Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemyc_check1212
Through Brass
Male User Gallery

Loc: Rio Lobo
atl#7 stone progress
    #11346007 - 10/29/09 03:22 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

After doing my homework, I started on my sclerotia project. My substrate of choice is "winter rye" in half pint jars. They are larger than RGS,  I do not think there is much of a difference other than the size. Even if there was the mycelium do not seem to mind. Here is how it is going so far...

I started at the begging of the month. At  the very start I knew this was not going to go smooth or easy, Despite all my research. My small PC could only fit six jars, So I figure I will do three jars of whole seed and three jars of ground down seeds. My reasoning is that the mycelium would overrun the finer seeds like Germany over France in World Wars one and two!

Well, I load my seeds into the blender for a quick grind and hit the switch and I get blasted with a plume of seed and plastic! What happened is that stupid me did not check to see if the cap for the feed through hole was properly secured. D'oh! Lesson learned, Back to plan A; six jars of whole seed.

After filling the jars and topping with a layer of vermiculite it was right to the PC for an hour. Then to the shelf while I await my ATL#7 spores from sporeworks

sporeworks is the bees knees! support the sponsors!

A few short days later, After checking said jars for contamination, my spores arrive and i immediately begin to knock 'em up like a Palin daughter.  Alas i did it half assed and paid the price. With no glove box or Laminar hood two jars succumb to the green monstah'.  I knew i was in for a treat when there were condensation droplets forming on the insides of my jar, a tip-off that something was amiss. Worse yet, Stupid me did not realize that the closet was on the cold side and thus held up growth by a few days. No big.

After all that fuck ups, Four weeks and down two jars here's how my babies look.

More to come. Go me! Do not fuck this up.

--------------------
Lord_Senate: Pedophiles, rapists and everything in between.

pastywhyte said: I'm not going to rush, I believe crow is best served cold.

AhabMcBathsalts said: This is why democracy doesn't work. Because idiots like this get a fucking vote.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCyanesense
AMU's Fish Killa
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW Flag
Re: atl#7 stone progress [Re: myc_check1212]
    #11346032 - 10/29/09 03:27 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Exciting!
cant wait to see moar pics:thumbup:

--------------------
:eatingout:

Everything I say is totally false - and all my pictures were stolen from SWIM.:bananabang:

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not Too Sure Flag
Re: atl#7 stone progress [Re: Cyanesense]
    #11346051 - 10/29/09 03:30 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

looks good
but why the dry verm(i know what its used for)but why with grains
and what kind of lids are you using?

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:
not sure what GE and FAE are but i should probably get some.

Citric said:
Your signature is wrong on colonization temps!

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

ROOM TEMP 70-75 IS BEST FOR COLONIZATION
Thank you mycochef

Invisiblemyceleus_rex
seeker
Male User Gallery

Loc: alized
Re: atl#7 stone progress [Re: Cyanesense]
    #11346070 - 10/29/09 03:32 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

First off, congrats :cheers:

Looks like a great start. I'm working wth ATL 7 now, too. You MUST check the link in my thread out. 

No need to grind that seed, an yes, winter rye should work great, and I bet it's cheap. I haven't sourced it locally yet.

--------------------
Cervantes' sclerotia thread    Citric's self-healing lid tek  Agar's Grain LC  Breaking Up Spawn Jars

World's Ugliest Cat?

If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?

Invisiblemyceleus_rex
seeker
Male User Gallery

Re: atl#7 stone progress [Re: myceleus_rex]
    #11346123 - 10/29/09 03:39 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I confess, I breezed through your post. Your experiment may give some interesting results. Who knows? But yeah, skip the verm, but I don't think it wiill hurt anything. As for inoculation, check out the other link in my sig [I said "thread" in my last post by mistake]. I've used it without a glovebox consistently with no problems, but I do wear a mask in a small, sprayed down room and flame sterilize and wipe the inoc. points with alcohol.

--------------------
Cervantes' sclerotia thread    Citric's self-healing lid tek  Agar's Grain LC  Breaking Up Spawn Jars

World's Ugliest Cat?

Invisiblemyc_check1212
Through Brass
Male User Gallery

#11352197 - 10/30/09 02:05 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

the vermiculite is an attempt at a barrier. gas passes through, hopefully contam is kept out. as for the lid its just the regular lid with holes punched through. still learning, still trying

--------------------

AhabMcBathsalts said: This is why democracy doesn't work. Because idiots like this get a fucking vote.

Invisiblemyceleus_rex
seeker
Male User Gallery

#11352396 - 10/30/09 02:42 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Like I said, your approach is unconventional, but it looks to me like it WILL work. Since you have a PC, I think you should read the posts in my sig, switch to grain, and make some proper lids, then ditch the verm. The grain is much cheaper than flour and you can make quart jars [four times the size], and, of course, make proper lids. Cervantes and Workman are the sclerotia masters.

Also, read up on liquid culture [LC] and grain LC [GLC], as those spores are expensive.

"God Bless America"

--------------------

World's Ugliest Cat?

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
    #11352452 - 10/30/09 02:54 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

:strokebeard:

:scaryshroom::thumbup:

:plur:

13:mushroom2:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

Invisiblemyc_check1212
Through Brass
Male User Gallery

Re: atl#7 stone progress [Re: 13shrooms]
    #11411265 - 11/08/09 01:28 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

update

its all over. as of 2o minuets ago i just had to dump my last jar. after foolishly shaking the jar 3 came down with the mean green, shortly there after so did my fourth and final jar. bummer. now its time to hit the bricks and come back again. def need to look into my sterile practices
thanks for the feedback.

--------------------

Invisibledaytripper05
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In my garden
    #11411291 - 11/08/09 01:32 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Get some tyvek and make your own filter disks, and double layer the tyvek it if you make your own. You can shake the piss out of them and you won't allow any contams inside. Loose the vermiculite like others have said. Try again after making some necessary changes and I bet you will have some stones.

Invisiblemyceleus_rex
seeker
Male User Gallery

Re: atl#7 stone progress [Re: daytripper05]
    #11411853 - 11/08/09 03:17 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

That sucks.
My condolences. We've given you some good advice for your next try. Do look into grain LC. you can reliably make 1ml of spore solution into many syringes. It's just good CYA, esp. with expensive spores. Also, when dumping bad jars in the trash. PC them first. Spore contamination of your environment is no joke, both for your future grows and your health. If you've already dumped in the trash, get it out quickly and carefully ASAP.

--------------------

World's Ugliest Cat?

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #11411914 - 11/08/09 03:27 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

yup I just did a grain LC with Atl#7s and it worked great. :stoned:
you can see in my growlog linked in my sig.

synthetic filter discs have had a 100% success rate in my very moldy house as where tyvek/polyfill or any combination had about a 10% success rate in the same spot.

you'll get it next time. :super:

--------------------
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not Too Sure Flag
    #11411921 - 11/08/09 03:28 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

myc_check1212 said:
the vermiculite is an attempt at a barrier. gas passes through, hopefully contam is kept out. as for the lid its just the regular lid with holes punched through. still learning, still trying

Quote:

myc_check1212 said:
update

its all over. as of 2o minuets ago i just had to dump my last jar. after foolishly shaking the jar 3 came down with the mean green, shortly there after so did my fourth and final jar. bummer. now its time to hit the bricks and come back again. def need to look into my sterile practices
thanks for the feedback.

by reading these 2 posts you should be able to see
where your contams came from

do as the others said and use tyvek
or make new lids the lids i make are super easy
and work very well

thats a 1/8th inch hole filled with silicone
and a 1/4 inch hole covered with tyvek held on with micropore tape

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:
not sure what GE and FAE are but i should probably get some.

Citric said:
Your signature is wrong on colonization temps!

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

ROOM TEMP 70-75 IS BEST FOR COLONIZATION
Thank you mycochef

Invisiblemyceleus_rex
seeker
Male User Gallery

#11411992 - 11/08/09 03:38 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

13shrooms said:
yup I just did a grain LC with Atl#7s and it worked great. :stoned:
you can see in my growlog linked in my sig.

synthetic filter discs have had a 100% success rate in my very moldy house as where tyvek/polyfill or any combination had about a 10% success rate in the same spot.

you'll get it next time. :super:

I've got a jar going for GLC with ATL 7, too. I have about 100 ml of WBS in a pint jar. Multispore on 10/17. About four days ago it started making a few tiny stones. Now it seems to be going nuts:smile:. I may hold off for a week or so before making the GLC with it. If I do, I may have enough stones for a nice little taste.

--------------------

World's Ugliest Cat?

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #11412065 - 11/08/09 03:50 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I may hold off for a week or so before making the GLC with it. If I do, I may have enough stones for a nice little taste.

I had 1 stone in my jar when I did mine and the stone kept growing after and more stones are coming in now that the jar has recovered after the GLC.  :crazy2:

it took a few days but all 12qts are showing nice growth now.  Im updating pics wed of them all.:strokebeard:

--------------------

Invisiblebadman
Male User Gallery

#11412088 - 11/08/09 03:54 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

10% success with polyfil???

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
Re: atl#7 stone progress [Re: badman]
    #11412155 - 11/08/09 04:04 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

badman said:
10% success with polyfil???

umm  yeah, :shrug:

poly/tyvek are great for gas exchange but not filtering.

poly doesnt filter any microbes let alone mold spores that would land on my jar lids so it was compleatly useless for me.  with tyvek if one jar got mold it would spread to all the others cus its not very usefull as a filter either,  the pores are too big in the tyvek.

SFdiscs are hepa rated and have been very good to me + are reusable for ever as long as you dont inoculate through them. :thumbup:

--------------------

Invisiblebadman
Male User Gallery

#11412290 - 11/08/09 04:24 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Tyvek maybe, but cotton wool works as an effective filter so polyfil would to. polyfil works really really well. SF is the best but my jars wont allow me use em so i have to use poly, only one contam but it was the inoculum not the filter which was shit.

Invisiblemyceleus_rex
seeker
Male User Gallery

#11412349 - 11/08/09 04:35 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

13shrooms said:
poly/tyvek are great for gas exchange but not filtering.

poly doesnt filter any microbes let alone mold spores that would land on my jar lids so it was compleatly useless for me.  with tyvek if one jar got mold it would spread to all the others cus its not very usefull as a filter either,  the pores are too big in the tyvek.

This raises alot of questions for me. I've been using coverall tyvek with no problems so far, but not Tyvek brand. It's a multi-ply spun polyethylene [like tyvek] rated for .3 microns made by Kimberly-Clark. I haven't used polyfil, but for this GLC I plan to sterilize water in a jar with two self-healing ports and use a syringe stuffed with polyfil and PC'd to relieve the vacuum through one port while injecting the concentrated myc slurry through the other. I've always heard that polyfil syringes are perfect for such a procedure, and usable for jar lids. What you're saying seems to go against my assumptions.

--------------------

World's Ugliest Cat?

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman

Trusted Cultivator
    #11415801 - 11/09/09 12:29 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

as long as your doing your GLC work in a glovebox/schmuvbox/flowhood you will be fine with that method.

I was just stating my reason for not being able to use poly/tyvek.  my house is super ultra moldy so I have to use the top notch filtration for everything. :stoned:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds