Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
cap and pin deterioration
    #1115448 - 12/05/02 08:34 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

It looks like this is my week for contaminations.  :frown:

The following are pics are of the PF strain on BRF cakes. A couple of days after the pins came on I noticed several odd looking pins, and now I have these deformed looking mushrooms and odd growths. Only a small part of each cake has so far been affected. The other areas have healthy looking fruit.

In the last picture it looks as though part of the cap has been eaten away. I read through the new contam FAQ and the closest thing I could find is some sort of mite. Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this? What action(s) did you take?   

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: cap and pin deterioration [Re: dog]
    #1115452 - 12/05/02 08:37 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Looks like you got some bad genetics maybe.

That last one isnt contam, its mutated. Dunno about the odd growth thing tho. Guess thats mutation too? Maybe the environment or something.. couldnt tell ya. Good luck.

Invisibledog
straw dog

Re: cap and pin deterioration [Re: ]
    #1115575 - 12/05/02 09:37 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Hey, you're right! After reading your reply I re-exained the cakes with a magnifying glass. The spots that I mistook for damage are actually gills growing on the tops of the caps. There are also pins growing upside down, growing inside out and a few have multiple caps.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

InvisibleDreaMaTrix
Shaman I am

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Falling into place
    #1117095 - 12/06/02 11:55 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

That is verticillium.

--------------------

"We are the one's we have been waiting for" - Hopi saying

Invisibledog
straw dog

Re: cap and pin deterioration [Re: DreaMaTrix]
    #1119621 - 12/07/02 09:57 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I did an extensive search and verticillium is exactly what these cakes have. It is not too advanced so I should be able to save them.  :smile:

Thanks DreaMaTrix.

--------------------

InvisibleDreaMaTrix
Shaman I am

Folding@home Statistics
Re: cap and pin deterioration [Re: dog] * 1
    #1120222 - 12/07/02 04:23 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

You are welcome.
Verticillium is quite easy to distinguish, especially with the help of 'the mushroom cultivator" ~ Paul Stamets. Here is the entry:

316/The Mushroom Cultivator
Macroscopic appearance:
Slightly infected mushrooms characterized by brown colored spots or streaks on the basal or upper regions of the stem and on the caps of developing primordial. These
spots become grayish colored from spore production. Afflicted mushrooms often bend to toward the
side that is infected. If the mushrooms do develop at all, they are typically tilted to one side or the
other. Verticillium attacks developing fruitbodies?the more severely infected are grossly malformed, especially young primordia which are turned into sclerotia-like balls of amorphous whitish
mycelia. More mature but diseased mushrooms have a deformed pileus, sometimes with a ?hair
lip", and frequently with a downy grayish mycelium over the cap. The stem can be covered with a
downy mycelium and often vertically splits, roughly resembling a peeled banana. The cap becomes
disproportionately small relative to the fatter than normal stem. The overall texture of the mushroom
is dry and leathery.
When this mold attacks Psilocybe cubensis, there are several additional characters worthy of
note. Parasitized P. cubensis caps frequently become plane at an early stage. The stem becomes
swollen and hollow, narrowing radically towards the apex. Only in an extremely humid environment
does a downy mildew develop over the cap and stem surface. The "Verticillium spots'' so commonly reported by growers of Agaricus. a white mushroom, are more accurately called "Verticillium
streaks" on P. cubensis. a mushroom with a brownish cap and a whitish stem.

Good luck

--------------------

Invisibledog
straw dog

#1122756 - 12/08/02 07:29 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

My copy of TMC is on the way.

5 mushies for you!

--------------------

Invisibledog
straw dog

#1145662 - 12/16/02 10:35 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Here is an update for anyone else who suffers an outbreak of verticillium. I cleaned the infected cakes of all pins etc. and after dunking them in water over night I gave them a 15 minute dip in a 150:1 water:bleach solution. All the cakes are now fruiting beautifully.  :laugh: 

--------------------

Offlinedumlovesyou
retired shroomer
 User Gallery

Loc: One dimension
    #1262003 - 01/30/03 12:04 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

That is verticillium.

Ok. So is it bad to eat it? I have done so till now. :smile:

--------------------
I see trees of green, psylocibe mushrooms too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself what a wonderful world

InvisibleDreaMaTrix
Shaman I am

Folding@home Statistics
Re: cap and pin deterioration [Re: dumlovesyou]
    #1264138 - 01/31/03 02:09 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Ok. So is it bad to eat it?

No, according to TMC, verticillium is non-pathogenic :smile:

--------------------

Edited by MAIA (02/05/03 06:06 AM)

OfflineMushyMay
Brian Eno is mypersonal God FNORD

Loc: ACT, Australia
    #1279218 - 02/04/03 04:37 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

are there any contams that can cause caps to grow like that and be harmful if consumed.  I grew some maza's and there were a lot of mutant caps.  I ate them anyway and got hell fuckin sick.  I thought I was gonna die.
:confused: :frown:

--------------------
MushyMay is a fictional character, as a result any information provided by MushyMay is also fictitious.

InvisibleDreaMaTrix
Shaman I am

Folding@home Statistics
    #1280522 - 02/05/03 04:45 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

No, according to MMGG, verticillium is non-pathogenic 

Oooops, I meant TMC, Stamets, if a mod could edit that for me, please :smile:

--------------------

OfflineISH
PsilocybianTranslationServices
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Planet Earth
    #1293096 - 02/09/03 08:30 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Thise pictures are disturbing, it almost looks like it would hurt. hehehe

ISH

--------------------
Join The Shroomery Folding @ Home Team!

I think of going to the grave without having a psychedelic experience, like going to the grave without having sex. It means that you never figured out what it was all about. The mystery is in the body, and the way the body works itself into nature.
- Terence McKenna, Archaic Revival

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract