Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineTedwilto
Veni, vidi, vici
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Sunny Afternoon in
Electric drums vs. Real drums
    #11414184 - 11/08/09 08:56 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Ive always toyed with the idea of learning to play the drums. Im not about to go rush out and buy drums or anything but im just wondering whats the better choice, electonic drums or real drums? :strokebeard:

--------------------

Song of the week, click Huey:

Song of the week list in journal.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetempingasashaman
\\\\\\\\////////\\\\\\\\
 User Gallery

Loc: under the rainbow
Re: Electric drums vs. Real drums [Re: Tedwilto]
    #11414215 - 11/08/09 09:00 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Cheap electric drums play like crap and don't feel anything like a real set does. Usually the sounds are pretty bad too. Unless you have $1000 to spend on a decent electric set, I would say acoustic.

--------------------
the greatest use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it

InvisibleKiefish
JuniperJones
 User Gallery

#11414216 - 11/08/09 09:00 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

May I be so bold as to say no one will be able to help you with this choice.

Completely different. Both will teach you the basics of sticking etc.

Big difference is the rebound from cheap acoustic drums is essentially the same as an expensive set, so the feel of it is essentially the same even if the sound isn't. ie, you'll learn the same.

However, the pads that come with a cheap electric kit aren't the same as expensive electric pads.

Get yourself a bass drum, hihat, snare, and ride/crash.
Then get yourself a drum machine.

best of both for (kinda) cheap.

--------------------

Invisiblegzuf
٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Electric drums vs. Real drums [Re: Kiefish]
    #11414223 - 11/08/09 09:01 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Synths.

Ugh.

--------------------
+1 Post ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶

InvisibleSimplepowa
In Pursuit of Knowledge

#11414231 - 11/08/09 09:01 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

real always. But if your concerned for the noise, go for a electronic. Playing drums always fun, but accoustic gives better sensation and the energy of the bass drum going into your chest is awesome

--------------------
Carl Sagan - "Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people."

---

Robert Pirsig - "When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."

---

Brian Cox - "[One] problem with today’s world is that everyone believes they have the right to express their opinion AND have others listen to it. The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense."

InvisibleKiefish
JuniperJones
 User Gallery

#11414239 - 11/08/09 09:02 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Also, building a kit piece-by-piece is the way to go (even with electric: buying a brain, triggers, then pads). You learn about every drum/cymbal/piece of hardware in-depth as opposed to getting a mess of instruments that need to be simultaneously manipulated by all of your limbs at the same time, hahaha.

Think of a drum kit as many instruments working together as opposed to one instrument and you'll already have a great head-start.

--------------------

InvisibleKiefish
JuniperJones
 User Gallery

#11414269 - 11/08/09 09:06 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

To be bold again, don't listen to the people who say UUUGGGHHH ELECTRIC at all, they are completely ignorant to musical diversity. Sorry, gotta speak my mind on this one.

It's like putting down electric guitar.
Two completely different instruments, they just happened to be set up the same way. What do you want to create?
Concerned about volume but still wanna practice?

Practicing the same thing without the noise. And you can make one for low cost.

--------------------

OfflineTedwilto
Veni, vidi, vici
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11414372 - 11/08/09 09:18 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

thanks for all the advice man. really helpful.

I have no money atm for either and am way too busy to even attempt to learn drums, but i think this summer once i scrape up some dough im going to invest in some drums. ive always been fascinated with drums.

--------------------

OfflineSubconscious
Stranger
Male

#11414406 - 11/08/09 09:21 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Acoustic set hands down. They sound a million times better in every way imaginable... listening to all of the subtle tonal colors in your cymbals and drums is amazing. Not to mention the way a real kit plays is irreplaceable, the rebound of the heads and actually being able to see your cymbals move.

I've played 3000 dollar electric kits that sound, feel, and look like toys. Every time you hit the drums you get a lifeless, sterile, plastic sound.

Quote:

Also, building a kit piece-by-piece is the way to go

Not necessarily, I'd recommend buying a standard 5 piece set especially for a beginner... The tom's are essentially the same instrument in differant sizes/pitches... and it's best for them all to have a consistent tone. I agree that cymbals should be added piece by piece, but as for the actual drums- buying a kit is the way to go I'd say.

OfflineTedwilto
Veni, vidi, vici
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Electric drums vs. Real drums [Re: Subconscious]
    #11414423 - 11/08/09 09:23 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I would probably go the way of buying a kit being a beginner and as i got better buy indivdual drums. who knows though :shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleKiefish
JuniperJones
 User Gallery

Re: Electric drums vs. Real drums [Re: Subconscious]
    #11414443 - 11/08/09 09:25 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Subconscious said:
Acoustic set hands down. They sound a million times better in every way imaginable... listening to all of the subtle tonal colors in your cymbals and drums is amazing. Not to mention the way a real kit plays is irreplaceable, the rebound of the heads and actually being able to see your cymbals move.

I've played 3000 dollar electric kits that sound, feel, and look like toys. Every time you hit the drums you get a lifeless, sterile, plastic sound.

Quote:

Also, building a kit piece-by-piece is the way to go

Not necessarily, I'd recommend buying a standard 5 piece set especially for a beginner... The tom's are essentially the same instrument in differant sizes/pitches... and it's best for them all to have a consistent tone. I agree that cymbals should be added piece by piece, but as for the actual drums- buying a kit is the way to go I'd say.

I see where you're coming from as far as simplicity is concerned. Just feel like having a better understanding of the pitches of kicks and snares is important before you start adding a range of similar notes to your kit. To avoid the drum n00b pitfall of "mah snare is crack, mah bass is thump, my toms is deem, doom, and dome."

Is it fun? Not for everyone.
Will you have a reeeaaallly good grasp on tuning and tasteful playing? Probably.

I'm just trying to stress as much as possible that a drum kit is not just an instrument, but a collection of incredibly different ones. Sorry if it came across elitist or intense.

--------------------

Edited by Kiefish (11/08/09 09:26 PM)

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#11415492 - 11/08/09 11:37 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Just get a snare drum (you can often get decent ones at pawn shops or used at a music shop) and a pair of 5A's and play that for a few months.  If you're serious, get a rudiment book or look some up online and drill those and buzz, single, double stroke rolls until you can do it fairly confidently.

Then get a kick and a hi-hat and start bustin out grooves.  Your rudimental knowledge(if you've gathered it) will go a Loooong way here.  Pick up a nice crash ride when you see a chance and you're well on your way.

I would not recommend getting any sort of electric kit right now.  I have one and it's invaluable to me now but I played an acoustic kit for 13 years before I got mine. Plus I'm using it for unusual recording techniques and musical projects and probably would not even try to use it to play "rock", "jazz" standard musical forms.  Though I do incorporate elements of those forms into what I use the E-drums for.

Also, regarding electronic kits, the best result you're going to get is not from the most expensive $5,000 V-drum kit, but from a reasonably good kit like a TD-6 used thoughtfully with effects and, at times, software VST's.  A TD-6 triggering something like Addictive Drums will sound 50x better than a TD-20 ever could.  That's because even the most advanced Roland kits still trigger one sample per pad/zone.  It doesn't matter how well the sample is modeled/EQ'd, if it's the same samples being triggered over and over it's going to sound...not good.

InvisibleKiefish
JuniperJones
 User Gallery

Re: Electric drums vs. Real drums [Re: Viveka]
    #11415507 - 11/08/09 11:40 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Viveka said:
Just get a snare drum (you can often get decent ones at pawn shops or used at a music shop) and a pair of 5A's and play that for a few months.  If you're serious, get a rudiment book or look some up online and drill those and buzz, single, double stroke rolls until you can do it fairly confidently.

Then get a kick and a hi-hat and start bustin out grooves.  Your rudimental knowledge(if you've gathered it) will go a Loooong way here.  Pick up a nice crash ride when you see a chance and you're well on your way.

I would not recommend getting any sort of electric kit right now.  I have one and it's invaluable to me now but I played an acoustic kit for 13 years before I got mine.

Also, regarding electronic kits, the best result you're going to get is not from the most expenisve $5,000 V-drum kit, but from a reasonably good kit like a TD-6 used thoughtfully with effects and, at times, software VST's.  A TD-6 triggering something like Addictive Drums will sound 50x better than a TD-20 ever could.  That's because even the most advanced Roland kits still trigger one sample per pad/zone.  It doesn't matter how well the sample is modeled/EQ'd, if it's the same samples being triggered over and over it's going to sound...not good.

I love everything about this post.

Beyond truth, listen to this man/woman.

--------------------

OfflineDimensionX
King of Birds
Male

Loc: Australia Flag
    #11415525 - 11/08/09 11:42 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Electric drums have the advantage that they are programmable so they can play a wide variety of sounds. You can get really creative. Plus they have a volume control or you can wear headphones so you can practice whenever you want.

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ohio Flag
    #11415530 - 11/08/09 11:43 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Kiefish said:
To be bold again, don't listen to the people who say UUUGGGHHH ELECTRIC at all, they are completely ignorant to musical diversity. Sorry, gotta speak my mind on this one.

Except the point of electric drums is to mimic the sound of acoustic drums. Electric guitars and acoustic guitars create different sounds and are used differently.

I'd say go with acoustic drums UNLESS you're worried about noise. I'm a really really shitty drummer and I've only ever owned and played on one set so I don't have much authority here, but I'd say get a regular set. The only reason I'd get an electric set was if I really had money to throw around. Then I could get something with similar play but I could bang on the fucking things whenever because it would just be going through my headphones.

--------------------
!

OfflineTedwilto
Veni, vidi, vici
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Electric drums vs. Real drums [Re: jewunit]
    #11415557 - 11/08/09 11:47 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah thats what i like in the electronic drums is the whole headphones thing. I just wanted to see what everyone thinks between the two.

--------------------

InvisibleKiefish
JuniperJones
 User Gallery

#11415575 - 11/08/09 11:50 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

"Except the point of electric drums is to mimic the sound of acoustic drums."

I have never once tried to emulate the sound of acoustic drums with electric drums. Maybe once or twice for fun or as a project.

I really don't like arguing nor am I trying to, I'm just saying... electric drums have been used WITH acoustic drums before.

They can be friends.  :inlove3:

--------------------

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery

#11415588 - 11/08/09 11:52 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I haven't heard many, if any, people use an electric set for anything other than replacing a regular set in a band.

If I had an electric set I'd use it to do all sorts of weird shit. Run it through an assload of pedals and such. However I'm not good and it would get me nowhere.

In fact I've never even seen a band use an electric set. The closest anyone that I listen to comes is using a sample pad amongst a set. And it wouldn't be you that emulates the sound of acoustic drums, it would be whoever makes the electric set.

I'm willing to bet you play it the same as you would play an acoustic set. If not I'd be interesting in hearing some of your shit.

--------------------
!

InvisibleSleepyF0x
I bleed nicotine...
Male

#11415603 - 11/08/09 11:55 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

get an acoustic set for sure. if you're concerned about volume level you can get dampeners that lessen the sound.

nothing beats the sound of a real snare. SNAP.

--------------------
Everybody's a ninja...

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery

#11415612 - 11/08/09 11:56 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

An added bonus is finding a cheap acoustic set through Craigslist is much more likely than finding an affordable electric one.

--------------------
!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies