Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedankster
Stranger
WBS too dry?
    #11411739 - 11/08/09 04:56 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I just cased two pint jars full of WBS colonized with South American.  In my previous attempt with WBS, I over-simmered the WBS, resulting in the sub being too wet.  I heard that you could also soak the seeds for 72 hrs to get the same effect, so I tried that for my second attempt.  I knocked up via milti-spore.  It colonized quickly.  Because I was very busy, I waited two weeks after full colonization to case the WBS.  When I shook it up and rook it out of the jar, it the mycelium seemed to compact, and was it was not nearly as white as it had been before shaking the jar.  Also, I picked up a seed and noticed that it seemed pretty hard still, and when I squeezed it, the hard part in the middle popped out. 

What do you think?  Should I have simmered the WbS?  Is it normal for the WBS to not be so white after shaking?  Will my casing work?

This was my first successful colonization of grain.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSlimz
.-~*´`*·~-experience-~*´`*·~-.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Maryland
Re: WBS too dry? [Re: dankster]
    #11411773 - 11/08/09 05:02 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

soaking for 72 hours is overkill.. 24-48 is fine.

simmer is not required

you dont case WBS

WBS always looks less white after shaking

you want to spawn that WBS to a bulk sunstrate like coir/poo/whatever

--------------------
Lazy Drywall Tek (no powdery mess)

This series will blow your mind and confirm what you already know to be true.
The Pharmacratic Inquisition
Best Thread Ever ! ! !

:pm: me if you have questions about lasers

Although i may advise others in a general way regarding all types of mushroom grows, and may even post question from other forums about growing "active" mushrooms, i only grow non-"active" mushrooms and edibles.

FeelFamily resident tech guru

Offlinedankster
Stranger
Re: WBS too dry? [Re: Slimz]
    #11412145 - 11/08/09 06:03 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the info!

Quote:

Slimz said:
you dont case WBS

I havent had a successful casing yet, so I figured I should try casing this by itself, first.  Is there any problem with casing WBS without a bulk sub?

Offlineelectrics
wave rider
Male User Gallery

Loc: In front of my Computer
    #11412184 - 11/08/09 06:08 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Yes there is a big problem the mycelium has nothing to eat!! People have gotten fruits from it but..like you said the wbs is still entact It is used mainly as a fast way to colonize substrate spawn...not as a direct fruiting medium....You may get some fruits but it's much better to spawn to some coir or something nutritious for the mycelium to eat up and have energy for the fruiting process!! if you want to be able to fruit cakes you should have used BRF...e

--------------------
"Listen now I'm talking I've been here for weeks, waiting in this growing crowd staring at my feet, The world around me is Turning I'm just standing still, The time has come for changes do something or I will" Phish

OfflineDEOXYShiitakes
Grain of Time

Loc: in my head?
Re: WBS too dry? [Re: electrics]
    #11412218 - 11/08/09 06:14 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

the purpose of simmering is not to speed up the soaking process... it's so the heat will steam off all the excess (surface)water while your grains are in your colander

--------------------
"They got money for wars but they can't feed the poor."

We are all 1 Consciousness experiencing itself subjectively..

"Oh yeah, sometimes my mistakes turn out better than my intentions."

Offlinedankster
Stranger
Re: WBS too dry? [Re: DEOXYShiitakes]
    #11412551 - 11/08/09 07:11 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Fuck! I don't know how I have been on this forum for 4 months and never picked up on this fact that you normally dont straight case WBS... I had just figured I am not growing huge amounts so I would rather would PC and knock up a bunch of 1 pint jars of WBS and straight cast them than add in the extra step of spawning to a bulk sub.... Now I have to change my entire game plan... and find some poopy. 

We have a big pile of cow manure that has been breaking down for a while next to our garden.  Do you guys thing it would this work to spawn to?  It has been there for over a year and is pretty decomposed...

Quote:

DEOXYShiitakes said:
the purpose of simmering is not to speed up the soaking process... it's so the heat will steam off all the excess (surface)water while your grains are in your colander

What do you mean?  Do you simmer the grain in the strainer?  I thought you simmer it to get the propper moisture content...

Offlinecloudsaregathering
pasturbater
Male

Loc: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
    #11412629 - 11/08/09 07:21 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

no you simmer then put into strainer and the steam from it being hot will dry the outside of the wbs...

--------------------

"the root of the problem has been isolated"

Invisibledancefloordale
Research Assistant

#11412679 - 11/08/09 07:27 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

DEOXYShiitakes said:

Actually, it's so the grains take on the correct amount of moisture.
Quote:

dankster said:
Fuck! I don't know how I have been on this forum for 4 months and never picked up on this fact that you normally dont straight case WBS... I had just figured I am not growing huge amounts so I would rather would PC and knock up a bunch of 1 pint jars of WBS and straight cast them than add in the extra step of spawning to a bulk sub.... Now I have to change my entire game plan... and find some poopy. 

We have a big pile of cow manure that has been breaking down for a while next to our garden.  Do you guys thing it would this work to spawn to?  It has been there for over a year and is pretty decomposed...

Quote:

DEOXYShiitakes said:

What do you mean?  Do you simmer the grain in the strainer?  I thought you simmer it to get the propper moisture content...

The poo seems like it would work, sounds aged. Might want to dry it out first, but to be honest you're going to pasteurize it anyway so it doesn't matter.

--------------------
Everything posted by the user dancefloordale, aside from what is written in this here clause is completely and utterly fictitious, despite any information read (or seen), above (or below) that might lead you to believe otherwise.

Hydra Tek - A detailed guide, for newest to the most skilled cultivators.

HCA

Bulk growing made easy-discussion
Bulk Growing Made Easy

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Cannabis Seeds   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation