really affects the sytem of our bodies, as it is not DIGESTED, rather but more so just decomposes inside.. so basically, more protein in soy gets junked, or stays inside waiting to get pushed out..

Ive also heard and read that it can cause early aging, and thinning hair especially in males... but thats if you eat it all the time (ever notice those vegans that look super unhealthy? they probably eat a lot of soy stuff)

certain varieties such as miso, arent as bad and can probably have some good benefits.. plus miso soup is really good.

the main concern of soy is just weakening bodily functions, so dont use it too much.. its really bad in high amounts.. and its in a LIOT of fast foods ( buns, tortillas etc)

so(y) be careful.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Amazon Balsamic Vinaigrette

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing