Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleEternalCowabunga
Being of Great Significance
Male User Gallery

Loc: Time and Space
Don't look back
    #11413325 - 11/08/09 08:55 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

In the Bible there is a story in Genesis of a man named Lot.

"The angels decide to forewarn Lot of the dreadful catastrophe about to happen to his city. Lot, his wife, sons-in-law, and daughters are warned to leave. The sons-in-law do not take the warning seriously; also, Lot lingers. The angels take Lot, his wife, and his daughters by hand and draw them forcibly out of their house, saying, "Save yourselves with all haste. Look not behind you. Get as fast as you are able to the mountain, unless you be involved in the calamity of the city." Lot entreats the angels, who consent that he might retire to Zoar, which was one of the five doomed cities. His wife, looking back on Sodom, is turned into a pillar of salt."

This story's message is that when we are getting ourselves out of a shitheap that we put ourselves into, we should remove all attachments to the past until the present is radically transformed. Lot's wife's attachment to the city of Soddom cost her her life.

Why was his wife turned into a pillar of salt? I'm not exactly sure why it was salt. I'm sure there are interpretations out there that make sense of this. But one thing that I do know is that she became a pillar - like a statue or stone - meaning that she became unmovable.

If we are attached to the past, we cannot move forward. I know this first hand because I have experienced some kind of emotional growth in the past and then when I saw my friend who was still the same person, I thought "he hasn't changed at all and I'm a completely different person. I must be special" and all my gains completely slipped out from underneath me.

When we are look back in the past, and think we are special for getting to where we are now, this will cause a roadblock in our growth. It is only until a long time after growing and not looking back and comparing that we can finally look back and be humble about it rather than feel special.

Feeling special in general will stop you from almost any kind of "spiritual growth". This is a warning really but I doubt this knowledge will stop anyone from making the same mistake; I think we have to experience it for ourselves to know the truth of it.

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedeff
lovelightbliss
 User Gallery

Loc: all this Flag
Re: Don't look back [Re: EternalCowabunga]
    #11413351 - 11/08/09 08:58 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

nice post

what's a neat thought is that we are theoretically capable of a complete shift in being/lifestyle at any point... should we wish to make one (and given enough oomph and finesse)

if there's something you've wanted to change about yourself, there's really nothing stopping you - and now is as good a time as any to make the transition

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology