Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineCannabischarlie
Resident badass
 User Gallery

what changes should/need to be made to address police misconduct
    #11471376 - 11/17/09 12:22 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

besides the obvious end the drug war (I feel like that as a whole is seriously the biggest reason for law enforcement being the joke that it is) what if if where up to you to decide, (and based on the limits of the constitution) would it take to have not only police misconduct taken seriously by the justice system and society as whole?

also answers such as holding prosecuters accountable which they arent now are obvious.

i mean what would you implement if you had the opportunity to address competency and misconduct/brutality that you think would make monumental differences on this issue?

--------------------
This section of the signature line has been intentionally left blank.

we could all use a little more sunshine.

:shrug: yeah, she's funny and somewhat interesting.  not a beauty queen, but not bad lookin.  i'd feel quite honored to fuck janine garofalo.
-tiny_rabid_birds

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: what changes should/need to be made to address police misconduct [Re: Cannabischarlie]
    #11471989 - 11/17/09 04:05 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Cameras on all cop cars, cop guns, and cop tasers.
Better continuing education for all cops.
Citizen run oversight of cop conduct for any complaints.
End the usage of animals in law enforcement.
End unions for cops and prison guards.
Better pay and benefits for cops and prison guards.
End the use of private lawyers for criminal cases.  (Both sides get a 'public defender' with an equal budget.)

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

Loc: Out of this world
Re: what changes should/need to be made to address police misconduct [Re: Seuss]
    #11473116 - 11/17/09 11:01 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:

Citizen run oversight of cop conduct for any complaints.

we already have civilian review boards and they don't really accomplish much.
Quote:

End the use of private lawyers for criminal cases.  (Both sides get a 'public defender' with an equal budget.)

how would this get rid of police misconduct and do you realize the implications of this? One of the main reasons that the state gets the burden of proof (guilty until proven innocent) is because the state has a much larger budget. If both sides have equal budgets, people might have to start proving their innocence.

A lot of police misconduct is while on patrol because in cases like drug trafficking there isn't really a victim, its easy to pocket stuff or in any event you see how this leads to corruption.

What seems to work well is flat-out suing officers because it has been shown that when officers because liable for their actions, they cut down on needless actions.

--------------------

OfflineDeekay
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: what changes should/need to be made to address police misconduct [Re: learningtofly]
    #11473370 - 11/17/09 11:58 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

politicians need mandatory minimums for betraying the public trust and related offenses (scandal corruption)

police officers should have more education required to be eligable and a more intensive training. Also, i don't see how increased penalties for leos would be a bad thing either.

--------------------
Check out my gallery :sun:

Do YOU have The Band's sheet music books? I am paying cash!

Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

Re: what changes should/need to be made to address police misconduct [Re: Deekay]
    #11473427 - 11/17/09 12:09 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

What kind of education do you mean? A lot of police officers in Madison, WI have masters degrees. A lot of departments require 2yrs of college minimum but mostly accept at least Bachelor's degrees and masters. Do you mean education as far as dealing with potential criminals or education in general?

What kind of increased penalties for what? A lot get off easier (as far as criminal court, not civil court where they get fukin sued for wrongful death or whatever) because they claim it's in the line of duty. The problem is that yeah, they shouldn't do a lot of things they do but you can't expect them to sit back and evaluate each situation before acting otherwise they'd get nowhere.

But then there are cases where it's pretty obvious the cop was just on a power trip.

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
Re: what changes should/need to be made to address police misconduct [Re: Seuss]
    #11473592 - 11/17/09 12:45 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:

I heard somewhere that cops are able to turn off the video cameras that are mounted on their patrol cars at their own discretion. :mad:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

Re: what changes should/need to be made to address police misconduct [Re: Poid]
    #11473656 - 11/17/09 12:59 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
Quote:

Seuss said:

I heard somewhere that cops are able to turn off the video cameras that are mounted on their patrol cars at their own discretion. :mad:

Quote:

It is against DPD rules for an officer to turn off the camera, and officers cannot erase the videos.

not so much.

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: what changes should/need to be made to address police misconduct [Re: learningtofly]
    #11473667 - 11/17/09 01:00 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Well, either the ordinances in my town/city are different, or whoever told me that little tid-bit of information was full of shit. :holyshit:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

#11473702 - 11/17/09 01:07 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

probably full of shit. if they could turn it off, there would be no point in having them.

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11473713 - 11/17/09 01:09 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

That's what I said; the person who told me this was kind of a retard, though, so I just politely let him speak so he could shut up already and so I could leave and get on with my life. :stoned:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #11474709 - 11/17/09 03:32 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Stop listening to retards.  Even more valuable advice; stop repeating what retards tell you.

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: what changes should/need to be made to address police misconduct [Re: zappaisgod]
    #11474830 - 11/17/09 04:06 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I'm still young, and am trying to figure out which is which. :stoned:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

Re: what changes should/need to be made to address police misconduct [Re: zappaisgod]
    #11474877 - 11/17/09 04:14 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Stop listening to retards.  Even more valuable advice; stop repeating what retards tell you.

--------------------

OfflinePookztA Happy Birthday!
Medical Student

Loc: Illinois
    #11474936 - 11/17/09 04:27 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

maybe we could have police have an entheogenic experience once every few months, as part of their training, to keep them connected to all the people they serve so they don't develop a huge ego and go on a power trip!

or we could just tighten the laws around police misconduct so they are afraid to act out of line.

or use both for maximal results! :laugh:

--------------------
Abrahm
Spreading Psytrance & Love in the Midwest USA

Expand Your Consciousness. :mushroomgrow:

:peace: 9/11 Challenge: Explain the Evidence http://pookzta.blogspot.com

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: what changes should/need to be made to address police misconduct [Re: PookztA]
    #11474955 - 11/17/09 04:30 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

...or allow each citizen to carry loaded weapons with them, just so shit doesn't get too out of hand. :shrug:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

Re: what changes should/need to be made to address police misconduct [Re: PookztA]
    #11475003 - 11/17/09 04:37 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
...or allow each citizen to carry loaded weapons with them, just so shit doesn't get too out of hand. :shrug:

noooo. police are much more likely to use force against people who initiate force. If you have people pointing guns at police officers they aren't gonna fuck around, people will most likely get shot.

Quote:

PookztA said:

or we could just tighten the laws around police misconduct so they are afraid to act out of line.

In what manner?

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11475058 - 11/17/09 04:46 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

learningtofly said:
Quote:

Poid said:

noooo. police are much more likely to use force against people who initiate force. If you have people pointing guns at police officers they aren't gonna fuck around, people will most likely get shot.

If everybody had a gun, they don't need to be walking around pointing it at others all the time; I would believe that knowing that everyone has a gun can produce a certain amount of safety because it means that since everyone is able to defend themselves, anyone who wants to take the risk of committing a violent crime against anyone else will have to take into account that they may be killed on the spot.

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

#11475407 - 11/17/09 05:37 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
Quote:

learningtofly said:
Quote:

Poid said:

If everybody had a gun, they don't need to be walking around pointing it at others all the time; I would believe that knowing that everyone has a gun can produce a certain amount of safety because it means that since everyone is able to defend themselves, anyone who wants to take the risk of committing a violent crime against anyone else will have to take into account that they may be killed on the spot.

http://www.phoenixcopwatch.org/ Phoenix, AZ allows citizens to carry guns yet they still have a police brutality problem.

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11475436 - 11/17/09 05:40 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

learningtofly said:
Phoenix, AZ allows citizens to carry guns yet they still have a police brutality problem.

That isn't surprising--there are many dangerous gangsters there. :shrug:

Police officers do no always carry all of the blame in these type of cases; obviously, they were at least somewhat provoked in most of these cases.

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

#11475476 - 11/17/09 05:44 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
Quote:

learningtofly said:
Phoenix, AZ allows citizens to carry guns yet they still have a police brutality problem.

That isn't surprising--there are many dangerous gangsters there. :shrug:

so then how would having everyone carry a gun solve this problem? it wouldn't.

Quote:

Police officers do no always carry all of the blame in these type of cases; obviously, they were at least somewhat provoked in most of these cases.

i never said they did.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder