Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

North Spore Shop: Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Trying to reinstall windows...no luck
    #11413293 - 11/08/09 06:52 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

So, I got some sort of virus and then a trojan that caused my computer(Leonovo T60) to not boot. It will boot into safemode but will not do anything if I try to load windows normally.  I've got my Windows XP SP2 bootable CD to try to do a clean install of XP.  It will load up, and it looks like I would be able to install it, but then it says that no hard disk drive is detected, and then I can only quit.

I tried running it through safemode, got it rebooted, loaded up the Windows XP Setup, and right before it gets to installing, I get a BSD.  I'm out of ideas and don't know what else to do now.  Any ideas?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblefrith
God

Loc: Philadelphia, PA Flag
Re: Trying to reinstall windows...no luck [Re: daussaulit]
    #11413785 - 11/08/09 08:08 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

maybe try formatting the whole thing before trying to install windows. blow it all out and start totally from scratch.

you can do that with the GParted live cd.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted/files/gparted-live-stable/?_test=var2

download that and burn it AS AN IMAGE to a cd. you can do it with roxio or whatever. boot to that cd and format everything.

--------------------

OfflineSprezzatura
Virtuoso
Male

Loc: On the Atlantic Ocean
    #11419765 - 11/09/09 03:24 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

First try to reboot in Safe mode, then run any anti-virus software you have.
If this doesn't work, you might have to do some registry edits.... which can be quite a delicate process, as doing the wrong edits can potentially do some real damage.

Go to goole, type in your virus name and how to do registry edits to manually fix the problem.

If all of this does not work, you can try to do a system restore, by loading settings from a previous date... this can be achieved in safe mode.  This process may require some registry edits, it may not, depending on your P.C.

Then, if all of this fails, the ultimate way to fix a computer is to re-install a new copy of windows... most computers post 2002 have this option... I'm not sure if a Leonovo T60 has it or not, but all Gateways have it.
Just take a look at your System Recovery options before your computer attempts to boot up windows.

I had to do this after my girlfriend disabled my firewalls and got me 16 trojan horse viruses, a new-age version of Hack Attack, and 12 other worm viruses.
I managed to get all of the .exe spyware off of my computer, but the viruses completely screwed up the registries and I didn't feel like sitting there for 2 months fixing everything with the risk of destroying my computer completely if I made one tiny mistake.

F11 on pre-boot up option, will give system recovery information...  it takes 4GB of space... and what it does is, takes all of your safe files (Programs, Music, pics, art, writings etc.) and puts it all on a back up file and installs a completely fresh copy of windows with all Drivers, Registries, everything, completely new. 
All you have to do is move some of your old safe files from the backup file, to your new windows and it's like nothing bad ever happened.

Gateway will actually prompt you with an option to move all of your music files automatically into a new Window's Media Player... which for me, was about 8,000 song files I didn't have to manually move.
So it's pretty easy to do and doesn't take long to get your stuff back together.

A tip for the future: Keep your Anti-Virus/spyware/malware software up to date, and check your registry for unknown .exe programs.

Good luck man, I know that shit is a pain in the ass when that happens.

--------------------
Spectaculorum procedere debet

:mushroom2: :beer:

OfflineDSHSB
Stranger
    #11420115 - 11/09/09 04:17 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

daussaulit said:
I've got my Windows XP SP2 bootable CD to try to do a clean install of XP.  It will load up, and it looks like I would be able to install it, but then it says that no hard disk drive is detected, and then I can only quit.

Is that pirated?  Try a new cd.  Also, when it is trying to detect the HDD, is that in BIOS or are you already running Windows setup?

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: Trying to reinstall windows...no luck [Re: DSHSB]
    #11420834 - 11/09/09 06:06 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Not a pirated copy.

So, I was able to finally get it installed.  I updated the BIOS and the hard drive firmware via some bootable cds.  Afterwards I would still get the BSD during XP setup, but I changed the SATA compatibility settings and it installed.  The huge pain in the ass was this Intel Matrix Storage drivers that had to be installed or it would give a BSD.  I did scan the computer with a bootable copy of Avira Antivir, but some other trojan took over and infected most of the driver files.

Invisiblemagicbastard
I'm a teapot

#11421759 - 11/09/09 08:05 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Edited by magicbastard (11/09/09 08:29 PM)

Offlineinsectvhore
lord of flies

#11430296 - 11/11/09 12:13 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

XP, being an ancient outdated obsolete OS, cannot recognize SATA drives

you need to supply it with drivers for your hdd at initial setup

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: Trying to reinstall windows...no luck [Re: insectvhore]
    #11434827 - 11/11/09 04:59 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Or you can sometimes go into the machine's BIOS and configure the SATA hard drive to run in legacy mode. This will allow XP to see the drive and install, but it will run at slow speed.

You'll eventually want to install the SATA drivers and switch the BIOS setting back to SATA to run a full speed.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

OfflineIdiot
I Am Moron!
Male User Gallery

Loc: 41.90231, 12.45390 Flag
    #11435449 - 11/11/09 06:05 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------

Customize your Shroomery experience!
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
Re: Trying to reinstall windows...no luck [Re: Idiot]
    #11438684 - 11/12/09 03:47 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

:lol:

Jump to top Pages: 1

North Spore Shop: Bulk Substrate