Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineprozak812
Noobie-No-More!
Male

Loc: Flag
Do all molds produce the same effect?
    #11410300 - 11/08/09 12:05 PM (8 years, 12 days ago)

So I was thinking, I had read on one of the other discussions that dumping out contaminated jars in your backyard without first pressure cooking them, could cause the mold spores to stick to your clothes, your hair, and whatever. And that the likelihood of contaminated jars is almost guaranteed because of the ambient spore count in your work or grow area.

But what about mold that occurs in your house? Like, what if I had a loaf of bread and there's a moldy piece of bread? Or a decorative gourd?  Or maybe even porkchops that have been in the refrigerator too long?  Should these types of molds be handled the same way?  Or are they less of a threat because they don't target mushroom fungus?

--------------------
I have a handful of prints for trade.  Check out my bio for details.

After a successful grow, the trip is that much more rewarding!            :laugh:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSlimz
.-~*´`*·~-experience-~*´`*·~-.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Maryland
Re: Do all molds produce the same effect? [Re: prozak812]
    #11411982 - 11/08/09 05:38 PM (8 years, 12 days ago)

they should be handled the same way.

green mold (trich) targets the SUBSTRATE not the mushroom. it grows in the same stuff that the mushroom grows in .

--------------------
Lazy Drywall Tek (no powdery mess)

This series will blow your mind and confirm what you already know to be true.
The Pharmacratic Inquisition
Best Thread Ever ! ! !

:pm: me if you have questions about lasers

Although i may advise others in a general way regarding all types of mushroom grows, and may even post question from other forums about growing "active" mushrooms, i only grow non-"active" mushrooms and edibles.

FeelFamily resident tech guru

Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Do all molds produce the same effect? [Re: prozak812]
    #11419338 - 11/09/09 04:19 PM (8 years, 11 days ago)

Quote:

prozak812 said:
But what about mold that occurs in your house? Like, what if I had a loaf of bread and there's a moldy piece of bread? Or a decorative gourd?  Or maybe even porkchops that have been in the refrigerator too long?  Should these types of molds be handled the same way?  Or are they less of a threat because they don't target mushroom fungus?

that is exactly why even though you think your kitchen is clean it is not.  way too many mold spores floating around.

but in general molds spores will germinate wherever they have the right conditions (temp/moisture/etc), if they happen to be on a substrate they can utilize they will then be able to proliferate and spread further.

Realistically mold spores are everywhere and you will never eradicate them, just be sensible and avoid spreading spores around the house.

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Do all molds produce the same effect? [Re: solumvita]
    #11420621 - 11/09/09 07:37 PM (8 years, 10 days ago)

Old meat in your refrigerator is going to have a lot more bacteria than molds, and the penicillium that is generally on bread and cheese isn't as virulent a contaminant of mushroom substrates as trichoderma.  I've seen penicillium on petri dishes and once or twice on straw, but trich is the one you have to watch out for, and the main one I'd say to either toss out or PC the jars before opening.

That said, I still go ape shit getting quickly rid of moldy cheese or bread on first sight, but there's no need to go nuts cleaning up after kitchen molds unless you're about to do agar work.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineprozak812
Noobie-No-More!
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Do all molds produce the same effect? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #11460976 - 11/15/09 05:50 PM (8 years, 4 days ago)

RR, thanks so much for the wise words and expertise.  I'll keep this stuff in mind, just had my first successful grow and couldn't have done it without the help of the peeps in the Shroomery.

--------------------
I have a handful of prints for trade.  Check out my bio for details.

After a successful grow, the trip is that much more rewarding!            :laugh:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum