Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineImmunity
 User Gallery

Loc: north bay
Santa Cruz ID's
    #11464111 - 11/15/09 10:44 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Went on a foray this morning and found some specimens I could use help identifying! Lots of oak, redwood, alder, and manzanita around. Still waiting on spore prints for these, I'll include them later if necessary. Thanks in advance!

SPECIES #1

Habitat: Deciduous forest, in grasses.
There are spots of blue-green bruising on the gills and tinges of blue on the cap. I'm guessing it's gymopilus luteofolius.

SPECIES #2

The gills bruise a dark gray/blue.

SPECIES #3

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblejohnnyblaze2316

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: West coast Flag
Re: Santa Cruz ID's [Re: Immunity]
    #11464124 - 11/15/09 10:47 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

1 is lactarius
3 is amanita

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #11464140 - 11/15/09 10:50 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

1) Lactarius deliciosus
2) Lyophyllum decastes
3) Amanita calyptroderma

All are edible but I wouldn't really eat # 2 that much due to possible confusion with Clitocybe.

I picked a bunch of Boletus edulus, butter boletes and manzanite boletes near santa cruz this weekend.  The edulis are almost done, until it rains again.

OfflineImmunity
 User Gallery

Re: Santa Cruz ID's [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #11464378 - 11/15/09 11:31 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah I've been seeing all kinds of boletes around, though the only ones that I've specifically identified are the B. eastwoodiae. Mostly because over this weekend some friends of mine decided they were edible (like other boletes they see in the area, duh) and proceeded to get very sick after eating them. :/ Sigh.

Lactarius is supposed to produce milky latex-like fluid right? The cap flesh is vinaceous, doesn't seem to be turning green when bruised. There are spots of blue staining on the gills,  I didn't notice any, but eh. What would be distinguishing characteristics between say a gym luteofolius and this species?

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #11464410 - 11/15/09 11:36 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

and proceeded to get very sick after eating them. :/ Sigh.

Good to know, I have been wondering about the edibility of B. eastwoodiae.  Did your friends cook them?  How long did it take for the symptoms to begin?  And what did they notice?

Quote:

Lactarius is supposed to produce milky latex-like fluid right? The cap flesh is vinaceous, doesn't seem to be turning green when bruised.

Maybe you have Lactarius rubilacteus in that case.  Was the nearest tree a douglas fir or a pine?

Gymnopilus luteofolius looks way different and has orange gills with purplish stems and a red top and usually grows on pine wood.  The Lactarius is a much more fragile/brittle mushroom.

OfflineImmunity
 User Gallery

Re: Santa Cruz ID's [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #11464522 - 11/16/09 12:01 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, they did cook them, but I believe what got them sick were the raw pieces they sampled as/before they were cooking them. Symptoms set in at different times for the three people. The first two started around an hour or so after eating them, though one felt it 2-3 hours later. Nausea and vomiting were the first (and main) symptoms that ended after aroudn 6 hours. As they got progressively more nauseous the rest of us started to get more worried, at which point we decided to try and identify what they ate, which was not difficult. (I arrived after the picking and during the cooking, and trusted they knew what they were doing. :/ ) So once we figured that out we tossed the rest that was being cooked.

The experience was described to me by one of the lucky participants as follows. "It felt like my intestines were being stretched and/or ripped from the inside by some kind of monter." But, as I understand, it was generally characterized by intense and painful nausea and vomiting. The first two to show symptoms ended up paying a visit to the hospital and were given some charcoal and painkillers.

But on the subject of identification, I believe the closest tree would have been a pine tree.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates