Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineukshroomer
Law Abider

Loc: Netherlands
mushroom compost
    #11409666 - 11/08/09 06:17 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

hi there. i was wondering what any experienced cultivators thought of this compost and whether or not it would good for cubensis. it comes from a mushroom farm here in the uk. check out this link.

www.kentdownmushrooms.co.uk/compost.html

i would like to use it as a bulk substrate. any input would be appreciated. i have been spawning rye grain to straw and have had a lot of contam problems. i grow in my small bedroom and i have a lot of clothes and other stuff that may be harborers of contams.  any advice  on what i can do to clean up the situation?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCitizen13
Jack's wasted life.

Re: mushroom compost [Re: ukshroomer]
    #11409746 - 11/08/09 06:54 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

mushroom compost is compost that has previously had mushrooms growing on it, essentially depleting it of any nutrients that your mushrooms need to grow. don't buy it.

as far as your contams? clean your room.

--------------------

InvisiblePremedman1
Assistant to the insistent
 User Gallery

Loc: South of Sanity
Trusted Cultivator
    #11409747 - 11/08/09 06:55 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

The term "mushroom compost" usually refers to bulk substrate that has already been used at least once for commercial mushroom production, seriously reducing its growth potential.

It is a recyclable byproduct usually intended for tilling into one's garden.

It is not a preferable choice for a bulk substrate.

For best results, make your own compost.

--------------------
Build a man a fire, he is warm for the night. Set a man on fire, he is warm for the rest of his life.

InvisibleCH HELL
Brain Sturgeon
Male User Gallery

Loc: mars Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: mushroom compost [Re: Premedman1]
    #11409813 - 11/08/09 07:27 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Make your own compost,  it easy and fun.  You can adjust PH and N levels perfectly and breaks nutrients down to become more edible to fungi.
GL,
CH

Offlinehardcorekid83
hardcorekid
Male User Gallery

Loc: pittsburgh pa
Re: mushroom compost [Re: CH HELL]
    #11409873 - 11/08/09 07:56 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

call them and find out if mushrooms had been grown on it already. if you dont want to make your own and they say it has not been used than give it a try. if they say it has been used already than make you own or check out some sponsors. like high mountain compost.

InvisibleCitizen13
Jack's wasted life.

Re: mushroom compost [Re: hardcorekid83]
    #11409876 - 11/08/09 07:57 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

hardcorekid83 said:
call them and find out if mushrooms had been grown on it already. if you dont want to make your own and they say it has not been used than give it a try. if they say it has been used already than make you own or check out some sponsors. like high mountain compost.

i assure you, that is what mushroom compost means. save yourself the phonecall.

--------------------

Offlineukshroomer
Law Abider

Re: mushroom compost [Re: Citizen13]
    #11417220 - 11/09/09 07:53 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

yes i asked the owner of the farm and he said it would be suitable for growing oyster mushrooms. i also asked if it was already pasteurized and he said it was. we had a chat about mushroom cultivation and he said i could pick up the compost anytime. it is not spent mushroom compost. do you think it is worth the trip 40 minute trip to pick it up? i could save time tather than making my own compost plus i live in the city where manure is rather hard to come across.

thank you

--------------------

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #11417231 - 11/09/09 07:58 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

If that's all true, then try it out.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineDoctor
Strangled
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11417459 - 11/09/09 09:14 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

If you get stuck and don't like making your own have look around garden centres for 'Levington Organic Blend Farmyard Manure'. It works a treat :smile:

Offlineukshroomer
Law Abider

Re: mushroom compost [Re: Doctor]
    #11430960 - 11/11/09 02:34 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks doctor however that wont be possible i live in the UK and we dont have that product here i dont think. I have also spoken to a mushroom composting facility that provides compost. The have phase two, unspawned and prepasteuized compost. im thinking i might try this out instead. the compost is for mainly agaricus bisporus mushrooms but i asked if it would work for oysters (i cant really tell them that i intend to grow cubensis) and they said it would work. do you guys think phase two compost would work for psilocybe cubensis?

thanks

--------------------

Offlinegaladar

Loc: in a monotub!
    #11431136 - 11/11/09 03:25 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

yea but is it really that hard to obtain easier to find bulk substrates? for much cheaper too.

Offlinehardcorekid83
hardcorekid
Male User Gallery

Loc: pittsburgh pa
    #11431171 - 11/11/09 03:51 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ukshroomer said:
Thanks doctor however that wont be possible i live in the UK and we dont have that product here i dont think. I have also spoken to a mushroom composting facility that provides compost. The have phase two, unspawned and prepasteuized compost. im thinking i might try this out instead. the compost is for mainly agaricus bisporus mushrooms but i asked if it would work for oysters (i cant really tell them that i intend to grow cubensis) and they said it would work. do you guys think phase two compost would work for psilocybe cubensis?

thanks

dude, all you can do is try it if they say it is not spent. do not know if you have like a home depot or lowes over there but they should carry bagged pasteurized manure.

Invisiblebadman
Male User Gallery

Re: mushroom compost [Re: hardcorekid83]
    #11431226 - 11/11/09 04:35 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Try to find a stable in or very close to the city then you can get loads of horse shit for free, the top bulk sub IMO. Also there must be a B&Q close right for verm, if there is you are sorted. That mushroom compost is not worth the hassle. look for a stable.

OfflineDoctor
Strangled
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11431380 - 11/11/09 05:48 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

'Levington Organic Blend Farmyard Manure' is a UK product. However, it sounds like you might have found something as good.

Offlinecreepyviking
buttfugler

Loc: nebulon 1
    #11770837 - 01/05/10 03:49 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

interesting as it sounds... mushroom compost might just be as good. although already used IF IT IS... it still has nutrients none the less. for example. the 50%peat moss %50 verm. neither carry nurtients. other than water retention. yet it works. so why does somethin that previously used for mushrooms be bad? it has more nutrients than the 50/50+ mix. and we're not talking about growing trees that require LOTS of nutrients were talking about mushrooms.

in my opinion and experience I'll put this...

I bought a $2 bag of rocky mountain mushroom compost.
I dont know if its already been used, but I dont care haha.
so far its doing 10x better than the 50/50+ mix.

so as far as the subject of mushroom compost. I like it. theres been alot of bad talk about it. yet the major thing is it still has nutrients none the less. it did give me larger yields. inexpensive. organic, and didnt really have to worry about ph balance. just threw in a little steer manure in it for taste "mushrooms". and they shoot off from there.

people are scared of things they dont understand or follow the crowd in what they say.
but I like the store bought compost, its reliable on my end. just replenish the compost a little and your set.
and it was enough to case 3 containers, and cost me $5 altogether. you cant do any better than that... will post pictures soon.

InvisibleCitizen13
Jack's wasted life.

Re: mushroom compost [Re: creepyviking]
    #11770922 - 01/05/10 04:02 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

creepyviking said:
the 50%peat moss %50 verm. neither carry nurtients. other than water retention.

people are scared of things they dont understand or follow the crowd in what they say.
but I like the store bought compost, its reliable on my end. just replenish the compost a little and your set.
and it was enough to case 3 containers, and cost me $5 altogether. you cant do any better than that... will post pictures soon.

verm in fact does have nutrients in it, although not very much. and 50/50 peat and verm are not a substrate material, they are a casing material.

I can tell by your mixed up terminology that you are confused. the OP was wanting to know if mushroom compost made a good substrate material, not a casing material.

casings are supposed to be relativley non nutritious and provide a micro climate for your substrate to establish a nice pin set in. cubes don't even really need to be cased but if you did case then a peat/verm casing would be ideal due to the very low nutritious value of it.

on that note mushroom compost might actually make a good casing material due to it's rather low nutritious state.

chances are if you are using it as a substrate material however, all you are doing is providing water retention and your fruits are using your spawn for nutrition.

--------------------

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11770968 - 01/05/10 04:08 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Y'know... it really would not surprise me if you could do this.
Ps. cubensis grows well on a number of substrates, but those button mushrooms are finicky.
I'm willing to bet $2 to find out whether cubes can grow on the leftovers of other species.
But not today. Springtime.

--------------------

InvisibleCitizen13
Jack's wasted life.

Re: mushroom compost [Re: Doc_T]
    #11770985 - 01/05/10 04:11 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

i'm sure you could get a decent grow but like i said im sure most of your nutrients would be coming from your spawn.

it's not really a cost saving measure when you really break it down, you might save a couple dollars at the most when you compare to things like coir or straw. both of which are really cheap. especially when bought in bulk.

besides the fun of doing unconventional things for the sake of being unconventional, i don't see the point.

--------------------

Edited by Citizen13 (01/05/10 04:13 PM)

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11771044 - 01/05/10 04:19 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, I was just thinking in terms of a coir replacement. It's cheap and convenient, but people are always claiming they can't find it.
I don't expect it to be the killer sub we've all been looking for. But it might be. Like I said, worth the price to find out.

Edit- and if it is pre-pasteurized right of the bag... that's worth $2 right there.

--------------------

Edited by Doc_T (01/05/10 04:48 PM)

Offlinecreepyviking
buttfugler

Loc: nebulon 1
Re: mushroom compost [Re: Doc_T]
    #11776135 - 01/06/10 11:58 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

exactly... the nurseries and garden stores dont carry coco coir where I'm at, and wheat straw, I can only get in bales, or a 1 ton bale, obviously I dont need that much haha. but in terms of nutrients it wouldnt hurt to have residual nutrients in the casing, to supplement growth.
as far as the growth on the mushroom compost, its takin off rapidly, colonization on the surface in comparison to the 50/50+ casing is no contest. and this was only an experiment.
right now I dont suggest you rely soley on it, because this is just on my end on growth with successful spent mushroom compost as a bulk casing. obviously I thought like everyone else that it wouldnt work.
but it does have the following: wheat straw, gypsum, lime, steer manure, poultry manure, peat moss.
for $5 in casing material for 3 beds, with enough left over for 6 more beds, not a bad investment. sure I dont have the coveted coir or straw, but I've had succes so far.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom