Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Work ethic / Work dogma
    #1145984 - 12/16/02 02:33 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Alot of people seem to think that the "working class" are on the bottom rung of society because they are too lazy, or unmotivated to improve themselves by education, and work experience.

I think they're overlooking the existance of "strong work ethic", which I prefer to call "work dogma". They have a misplaced loyalty to the companies they work for. They treat their employment much as they would treat a marriage, they remain faithfull to the one that they have chosen/chose them, and feel it is unethical or even immoral to even look at other career opportunities.

They seem to look down on people like myself who have had a dozen different jobs at a dozen different places, and seem to be fixated on working at one place until the day they die, or retire.

I'm not sure where this came from, I'm not sure if it can be blamed on "Corporate America" since none of the people I've ever worked FOR seemed to give a shit. Maybe they used to a generation ago, and it's just been handed down and become a part of the culture.

Is this just a local thing around here, or have you experienced it around where you live?

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Work ethic / Work dogma [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1145997 - 12/16/02 02:38 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

These people are just thankful to have a job, many of them because the come from a country where they couldn't find one.

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator
 Arcade Champion: Skeleton Park

#1146128 - 12/16/02 03:28 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I think that's true, people who switch jobs quite a bit( even as bottom rung jobs) are looked at as somethings wrong. I personally am a creature of habit, I get comfortable and don't like things too change. On the other hand there are people who work here who just got here and are ready to leave. They are looked at as something is wrong(some cases there is, but same with some dicks who've been around a long time). I guess they are looked at as someone who refuses to move up in an organization, but why do that if you don't like it there?

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #1146538 - 12/16/02 06:58 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

They treat their employment much as they would treat a marriage, they remain faithfull to the one that they have chosen/chose them, and feel it is unethical or even immoral to even look at other career opportunities.

That's part of it, for sure. But in my experience there are just as many (probably more) who just like the security.

"Yeah, it's not the best job in the world, but it pays the bills. Why bust my hump looking for something better? What if I get a new job that pays more and then the company goes bankrupt? That's exactly what happened to Ned a year ago. Remember Ned from the loading dock? Well, he's on unemployment now, and his wife's got another bun in the oven. Damn tough to get a decent job these days, so in my mind if you get one you keep it. Besides, if I leave her I lose all my seniority. Why mess with a good thing?"

I sorted mail on the night shift for seven years with pretty much that same attitude. I might still be there if I hadn't had a girlfriend to kick my butt. Some of the guys who were there when I bailed are STILL there now, but on the day shift. It doesn't seem to bother them a bit.

pinky

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Work ethic / Work dogma [Re: Phred]
    #1146627 - 12/16/02 07:20 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Security is a common reason for them to stick with a job as a personal choice, but alot of them have a strange attitude about it that isn't about security, it's about loyalty, and your job being an important part of who you are.

Somehow they see being a "free agent" as some kind of character flaw.

I don't get that.  :confused:

--------------------

Offlinefrogsheath
Stranger
Loc: Chicago, Illinois U.S.A.
    #1147118 - 12/16/02 09:34 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

I think that phenomenon is fading away as companies have folded, downsized, merged, moved overseas and so on. I agree it's still around though. I think it's a myth that dies hard. The American work ethic is still a great thing though. If you're willing to work hard at something and persevere there is lots of opportunity to be had and people know that.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Work ethic / Work dogma [Re: frogsheath]
    #1147188 - 12/16/02 10:09 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Alot of people have the false notion that if you work hard, you will be rewarded, and that's not always true. Most of the time if you work hard, you will be exploited.

You won't prosper until yourealize that it isn't hard work that rewards, it's exploitation. You have to find opportunities, and take advantage of them, or you wind up someone else's opportunity, and they will take advantage of you.

--------------------

Offlinefrogsheath
Stranger
Loc: Chicago, Illinois U.S.A.
    #1147207 - 12/16/02 10:21 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Good point.

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
    #1147497 - 12/17/02 03:02 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

In reply to:

You won't prosper until you realize that it isn't hard work that rewards, it's exploitation. You have to find opportunities, and take advantage of them, or you wind up someone else's opportunity, and they will take advantage of you.

That's true if reward = money. Many people have a different value system and are much happier that way.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Work ethic / Work dogma [Re: zeronio]
    #1147847 - 12/17/02 06:44 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Hmmmm...

Like feeling like your better than somebody else?

That could explain a large portion of the work dogma phenomenon.

I'm not sure if this is common everywhere or not, but at funerals around here here there's always two (give or take) guys in ratty t-shirts, old blue jeans, and a ballcap (baseball hat). They are the ones who dig the hole, lower the casket, and fill in the hole, which is usually done with some piece of machinery.During the funeral, they never do anytining that gets them dirty, and I always wondered why they didn't change into something more appropriate.

I realized one day that these people are much like the ceremonial shaman at a native american funeral who dresses as a wolf, or eagle or something. They represent "The Workin' man", an important spiritual icon to these people.

I guess they just don't want to be buried by a guy in a suit.

--------------------

OfflineBladeLSD
Squirrel Master

#1153836 - 12/19/02 06:48 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

You ever see the cover of the beattle's album thats supposed to represent a funeral it feeds into the whole McCarthy getting killed thing. I think george is the worker (Dressed Plain clothes), Ringo is the preacher (Bible in Hand), McCarthy is the corpse (no shoes on-english traditiion), and lennon is god (dressed in all white).

--------------------
We might get glimpse's of objectivity every now, and then, but we're so inherently locked in our temporal and corporeal selves that we're irrevocably locked into subjectivity :crazy:

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Work ethic / Work dogma [Re: BladeLSD]
    #1153993 - 12/19/02 07:45 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

*McCartney

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion