Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Loc: Flag
The treatment of discourse in "Sita Sings the Blues"
    #11408309 - 11/07/09 11:59 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Its a recent animation of The Ramayana; a Hindu epic Dramatized.

From the first impressions of sound and image, I was immediately drawn in to this movie. It wasn't just beautiful animation or music, but how these diverse styles came together and synced together. I love to see any animation that is so well synced, but once I was "in" this one, I was further entranced by the "modulations" of its Rāga.

The plot is drawn out by critical and enthusiastic discourse of myth, reflected in diverse and contrasting styles of animation. Somehow, these kaleidoscopic impressions all come together in an inward spiraling mood. Still a singular plot-line though; while it is easy to just chill out, there is also quite some tension and controversy to pick up upon. This controversy apparently exists just as well beyond its art:

From Wiki:

Quote:

Some conservative Hindus[8] and, according to the film-maker, left-wing academics[9] were offended by the film. In April 2009, a group called the Hindu Janajagruti Samiti started a petition demanding "a complete ban on the movie and initiation of legal action against all those who have been involved in production and marketing of this derogatory act against the entire Hindu community."[10] Nina Paley was surprised by the hostility, saying "I thought it might be a bit controversial, but I wasn’t fully aware of how art and artists are major targets of some right-wing nationalist groups in India. I always imagine an audience of smart, compassionate people I’d enjoy spending time with."[11] Aseem Chabra, who was one of the shadow puppets in the film, said "In the last two decades, the right-wing religious forces in India — Hindu and Muslim — have become very strong, vocal and sometimes violent. But I also know that there are enough sane, balanced, liberal people in India who take art for what it is."[11]

Nina Paley has said that some left-wing academics have also been critical of the film, describing their position as "any white person doing a project like this is by definition racist, and it's an example of more neocolonialism."[9]

I'm curious of your opinions upon the treatment of discourse in this film.

Edited by daytripper23 (11/08/09 01:43 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledaytripper23
?
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: The treatment of discourse in "Rita Sings the Blues" [Re: daytripper23]
    #11408348 - 11/08/09 12:07 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I got my copy from netflix, but you can actually download it legitimately by copying or downloading it as a torrent. This is the another reason it struck my fancy:

Quote:

http://www.sitasingstheblues.com/

Dear Audience,

I hereby give Sita Sings the Blues to you. Like all culture, it belongs to you already, but I am making it explicit with a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike License. Please distribute, copy, share, archive, and show Sita Sings the Blues. From the shared culture it came, and back into the shared culture it goes.

You don't need my permission to copy, share, publish, archive, show, sell, broadcast, or remix Sita Sings the Blues. Conventional wisdom urges me to demand payment for every use of the film, but then how would people without money get to see it? How widely would the film be disseminated if it were limited by permission and fees? Control offers a false sense of security. The only real security I have is trusting you, trusting culture, and trusting freedom.

That said, my colleagues and I will enforce the Share Alike License. You are not free to copy-restrict ("copyright") or attach Digital Restrictions Management (DRM) to Sita Sings the Blues or its derivative works.

Some of the songs in Sita Sings the Blues are not free, and may never be; copyright law requires you to obey their respective licenses. This is not by my choice; please see our restrictions page for more.

There is the question of how I'll get money from all this. My personal experience confirms audiences are generous and want to support artists. Surely there's a way for this to happen without centrally controlling every transaction. The old business model of coercion and extortion is failing. New models are emerging, and I'm happy to be part of that. But we're still making this up as we go along. You are free to make money with the free content of Sita Sings the Blues, and you are free to share money with me. People have been making money in Free Software for years; it's time for Free Culture to follow. I look forward to your innovations.

If you have questions, please ask each other. If you have ideas, please implement them - you don't need my permission or anyone else's (except for the copyright-restricted songs, of course).  If you see abuses, please address them, but don't get bogged down in arcane details of copyright law.  The copyright system wants you to think in terms of asking permission; I want you to think in terms of freedom. We've set up this Wiki to get things started. Feel free to improve it!

I've got to get back to my life now, and make some new art. Thanks for your support! This film wouldn't exist without you.

Love,

--Nina Paley
    28 February, 2009

However you get ahold of it, make sure you have some good speakers and a decent screen to watch it on. (You wouldn't watch fantasia on your laptop would you?)

--------------------
Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
  The frumious Bandersnatch!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology