Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMusixworld
Strider
Male User Gallery

Loc: US
Lightbulbs
    #11493394 - 11/20/09 02:43 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

All of the hardware stores around my area sell lightbulbs which don't show the kelvin reading..

I wanted to know if there is any other indicator of the type of lightbulb that is best for your fruiting chamber.

--------------------
Do or do not...There is no try.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not Too Sure Flag
Re: Lightbulbs [Re: Musixworld]
    #11493419 - 11/20/09 02:46 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

this is what i use

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:
not sure what GE and FAE are but i should probably get some.

Citric said:
Your signature is wrong on colonization temps!

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

ROOM TEMP 70-75 IS BEST FOR COLONIZATION
Thank you mycochef

Offlineshroom239
aka K.T.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Lightbulbs [Re: Musixworld]
    #11493422 - 11/20/09 02:46 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Try a reptile light from a pet supply store. I am using one and it is working really well. The light I am using is in this thread.

--------------------
Disclaimer: Any picture or statement I post here is from research I do on my free time, I do not actually partake in this hobby.

OfflineNoOneKnowsHowToAct
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Lightbulbs [Re: shroom239]
    #11493659 - 11/20/09 03:19 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

imo the type of light really isn't too important. There's other factors that'll contribute more. I've had trays fruit in my trashcan after I threw them in there for contaming. They had no pins, but developed and fruited despite the fact that there was trash on top and shitty ass cool-white lighting sitting 8 ft above it (in the kitchen). As long as you use some kind of light you should be fine.

--------------------
Winner of 2 of TacoHerder's 2 cultivation contests!
Most recent contest posts:
inoculation
Ready for spawning
Substrate done colonizing
Pins
Pins #2
First flush

Invisiblecyantific
Trusted Masturbator

Loc: Shakashuri Island
Re: Lightbulbs [Re: NoOneKnowsHowToAct]
    #11493922 - 11/20/09 03:58 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

NoOneKnowsHowToAct said:
imo the type of light really isn't too important. There's other factors that'll contribute more. I've had trays fruit in my trashcan after I threw them in there for contaming. They had no pins, but developed and fruited despite the fact that there was trash on top and shitty ass cool-white lighting sitting 8 ft above it (in the kitchen). As long as you use some kind of light you should be fine.

it isn't mandatory to have strong lighting to get fruits , but the more you use within the proper spectrum the healthier the mushies will be .. IE denser , taller , and faster ... pin-sets also occur more prolifically ... i wont say more potent but it does seem to me that it helps them reach their max potential which from a potency stand-point can only be a good thing ...

OfflineNoOneKnowsHowToAct
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Lightbulbs [Re: cyantific]
    #11494059 - 11/20/09 04:18 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

cyantific said:
it isn't mandatory to have strong lighting to get fruits , but the more you use within the proper spectrum the healthier the mushies will be .. IE denser , taller , and faster ... pin-sets also occur more prolifically ... i wont say more potent but it does seem to me that it helps them reach their max potential which from a potency stand-point can only be a good thing ...

I'm going to have to do an experiment with this because I really don't think everything you stated is true. My most meaty fruits have fruited invitro in almost complete darkness. For some reason when they fruit invitro they are really really dense. Also, I've notice density seems to be tied very closely to genetics when given the same fruiting conditions. I would also say the same about height and speed as well. I had a couple of fruits recently that were really dense and one that was large for the genetics and they all grew invitro in almost complete darkness. While I would probably agree that using a single led to light an entire room would be worse than using ample 4' CFL banks, there is a definite limit to the help of proper lighting and it's much lower than I think people suspect. IMO it's more about making sure there is light than how much light and what spectrum it is.

When I do my experiments to measure potency I'll have to figure out a decent extraction method that gives me consistent results but that shouldn't be too much of an issue I don't think. Suggestions still?

--------------------
Winner of 2 of TacoHerder's 2 cultivation contests!
Most recent contest posts:
inoculation
Ready for spawning
Substrate done colonizing
Pins
Pins #2
First flush

InvisibleI_was_the_walrus
eggshells
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: next door
    #11494113 - 11/20/09 04:25 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

NoOneKnowsHowToAct said:
Quote:

cyantific said:

I'm going to have to do an experiment with this because I really don't think everything you stated is true. My most meaty fruits have fruited invitro in almost complete darkness. For some reason when they fruit invitro they are really really dense. Also, I've notice density seems to be tied very closely to genetics when given the same fruiting conditions. I would also say the same about height and speed as well. I had a couple of fruits recently that were really dense and one that was large for the genetics and they all grew invitro in almost complete darkness. While I would probably agree that using a single led to light an entire room would be worse than using ample 4' CFL banks, there is a definite limit to the help of proper lighting and it's much lower than I think people suspect. IMO it's more about making sure there is light than how much light and what spectrum it is.

When I do my experiments to measure potency I'll have to figure out a decent extraction method that gives me consistent results but that shouldn't be too much of an issue I don't think. Suggestions still?

Im with ya. I think light gives the mycelium a trigger to fruit and a direction to grow in. This is proven. The subject on what frequency and strength of the light is all opinion. However strong some peoples opinions are...they are still just that.

I have grown with christmas lights on 24 hours a day. Great flushes. Some will tell you try it all out for yourself you will be pleased blah blah and thats really all you can do. Try it out. Judge for yourself. Your experiences will always differ from everybody elses no matter what. Its kinda hard to place facts on things without numbers and just experience.

Invisiblecyantific
Trusted Masturbator

#11494117 - 11/20/09 04:26 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

NoOneKnowsHowToAct said:
Quote:

cyantific said:

heres RR if you dont believe me

I think it's pretty damned obvious that mycelium is converting light into some other form of energy that is useful to it.  Mushrooms grown with proper lighting pin more prolifically, grow fatter and meatier with considerably more finish weight, and are more vigorous and healthy looking.

It's worthless to compare mushrooms to plants.  Mycelium is as different from plants as we are.  The absence of photosynthesis doesn't mean the mycelium isn't deriving energy from the light.

To answer the original poster, you'll get mushrooms from the HPS.  It will make up somewhat in intensity what it lacks in proper spectrum.  I've had excellent results with a 400 watt MH which was already running in the room anyway.  MH is around 4,000 Kelvin,  which is closer to what we're looking for than an HPS which tends to run around 2700 Kelvin.  As said above, unless you're already running the HPS for something else, get a fluorescent fixture and save the HPS for another day.
RR

eggshells
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11494174 - 11/20/09 04:36 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

It's worthless to compare mushrooms to plants.  Mycelium is as different from plants as we are.  The absence of photosynthesis doesn't mean the mycelium isn't deriving energy from the light.

Quote:

It will make up somewhat in intensity what it lacks in proper spectrum

How? And in what way? What does it affect? What does the spectrum affect differently from the "intensity" and how does the intensity make up what the spectrum lacks? And are there numbers? Facts? Is this just your experience talking again? Ive talked with alot of people and their experience says otherwise. Theyre not plants ya know...

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Lightbulbs [Re: I_was_the_walrus]
    #11494372 - 11/20/09 05:06 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Feel free to disagree, but you're disagreeing with every commercial mushroom farm operator, plus other experienced mycologists such as Wassan, Salman, Stamets, Alexander and many others including myself and hundreds of members right here who switched from 'any old light' to daylight spectrum fluorescent lamps and noticed a substantial and immediate improvement in crop quality.

This has all been covered ad nauseum in other threads, but the bottom line is using the correct spectrum AND intensity will result in more fruits, meatier fruits with more finished weight, and higher fruit quality. 
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblecyantific
Trusted Masturbator

#11494384 - 11/20/09 05:09 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

i cant answer this question lol

the best i can do is say science is an ever-changing continuum ... whats right today may not be tomorrow ... we see it all the time just on this site when information becomes bad or outdated ... i dont consider the book on the wondrous psilocybin mushroom to be closed just yet ...

i base a lot of my hypothesis on my many observations together with known and indisputable fact ... lighting is a aspect of mycology i feel left inconclusive ... how can something have a preference IE 6500 kelvin yet not utilize benefits of that preference ? doesn't make sense ..

i agree with RR on this solely because i know he has put in the time to gather shit loads of observational expertise ... i too have a lot of the same both in the wild and in the lab , nowhere close to RR but a lot just the same ...

i both feel and know it to be a meritful observation ...

Invisiblecyantific
Trusted Masturbator

#11494388 - 11/20/09 05:10 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

lol speak of the devil ... mustve been posting same time haha

eggshells
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Lightbulbs [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #11494435 - 11/20/09 05:18 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Im still open on both ends of the debate really. Its just harder for me than most to give out information with no facts behind it. You cant argue opinions. Thats what religion is for

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #11494538 - 11/20/09 05:32 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Its just harder for me than most to give out information with no facts behind it.

You're saying the results obtained by Stamets, myself, and hundreds of members here are opinions, not facts?  That's an interesting philosophy. Perhaps you just haven't searched the threads to find all the data that's been posted. Have a nice day.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

eggshells
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Lightbulbs [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #11494747 - 11/20/09 06:08 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

plus other experienced mycologists such as Wassan, Salman, Stamets, Alexander and many others including myself

Quote:

results obtained by Stamets, myself

I like how when you answer everybodys questions you always include yourself with already known mycologists as to make you appear more established than you actually are. When you have done nothing to prove or establish any facts without riding the coat tails and quoting those before you. Your no better than the established cultivators here.

I really dont mean to get all sour with you but when you imply I havent done my research its insulting. All I was doing was raising the argument that its all based on opinion. Spreading information and quoting it like it was your own, when its not even accurate then insulting another member for disagreeing with you just seems silly...

OfflineRailrider
Chronic contaminator

Loc: a van down by the river.
    #11494984 - 11/20/09 06:44 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

:facepalm:

--------------------

Any post I post here is pure speculation from other read posts
Best tip for cultivation!

Invisiblecyantific
Trusted Masturbator

#11495147 - 11/20/09 07:09 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

science is but the opinions of observations made by trusted professionals dealing with the subject at large ...

for years ppl thought marijuana caused a lot more cerebral damage than it actually does due to the observations of incompetent professionals pumping absurd levels of carbon monoxide in ridiculously small periods of time into monkeys lungs ... it was written in books and passed off as gospel ...

once it is written it is very rarely questioned ... regurgitated knowledge .. mycology is no different and maybe even more so of a culprit in this ...

for what its worth id much rather accept RRs advice and opinions as a cultivator than i would someone with a PhD in mycology ( not sure if he has one ? lol) simply because he lives and breathes this science as do i and doesn't just quote regurgitated knowledge to pass the test and get the degree ... experience is the greatest teacher ...

InvisibleRustifer
prestige worldwide
Male

Loc: Central Texas
    #11495457 - 11/20/09 08:03 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

science is but the opinions of observations made by trusted professionals dealing with the subject at large

Nah, science consists of hard FACTS brah.

Invisiblecyantific
Trusted Masturbator

Re: Lightbulbs [Re: Rustifer]
    #11495536 - 11/20/09 08:16 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Rustifer said:
Quote:

science is but the opinions of observations made by trusted professionals dealing with the subject at large

Nah, science consists of hard FACTS brah.

not your 'brah' w/e the fuck that valley fag speak is , and you know what i meant ' accepted science '... someone had to come to a conclusion on whatever scientific endeavor they undertook and when they did it became "FACT" ... its all gathered knowledge not handed down from god you putz..

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #11495777 - 11/20/09 08:57 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Let's all keep it civil please.  No flaming in cultivation. 

This is a thread about lighting, and if someone has meaningful information to support or contradict what has been posted, please share.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale