Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
St Johns wort as an MAOI?
    #1156635 - 12/19/02 10:40 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

ive recently found out that St. Johns wort, a nutritional supplement, is a mild MAOI...would it potentiate Mushrooms? If so, in what kind of doses? Anyone have any experience?

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSnuffelzFurever
Psychonaut

Loc: Miami, florida
Re: St Johns wort as an MAOI? [Re: PDU]
    #1156642 - 12/19/02 10:52 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

i dunno, but if you find out, can you tell me pleasE? i wouldnt mind trying that :-)

--------------------
"I think it's time we stop
Children, What's the sound,
Everybody look what's going down"

InvisibleMr Wobblehead
WizardExtraordinary &Absolute CocoaSlut

Loc: They tell me it's a hospi...
    #1157124 - 12/20/02 04:52 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I've used SJW as an anti depressant.  Part of its action is as a seratonin uptake inhibitor, but is profoundly much better for you than chemical ones which i would never use.

It is the fact that it is an SRI that makes it unsuitable for use with other anti depressant medications as some of them contain MAOI's or are SRI's themselves, and using an MAOI or another SRI with SJW is very therefore rather dangerous.

However, having said that i have no idea what you might experience with mixing shrooms and SJW.

To begin you need to take SJW regularly everyday for at least four to six weeks in order for it to start working.  Only then will you be able to make any sort of deliberation as to its effects on shrooms.

I used to use the tea bags.  And would have one cup when i woke and one before sleep and two evely spaced during the day.  (You do get quite fond of the taste once the drug starts to kick in - i think that's how you tell it's working :smile:).  After a few weeks you really can feel this stuff in your mind, but you have to keep taking it regularly in order for it to do this.

If you do decide to have a go then please report your trip experiences in shroomery.

Here's an article i found....

http://www.planetherbs.com/articles/depress.html 

OfflineCryptic
WarpedCndn

Loc: Canada
Re: St Johns wort as an MAOI? [Re: Mr Wobblehead]
    #1158113 - 12/20/02 12:27 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

its a SSRI, Meaning it weakens the Trip.. Check Erowid out

--------------------
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

While the Trees Grow out of your Skin, Can i plant you so a forest will grow?
"When you want it, it goes away to Fast. Times you hate it always seem to last" - Marilyn Manson

Anonymous

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Cryptic]
    #1158346 - 12/20/02 02:19 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

OfflineCryptic
WarpedCndn

Loc: Canada
Re: St Johns wort as an MAOI? [Re: ]
    #1158904 - 12/20/02 06:30 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

Show me the page where it says its a MAOI and not a SSRI and i'll accept it..

Your not suppose to mix MAOI's and SSRI's.. Not good for you at all, And that being said, pretty much proves that it isint a MAOI

--------------------
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

While the Trees Grow out of your Skin, Can i plant you so a forest will grow?
"When you want it, it goes away to Fast. Times you hate it always seem to last" - Marilyn Manson

Anonymous

Re: St Johns wort as an MAOI? [Re: Cryptic]
    #1159083 - 12/20/02 07:51 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

St. John's Wort is both an SSRI and a MAOI. That's what a doctor told me. I'm sure he knows more than you.

InvisibleMr Wobblehead
WizardExtraordinary &Absolute CocoaSlut

Loc: They tell me it's a hospi...
Re: St Johns wort as an MAOI? [Re: ]
    #1159292 - 12/21/02 12:01 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

If that were the case i'm sure that people would be dropping like flies taking it. Just because one doctor says so doesn't make it true. You need to provide some evidence to support this statement.

One doctor told me that it was impossible to live on my vegan diet. I was stood in front of him alive at the time, he got really pissed off with me when i pointed out the absurdity of his statement to him. He said that i'd eventually suffer serious illness if i continued anyway and that amounted to the same thing. That was 11 years ago. I'm still a vegan and i cycle everywhere, and i'm fit and healthy.

Just because someone is a doctor doesn't make them omniscient. Their exams do not have a 100% pass mark.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #1159348 - 12/21/02 01:24 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

When St. John's Wort was first being studied some of the phamacology indicated that it worked through weak monoamine oxidase inhibiting (MAOI) activity and serotonin re-uptake inhibition. Recent studies lead us to believe that St. John's Wort does exhibit very weak MAOI properties, but that it is not technically a MAOI.

There are earlier reports that St John's wort had monoamine oxidase
inhibitory (MAOI) activity and concerns that (in large doses) it may
potentiate MAOI therapy. However, it is now generally accepted that
monoamine oxidase inhibition plays little or no part in the antidepressant
activity of St John's wort.

Barnes J., Anderson L. A., Phillipson J. D. Herbal medicines. A guide for
healthcare professionals. London: Pharmaceutical Press, 2002

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinestoner2002
Stoner

Re: St Johns wort as an MAOI? [Re: Seuss]
    #1160742 - 12/21/02 04:33 PM (21 years, 3 months ago)

I'm taking a Saint Johns wort supplement pill every day. So should I quit taking it before I take shrooms for the first time? If so, how long should I quit for?

OfflineBladeLSD
Squirrel Master

Re: St Johns wort as an MAOI? [Re: stoner2002]
    #1161439 - 12/22/02 04:03 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

is chocolate a mild MAOI???

--------------------
We might get glimpse's of objectivity every now, and then, but we're so inherently locked in our temporal and corporeal selves that we're irrevocably locked into subjectivity :crazy:

Offlinedjd799
journeyman

Re: St Johns wort as an MAOI? [Re: BladeLSD]
    #1161441 - 12/22/02 04:04 AM (21 years, 3 months ago)

chocolate is actually a mild stimulant

OfflineJonasQuim
Psychopscilocybin
 User Gallery

Re: St Johns wort as an MAOI? [Re: djd799]
    #11351709 - 10/30/09 12:46 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Ok so no-one has answered the question properly here...
Would it have an effect with shrooms? You can get st.johns wort capsules over the counter and me and my ex once took about 3 and couldn't stop giggling.
I'm assuming if you took it in this way using it for 3 weeks prior to a trip would not be neccesary?

--------------------
"The weekend has landed...
All that exists now is clubs, drugs, pubs and parties. I've got 48 hours off from the world, man. I'm gonna blow steam out my head like a screaming kettle, I'm gonna talk cod shit to strangers all night, I'm gonna lose the plot on the dancefloor. The free radicals inside me are freakin', man! Tonight I'm Jip Travolta, I'm Peter Popper, I'm going to never-never land with my chosen family, man. We're gonna get more spaced out than Neil Armstrong ever did..."

Invisibleuncle_rico
my own worst enemy
Male User Gallery

Re: St Johns wort as an MAOI? [Re: JonasQuim]
    #11352130 - 10/30/09 01:53 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

St. Johns Wort is an over the counter item which makes it very convenient .... but I haven't heard that it works to potentiate psilocybin.

Syrian Rue (harmala) does work very well as an MAOI.  Easily mail-ordered and extracted. A very serious potentiator of psilocybin.  Fasten your seat belt if you decide to use Syrian Rue.

Good luck.

--------------------

Offlinenaturallyunnatural
Paradoxial Existential Life
Male

Loc: Michigan
    #11352210 - 10/30/09 02:08 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Interesting. Would it work to make DMT orally active?

--------------------
:dna: :sainthofmann: :dna:

"Take time  to stop and be the flowers." - Albert Hofmann

Does anyone want to send me a free Psilocybe cubensis spore syringe? PM me!:pm:

Offlinedummy
I am you and what I see is me

Re: St Johns wort as an MAOI? [Re: naturallyunnatural]
    #11352345 - 10/30/09 02:31 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

yes it would. MAOI's stop(inhibit) the enzyme monoamine oxidase from breaking DMT down as you digest it.

--------------------
People never seem to know what they least suspect is coming next.

Offlinefiona9
Stranger

Re: St Johns wort as an MAOI? [Re: dummy]
    #11431928 - 11/11/09 09:24 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Just in case any of you are women, there's something you should know about St. John's Wort.  It causes your birth control pill to become inactive.  Just thought you might find that interesting.

OfflineFlyingDutchman
Professional slacker
Male

Loc: Netherlands
Re: St Johns wort as an MAOI? [Re: fiona9]
    #11432012 - 11/11/09 09:45 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

fiona9 said:
Just in case any of you are women, there's something you should know about St. John's Wort.  It causes your birth control pill to become inactive.  Just thought you might find that interesting.

Quote:

fiona9 said:

This info can problably save some fellow Shroomers a lot of trouble!

I'm not sure if other MAOI's have effect on birth control pills too, but it might be smart to read into this
when planning on taking an MAOI; being a women and using birth control through pills..

So far I haven't seen a thread pass by devoted to MAOI information, but if there is none
( haven't searched but I guess it would give a lot of threads with individual / specific questions ),
Would it be nice to have a sticky or at least a bulk-info thread about them on these forums?
I mean, it isn't uncommon for people to use MAOI's, be it necessary as with ayahuasca,
or to boost other substances in strenght..

If this would be of interest I wouldn't mind creating a thread, I recall a page with copy-paste-able text which I could dig up.

Offlinepcube
baron von schmirgenheimer
Male

Loc: the internet, which contr...
Re: St Johns wort as an MAOI? [Re: naturallyunnatural]
    #11432469 - 11/11/09 11:23 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

naturallyunnatural said:
Interesting. Would it work to make DMT orally active?

Yes, MAOI's have been used to make DMT orally active. If you are interested in this, look into ayahuasca.

--------------------
Everything seems like a dream...

Abuse said:
whoever this swim guy is, he's getting to all the drugs before everyone else, not just on this forum on many others too. swim's a little bit selfish :grin:

The RR's Notes Thread

I've got an R44 print the size of a doorknob that I'd love to trade for a pan cyans print! PM me!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies