Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleHelltick
Player
 User Gallery

Loc: Deep...
Huge tax cuts coming.
    #11412211 - 11/08/09 04:12 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Because anyone who is self employed with 1/2 a brain will stop reporting income resulting in a 100% tax cut, just like the banksters...wheeeee land of the FREE.

--------------------
  My Agar Tek. 
  My Greenhouse Tek. 

"It's not good when it's done, it's done when it's good"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenickelz34
Fungi Eater

Loc: Quebec, Canada Flag
Re: Huge tax cuts coming. [Re: Helltick]
    #11432846 - 11/11/09 12:27 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

huh ? lol

--------------------
Super Easy LC

Shroomerys secrets to free things !! All users contribute!!

The reason my post count is so low is because I know how to use the  search option on this site

Rotten Status : closed site gone

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
Re: Huge tax cuts coming. [Re: nickelz34]
    #11432885 - 11/11/09 12:34 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

;ol;ololololollolol

InvisibleDieCommie

#11432994 - 11/11/09 12:52 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I plan on just getting a low paying stress free job to avoid taxes.  My wife and I's combined income just went from 20k to 50k and its already not worth it because of taxes.  Id rather live with the 20k income, keep all of my money and have less stress.

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
Re: Huge tax cuts coming. [Re: DieCommie]
    #11434315 - 11/11/09 03:48 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

The trouble with not reporting income is that you have to do something with the money. If you keep it under the mattress, or in a sd box, inflation will eat it up worse than the govt. In 10 years, that 100k will buy about what 20k buys today. But if you declare some every year and pay a minimal amount of taxes, you can invest it and the 100k - maybe 10k in taxes becomes 500k when properly invested. It will still only be worth what 100k is worth today but you will dodge the inflation bullet.

Or you can just make enough to get by on and dodge taxes but then you never have anything. When things get really tough you may be broke.

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

OfflineMrBump
Third prize is you're fired
 User Gallery

Loc: Denver, Colorado
    #11436838 - 11/11/09 08:42 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
I plan on just getting a low paying stress free job to avoid taxes.  My wife and I's combined income just went from 20k to 50k and its already not worth it because of taxes. 

What? please explain.

I have lived off of around $20k and currently live off of above $50k and I would never in a million yrs go back to making that little of money.

But then again I never took full advantage of all the gov subsidies that the poor routinely take advantage off. I didnt need rent subidies b/c I lived in a large house w/ 5 or 6 other people which made rent cheap, I never took gov subsidized health insurance when I know i qualified, etc.

Sure, I look at my paystub and grunt when I read the withholding section, but I wouldnt react by quitting my job b/c I didnt like my tax rate.

--------------------
If it weren't for the bloody corpses, I wouldn't have any corpses at all.

There are two ways to get to the top of an oak tree: start climbing or sit on an acorn.

Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean?

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Huge tax cuts coming. [Re: MrBump]
    #11438348 - 11/12/09 01:07 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

We did just fine with 20k between my wife and I.  Bear in mind we have no kids.  Now we pay around 1k in taxes every month vs nearly 0 before.  And we are working harder.  That takes our 50k income down to 38k.  And thats not even counting hidden taxes like gas, etc.  Taxes most certainly steer me away from a high paying high responsibility job as well as a high property tax home.  Why should I stress out to make 30k more and just hand half of that excess over.

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #11438915 - 11/12/09 06:31 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I am single and 20K would be hard.

I wouldn't want to do it.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleMisterMuscaria
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Huge tax cuts coming. [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #11438925 - 11/12/09 06:34 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I've been able to live on far less than 20k a year.
So have billions of other people.

InvisibleLayYouIn
Taurus
Male User Gallery

Loc: Organ
    #11439183 - 11/12/09 08:27 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Right now im getting $352 a week after taxes from unemployment.  I live alone in a one bedroom apartment.  its more than enough to live off of.  I drive a insured car, have cable television, have a cell phone(im making this post on it right now), i take long showers, i go out drinking/pool once a week.

It's all about counting your blessings.

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
Re: Huge tax cuts coming. [Re: LayYouIn]
    #11439963 - 11/12/09 11:29 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Right now im getting $352 a week after taxes from unemployment.  I live alone in a one bedroom apartment.  its more than enough to live off of.  I drive a insured car, have cable television, have a cell phone(im making this post on it right now), i take long showers, i go out drinking/pool once a week.

It's all about counting your blessings.

That shows a good attitude

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

InvisibleDieCommie

#11440325 - 11/12/09 12:25 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Madtowntripper said:
I am single and 20K would be hard.

I wouldn't want to do it.

:rofl:  Then you lack perspective.  :shrug:

Quote:

MisterMuscaria said:
I've been able to live on far less than 20k a year.
So have billions of other people.

:yesnod:

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11442665 - 11/12/09 05:42 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

When I was in college, I lived off of about 8k/year or less...

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Huge tax cuts coming. [Re: ChuangTzu]
    #11443026 - 11/12/09 06:24 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Thats hard core bro!

InvisibleChespirito
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#11443292 - 11/12/09 06:54 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Dont worry, when you get your professorship youll be making 3 times that 50k

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Huge tax cuts coming. [Re: Chespirito]
    #11443784 - 11/12/09 07:46 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I doubt Ill ever be good enough to get such a job or such a paycheck.

InvisibleChespirito
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#11443797 - 11/12/09 07:47 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Ha look at this guy, always with the self-deprecation

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: Huge tax cuts coming. [Re: Chespirito]
    #11443909 - 11/12/09 07:56 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Well, there are many thousands of people in the world with PhD level research abilities willing to work for much less then that.  Im not gonna out class myself by demanding more then they are willing to work for.  Gotta stay competitive y'know.

InvisibleChespirito
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#11444394 - 11/12/09 09:03 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Well thats what a professorship will eventually pay.  Depending on the school and how badly they want you, when you start you might get significantly less than that.  However if they really want you the pay will reflect that.  Hell I know (of) professors who get paid 300k, one guy that gets paid 500k and another guy that gets paid millions because tech companies put him on their board.

Often times though getting a good professorship is pure luck.  For instance if you did research in area X and the school for some reason wants someone who does area X then you will be a candidate.  Depending on the quality of the research you did you might get that job.  Professorships are definitely sought after. 

And you should definitely try and get more than other people are working for.  Just try and perform good quality research, get published in Nature, Science, Phys Rev Letters and you are well ahead of the average person with a PhD.

Theres certainly no reason to go into a PhD thinking you are going to do mediocre work.  I mean we all know none of us are ever going to be Feynman, but it'd be nice to do well

OfflineYrat
Hello

#11451323 - 11/13/09 10:58 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

tax cuts, eh? A glimpse at the "modern American's" life:

So I work my butt off, save my money, get a decent job, now I have the "privilege" of paying 39% of my income to the federal government. But the federal government is very good to me, it "allows" me to keep 61% of my income. God Bless them. I mean after all they do permit me to keep some of the money I work hard for, because after all we do know that if they need it they can tax me as much as they want.

If I live in NY, CA, NJ, MA I also have to pay an additional 10% state income tax, but a 49% to 51% split is still fair right? I mean, my country is so free that it lets me be a majority share holder of my own income! God Bless my freedom.

So now I buy a house with that 51% of my money, but god-forbid I just live in the house I bought with my own money. Since I have the "privilege" of living in a "free" state, I have to pay the state rent, in the form of property taxes. So there goes 2% of my property's value a year just to have a place of my own to call "home".

Anytime I decide to go out and buy something, I have to pay "protection" money to the state, circa 8%, but commerce needs to be protected right?

Finally, after working hard for 45 years of my life, and I croak, anything I've had the "privilege" of earning is taxed at 45% for my kids. Ok you say, I should have given it to my mistress, but any gift over $13,000 to my mistress (or the disabled kid down the street), gets taxed 50%...

Whoever said Freedom Wasn't Free certainly had the right idea.

Anyone in the world would say that the old-system of sharecropping after the Civil War was immoral. What is the difference between that and what we have now? It's just sharecropping in a "service" economy...

The road to serfdom is where we are at, not where we are going. In addition to all the income the government expropriates from any citizen, it also has the right to hold us indefinitely, torture us, search our houses without a warrant, audit us without any evidence, take away any of our constitutional rights at will, rewrite property laws, steal from us through inflation etc. etc. etc.

Brave new world here we come!

--------------------
"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root."
-Henry David Thoreau
Strike The Root

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order