Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLogicaL Chaos
UFOs are Real
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
Unidentified: Is it a Psi. Pelliculosa?
    #11416142 - 11/09/09 03:33 AM (8 years, 13 days ago)

General Location of Habitat: Western Oregon, Central Willamette Valley, Park inside suburban area. (Photo #1)

Habitat: A mixed forest of angiosperm trees (mostly maple) and conifer trees. Wide spacing between trees. Lots of maple leaf litter on ground.
Moss was underneath leaves. Moist ground. Growing in cluster with other species. (Photo #1, #2, & #3)

Cap: Bell-shaped cap. Dark brown on top, fading to grayish white around bottom. smooth. Has vertical "rays" or
dark-colored lines running from the apex of the cap to the bottom edge rim. Unique feature: One side has a light
brown spot on the gills and 1 side of cap. (Photo #4)

Gills: Attached to stem (adnate). Crowded to close spacing. Off-white to grayish in color.
Has distinct long-rib-to-short-rib alternating pattern. (Photo #5)

Stem: Hollow. Smooth. Light brown to tan. Darker color near base. Also, strange bruising when stem is
broken off (see "Bruising").

Bruising: Very subtle "darker color" bruising on stem only, not on cap. Color not quite blue, more like dark.
HOWEVER, when stem is broken, only around the rim of hollow stem of break does true dark-blue bruising occur.

Spore print color: Attempted but no success. Caps have been on paper, under jar, for 7 hours now with no spores dropped.
Is it likely the spores have already been released and the gills are empty? Any tips to improve success?

Additional Details: Found tiny red flee-like insects living inside the gills.

My Guess: Psilocybe pelliculosa (mostly wishful thinking and lack of knowledge about wild "little brown mushrooms")

Photo #1: The Habitat.

Photo #2: The Group. Trying to ID the brownish shroom on the Right.
(But goal is to ID a positive P. Pelliculosa. So, if there is a mushroom in the photo
that looks like a "Conifer Psilocybe", feel free to comment if there is.)

Photo #3: Another group shot of habitat. Trying to ID shroom on Right.

Photo #4: Close-up of cap.

Photo #5: Close-up of gills. 

For any member who provides an ID, I thank you for your expertise and your time. If you need clarification on any details, feel
free to ask me and I will pull out the specimens from the freezer and thaw them out for you.

Hunt on!
~ LogicaL Chaos ~

--------------------
Wanna See some amazing military aircraft? Check out the nearest, strange-looking military base near you.
:sunny: Oregon Eclipse Festival :: Aug 19th to 21st :: I got to visit Paradise. :sunny:
:sanpedro::bongload:  Mescajuana - Mescaline with Marijuana - This is Pure Psychedelic Synergy:bongload::sanpedro:
:rainbowdrink: Very Effective LSA Extraction Method (WARNING: NOT FOR NOOBIES!) :rainbowdrink:
:shpongle:Shpongle said: Like the Universe sitting on your face, Plugged into Gaia's Brain, in a Wyrd dripping Cavernous Labyrinth.
Following the String of Semi-Madness, Brain Gymnastics, Sonic Elastics, Frying the Mind Circuits.:shpongle:
:coaster:
My Simple Mycelium (Ps. cubenis) Cultivation & Extraction Project

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
Re: Unidentified: Is it a Psi. Pelliculosa? [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #11416309 - 11/09/09 04:03 AM (8 years, 12 days ago)

They are all the same Mycena species.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist

Trusted Identifier
    #11416312 - 11/09/09 04:04 AM (8 years, 12 days ago)

It's a Mycena species, the print will be white!
inski.

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist

Trusted Identifier
Re: Unidentified: Is it a Psi. Pelliculosa? [Re: German Kahuna]
    #11416319 - 11/09/09 04:06 AM (8 years, 12 days ago)

Just goes to show how slow my one finger typing skills are, I even used the quick reply function:cool:
You bet me to it anyway GK:grin:
inski.

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
    #11416328 - 11/09/09 04:09 AM (8 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

LogicaL Chaos said:
Spore print color: Attempted but no success. Caps have been on paper, under jar, for 7 hours now with no spores dropped.
Is it likely the spores have already been released and the gills are empty? Any tips to improve success?

Yes, use tin foil instead of paper. You won't see a white spore print on (white) paper.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

OfflineLogicaL Chaos
UFOs are Real
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Unidentified: Is it a Psi. Pelliculosa? [Re: German Kahuna]
    #11421327 - 11/09/09 09:14 PM (8 years, 12 days ago)

Wow, you guys are good!

The spores finally dropped, and like all you said (German Kahuna & inski), the spore print would be white. You guys are really good! It was on white paper thou (I was hoping it to be purple-black) and I can just *barely* see the white radial lines on it, but its white spores all right.

I'm surprised they're all the same species. I was expecting the left and middle ones to be 2 different species. Is it their age that gives them such diverse colors on the caps?

Couple question for the experts about P. Pelliculosa: Do these Mycena species typically grow near P. Pelliculosa or do they grow in totally different locations? From the pictures, is this the right habitat for P. Pelliculosa or am I not even close? 

Thanks again for the fast ID'ing. Impressive you knew the species even without a spore print. And I guess patience really is important not only for cultivation, but spore printing as well.

I have much to learn now...
~ LogicaL Chaos ~

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #11421362 - 11/09/09 09:19 PM (8 years, 12 days ago)

a great many Mycenas like the same habitats as P. pelliculosa, so you will often find them within a few feet [or inches] of one another. you should be warned that woodland Galerinas share those habitats aswell, and are known to fruit directly from the floor debris aswell.

there are many features to easily distinguish P. pelliculosa from mycenas and others, and spore color [also gill color range] is a firs step in the proccess.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineLogicaL Chaos
UFOs are Real
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Unidentified: Is it a Psi. Pelliculosa? [Re: canid]
    #11421787 - 11/09/09 10:08 PM (8 years, 12 days ago)

Thanks for the habitat tips and the species which grow around P. Pelliculosa. And thanks for the warning about Galerinas, they are lethally poisonous right? I'll make sure I always take a spore print and check all the physical features like the gill color.

Thanks for the tips candid! I'll put them to good use.

~ LogicaL Chaos ~

OfflineMordin
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Unidentified: Is it a Psi. Pelliculosa? [Re: canid]
    #13390801 - 10/26/10 05:12 PM (7 years, 26 days ago)

I found these where my dad had a burn pile and sawdust. I did a spore print and it turned out purpleish but it was hard to tell if it was purple-gray or purple-brown.
Just a double check would be nice ^_^

Edited by Mordin (10/27/10 06:26 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification