Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Autoclave, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleLongStrangeTrip
Deadhead

Another LC question~!
    #11410088 - 11/08/09 11:09 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Hey buddies

So, I recently inoculated a liquid culture. I made it in a autoclave plastic jar, 1/2 pint. by made it, I mean that I added 96cc's of warm water and 4cc's of karo syrup (thanks to a tek from Roadkill, what an inspiration machine), then pc'ed.

One thing I have learned is not to leave the tape on holes during incubation. Slowed down my first attempts quite a bit. But what about for a lc? I have, for now, left micropore tape over the holes, because their is no contaminate barrier. Will that be ok?

I have learned alot in the past few weeks, changed alot of methodology, and have had fantastic results. First fruited cake gave 54 grams wet :thumbup: Thanks everybody

--------------------
Nothing I say or do is factual; every single thing I write is a work of fiction. Got no idea what I'm talking about here~

"Once in awhile, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"~  (Grateful Dead)

"o puer, qui omnia nomini debes"; "You, boy, who owe's everything to a name"~ Mark Anthony

"Nihil est incertius vulgo, nihil obscurius voluntate hominum, nihil fallacius ratione tota comitiorum."; "Nothing is more unpredictable than the mob, nothing more obscure than public opinion, nothing more deceptive than the whole political system."~ Cicero

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Another LC question~! [Re: LongStrangeTrip]
    #11410096 - 11/08/09 11:12 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

For an LC jar, most people use some sort of breather hole with a filter. Tyvek and polyfil are the most common methods by far.

I make special lids for LC, let me spam the link: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10364498#10364498

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Invisiblenoobieshroomie
Back again
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not Too Sure Flag
    #11410099 - 11/08/09 11:13 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

i would leave the tape there to act as a filter
or you could always make lids that have an injection port
and a filter on them like this

thats a 1/8th inch hole filled with silicone
and a 1/4 inch hole covered with tyvek held on by micropore tape

-noobie-

--------------------
AMU

Best Thread Ever
CapZilla said:
not sure what GE and FAE are but i should probably get some.

Citric said:
Your signature is wrong on colonization temps!

GOOD JUDGMENT COMES FROM EXPERIENCE
EXPERIENCE COMES FROM BAD JUDGMENT

ROOM TEMP 70-75 IS BEST FOR COLONIZATION
Thank you mycochef

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Another LC question~! [Re: noobieshroomie]
    #11410111 - 11/08/09 11:17 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

^^^ I make almost all my lids just like that. Only with a polyfil puff instead of the tyvek+tape.

--------------------

InvisibleLongStrangeTrip
Deadhead

Re: Another LC question~! [Re: noobieshroomie]
    #11410137 - 11/08/09 11:24 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the info

Where do you get silicone? maybe a silly question, but never really thought about doing it like that...I like it~!

To Doc:

I used polyfil successfully with 10 quart rye berry jars. Thanks to RR's video my first attempt yielded PERFECT moisture content:thumbup:

Your lid tek looks like alot of work...new goal set for the future :rolleyes:

--------------------
Nothing I say or do is factual; every single thing I write is a work of fiction. Got no idea what I'm talking about here~

"Once in awhile, you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right"~  (Grateful Dead)

"o puer, qui omnia nomini debes"; "You, boy, who owe's everything to a name"~ Mark Anthony

"Nihil est incertius vulgo, nihil obscurius voluntate hominum, nihil fallacius ratione tota comitiorum."; "Nothing is more unpredictable than the mob, nothing more obscure than public opinion, nothing more deceptive than the whole political system."~ Cicero

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

#11410172 - 11/08/09 11:32 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I don't like to use anything that is water permeable as an LC filter. polyfill, tyvec, etc, can soak up the LC solution, and a wet filter is an open door for contams. Whatman filters are perfect for this, but not cheap.

--------------------

Invisibledaytripper05
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In my garden
    #11410182 - 11/08/09 11:35 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

If you are already doing grains and LC then you should go the extra step and try this out. Compare your results to your sugar water LC's and I think you will be surprised at how much better Grain LC is over the standard LC. You can do all the methods to maximize success and learn which one works best for you. Try it out.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6817701/an/0/page/0

Invisibledaytripper05
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Another LC question~! [Re: simplemachine]
    #11410191 - 11/08/09 11:38 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Tyvek is water proof. They make tyvek suites for this very reason. It's breathable for your skin but still doesn't allow water through. That's why I use it.

InvisibleLongStrangeTrip
Deadhead

Re: Another LC question~! [Re: daytripper05]
    #11410196 - 11/08/09 11:39 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

to Daytripper05:

Fucking fantastic idea~! I have one quart jar right now that was at about 30% colonization last night; shook the hell out of it and it is recovering now. Inoculated with Malabar coast :crazy2:

May do this quite soon!

--------------------

Invisibledaytripper05
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11410211 - 11/08/09 11:43 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

You could even do a G2G tranfer with the utmost sterility. Then after your done, take your jar that had the colonized grain and put sterile water in it. Swirl it around and get all the mycelium off the edges, then suck it back up. There are a lot of ways to make a Grain LC without actually using an entire jar of grain. It really allows you to stretch mycelium a lot further.

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Another LC question~! [Re: simplemachine]
    #11410224 - 11/08/09 11:45 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

LongStrangeTrip said:
Your lid tek looks like alot of work...

It's not bad, you can make 4 or six and then be done with it for a while. They aren't especially durable, I get a few uses out of each one. Need to figure a way to mount the syringe cap more securely.

Quote:

simplemachine said:
I don't like to use anything that is water permeable as an LC filter. polyfill,  can soak up the LC solution

Yeah, don't get the polyfil wet if you use it. Either use a stir plate, or swirl carefully.

--------------------

InvisibleLongStrangeTrip
Deadhead

Re: Another LC question~! [Re: daytripper05]
    #11410245 - 11/08/09 11:50 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Already got 9 other Malabars going, just is that one is way ahead of the other. Really just looking to have success with my first monotub attempt, got some good hpoo to use as well.

great stuff! And I don't feel like I should post pictures till I have some really impressive. Pinset on some of my cakes, though, puts a giant smile on my face :grin:

To Doc:

well, not really the WORK that bothers me, just that its more advanced and ima noob. Having said that, I will be making your lids one day:thumbup:

My little LC now has lots of space between it, and where the micropore tape is. This little baby is set and done, if I do more work it will be in improving my methods next time. I am trying my hardest though to make sure it does not get wet. Learned to get rid of my stupid tub in tub incubator about a month ago.....

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Autoclave, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation