Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebeatnicknick
The Innovator
Male User Gallery

A few really simple questions (I USED THE SEARCH FEATURE!)
    #11408392 - 11/07/09 10:15 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

1) After your jars are done colonizing and you spawn them to substrate, do you drop the heat 10 degrees from 80-70 then or do you wait until you want it to fruit, and drop the temp along with adding light and more FAE?

--------------------
I don't think for myself. I think as though I'm explaining my thoughts to someone else. I'm concerned only for those listening.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleavorg
Quixotic
Folding@home Statistics
Re: A few really simple questions (I USED THE SEARCH FEATURE!) [Re: beatnicknick]
    #11408418 - 11/07/09 10:23 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

you don't have to lower the temp at all, but if you do wait until you want it to fruit.

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
Re: A few really simple questions (I USED THE SEARCH FEATURE!) [Re: beatnicknick]
    #11408431 - 11/07/09 10:27 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

beatnicknick said:
1) After your jars are done colonizing and you spawn them to substrate, do you drop the heat 10 degrees from 80-70 then or do you wait until you want it to fruit, and drop the temp along with adding light and more FAE?

Are you using an incubator for colonization? Because if you are - chuck it. Room temperature works fine for colonization and fruiting.

OfflineChaostoOrder
Lakota Peji Wicasa,
Male User Gallery

Re: A few really simple questions (I USED THE SEARCH FEATURE!) [Re: Brennus]
    #11408553 - 11/07/09 10:55 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I threw mine right into the FC , I got these lasagna aluminum trays from wally world, and they come w/ a plastic dome over the top....covered and threw into my glove box, just incubating at room temperature....my other tray I covered with tinfoil and poked holes in the top  and threw in the FC with perlite and they sat for about 8 to nine days and started pinning a few days ago....they are about an inch high now today...

--------------------
Too weird to live, to rare to die....-Hunter S. Thompson

:
[url=https://files.shroomery.org/files/10-21/47399604

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
Re: A few really simple questions (I USED THE SEARCH FEATURE!) [Re: ChaostoOrder]
    #11408918 - 11/08/09 12:48 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Here's the full info, so you can make more informed choices in the future.

Quote:

*I've been saying that for years. My petri dish studies a few years ago showed that cubensis reaches peak linear growth between 75F and 80F, then is flat until 83F, where it starts to slow down. Mycelium at 86F is growing at about 2/3 the speed of mycelium at 80F. In addition, the higher temps tend to stimulate thermophic molds and bacteria. There's LOT'S of good information in TMC, but that 86F figure is one of the errors. When I did it there were ten petri dishes colonizing at each temperature, in separate containers. I went through well over 200 petri dishes of mycelium for no other reason than to determine the temperature that stimulates fastest growth, other factors being equal. That was a far more controlled study than the one reported over 20 years ago. If someone else wants to repeat the experiment, go for it. I consider the matter closed. Paul doesn't even repeat that 86F figure, which someone else sent him. Bottom line was the tubs that had petri dishes between 75F and 81F showed no difference in growth. Below 75F, and above 81F growth slowed down, with a rapid drop in colonization speed below 70F and above 83F. At 86F, a petri dish would be 2/3 colonized, while its sister at 75F would be fully colonized. Rate of growth at 86F was exactly the same as rate of growth at 72F, with fastest growth as said, occurring between 75F and 81F. Note that these tests were for linear growth in the two-dimensional plane of a petri dish. In three-dimensional space such as in grain jars or bulk substrates, the effects of thermogenesis need to be considered, so ambient temps should be lowered slightly to compensate.

More info here.

In a nutshell you want to maintain 75-81f temperatures.  However you have to take into account both the heat produced by the mycelium and the insulating properties of the jar/container it's in.

Small jars can be 1-2f higher, quarts can be 3-5 and large bags or tubs of substrate can be 5-10.

So, I try to aim for 69-72f for both incubating and fruiting.

--------------------
Spongiform's Plastic Tek - An Alternative to Glass
Spongi's PF Block Tek & Automated Shotgun Project.

OfflineChaostoOrder
Lakota Peji Wicasa,
Male User Gallery

Re: A few really simple questions (I USED THE SEARCH FEATURE!) [Re: Spongiform]
    #11409026 - 11/08/09 01:18 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

oh yeah I keep mine as close to 75 degrees as I can get it....

--------------------
Too weird to live, to rare to die....-Hunter S. Thompson

:
[url=https://files.shroomery.org/files/10-21/47399604

Offlinebeatnicknick
The Innovator
Male User Gallery

Re: A few really simple questions (I USED THE SEARCH FEATURE!) [Re: ChaostoOrder]
    #11409713 - 11/08/09 06:38 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

SO you don't even need to drop the temp. from like 80 to 75 when you spawn your colonized grain to bulk substrate? And you don't even need to drop it once your bulk substrate is colonized and you turn your lights on etc? I've been misinformed somewhere along the way.

--------------------
I don't think for myself. I think as though I'm explaining my thoughts to someone else. I'm concerned only for those listening.

InvisibleCitizen13
Jack's wasted life.

#11409739 - 11/08/09 06:53 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

beatnicknick said:
SO you don't even need to drop the temp. from like 80 to 75 when you spawn your colonized grain to bulk substrate? And you don't even need to drop it once your bulk substrate is colonized and you turn your lights on etc? I've been misinformed somewhere along the way.

at no point when growing cubensis is a temperature drop needed.

--------------------

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: A few really simple questions (I USED THE SEARCH FEATURE!) [Re: Citizen13]
    #11409809 - 11/08/09 07:25 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Citizen13 said:
at no point when growing cubensis is a temperature drop needed.

True but,
Generally, your bulk tubs are incubating in a closed stuffy space which heats up due to the activity of the tub.
When you take it out to fruiting conditions, there will be a temperature drop.
It's not a 'cold shock' or even a deliberate lowering of temps-
but fruiting temps are or should be somewhat lower than colonizing temps for most growers most of the time.

(All this is less true for cakes- those are smaller and don't hold as much heat.)

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

#11410431 - 11/08/09 10:31 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Cubes are tropical mushrooms and don't seem to mind fruiting in high temps, IME. I used to fruit in a closet that got very warm 90-98F most of the summer). All my substrates were colonized at a LOWER temp than they were fruited and the results were consistently great.

So yeah, I'd say don't go out of your way to cool them down.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck