Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblejds

Moving salvia from HPS to CFL setup
    #11385932 - 11/04/09 05:25 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hey, I was thinking about making a whole new grow space dedicated only to my salvia plants. What kind of lighting should I give them if I want to go with CFLs? Just a few bulbs above it? Or the tube ones?

Right now I have 3 plants around half a foot tall, but I plan on expanding.

My current grow space is getting crowded by cacti and I'd love to have a separated place for salvia.

Thanks!

--------------------
“No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...and if it occasionally gets a little heavier than what you had in mind, well...maybe chalk it off to forced conscious expansion: Tune in, freak out, get beaten.”

― Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblenitelife
Ethno Man
Male User Gallery

Re: Moving salvia from HPS to CFL setup [Re: jds]
    #11385979 - 11/04/09 05:34 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I went through the same conflict recently, I seperated my sallies too.
A good reccomendation from me is to get a 6500k double tube fluorescent to hang a few inches above them and then put a few 2700k compact fluorescents on the sides of the plants to promote branching- and an extra specrum always helps.
You could always just hang 3-4 6500k cfl's above the plants too- unstead of the tubes...
Good luck

Offlinedrift
Male User Gallery

Re: Moving salvia from HPS to CFL setup [Re: nitelife]
    #11386026 - 11/04/09 05:41 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

HellDragon said:
Hey, I was thinking about making a whole new grow space dedicated only to my salvia plants. What kind of lighting should I give them if I want to go with CFLs? Just a few bulbs above it? Or the tube ones?

Right now I have 3 plants around half a foot tall, but I plan on expanding.

My current grow space is getting crowded by cacti and I'd love to have a separated place for salvia.

Thanks!

Quote:

nitelife said:
I went through the same conflict recently, I seperated my sallies too.
A good reccomendation from me is to get a 6500k double tube fluorescent to hang a few inches above them and then put a few 2700k compact fluorescents on the sides of the plants to promote branching- and an extra specrum always helps.
You could always just hang 3-4 6500k cfl's above the plants too- unstead of the tubes...
Good luck

:thumbup:

Just remember, salvia doesn't really need that much light. I got the same results out of two 30$ fluoro tubes as I did with a nice MH. Whatever you do, just go with 6500k spectrum and you'll be good to go.

OfflinetheMallacht
Clandestine Hero

Re: Moving salvia from HPS to CFL setup [Re: drift]
    #11391149 - 11/05/09 02:03 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

...and remember to beat them when they're finicky... They love it...  :bitchslap:  :bitchsmack:

--------------------

InvisibleFleadh
Eh No....
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ireland Flag
Re: Moving salvia from HPS to CFL setup [Re: theMallacht]
    #11395551 - 11/06/09 01:48 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

LOL another member of the salvia wife beaters club

--------------------
Friendships have come and gone but I always regret the girls I didn't bang

I just dont really care what you think

Invisiblejds

Re: Moving salvia from HPS to CFL setup [Re: Fleadh]
    #11406617 - 11/07/09 05:50 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I have new salvia plants coming next week to join the 3 ones I already have here, I should have my CFL setup ready by then. It's going to be awesome.

Ok I don't want to make a thread for this, but here is a cutting I took from the first plant I had. It is fully rooted by now (I took it about 1 month ago), and it doesn't seem to want to grow. It hasn't changed at all since I took it.

The whole thing is maybe a bit over 1" long, it grew a lot of roots after 2 days in the water cup I had it in.

Is there anything that could be wrong with it? I've been watering it and making sure it always has everything it needs, and made sure there is no bugs.

Edited by jds (11/07/09 06:35 PM)

Invisiblenitelife
Ethno Man
Male User Gallery

#11406945 - 11/07/09 06:42 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

If everything is fine above soil, then something is wrong below soil. You could have root rot, a really undeveloped root system, or really stealthy fungus gnats.

Invisiblejds

#11406986 - 11/07/09 06:49 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

The soil is very fast draining, I planted it in cactus soil, and I barely water it at all, I give it small drinks every few days, just enough to keep it happy. Do you think it would be worth it to unpot it and check roots?

--------------------
“No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...and if it occasionally gets a little heavier than what you had in mind, well...maybe chalk it off to forced conscious expansion: Tune in, freak out, get beaten.”

Invisiblenitelife
Ethno Man
Male User Gallery

#11407014 - 11/07/09 06:52 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, it is worth un-potting it.
It could also be rootbound, and when salvia gets rootbound it stops growing too.
carefully examine the roots.

Invisiblekarode13Facebook
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
    #11407049 - 11/07/09 06:56 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I'm not experienced with growing salvia but sometimes cuttings just stall or lose vigour IME and wont grow until it wants to. Uprooting it could stall it even further, maybe give it more time.

As Ferrel Human would say,  :2cents:

--------------------

Invisiblejds

Re: Moving salvia from HPS to CFL setup [Re: karode13]
    #11407067 - 11/07/09 07:00 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I just checked the hole under the pot and the roots are already reaching the bottom, it looks like it's just growing a heavy root system. I guess I'll just wait and see. I also tried to check the soil of my plants for fungus gnats and there is nothing suspicious (at least on the surface and a bit below)

--------------------

Invisiblenitelife
Ethno Man
Male User Gallery

#11407981 - 11/07/09 09:06 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Your plant is stalled because it is rootbound then.
New pot for sally!!!
A few plants of mine are really rootbound nown there is 2 inch roots coming out of every hole in the bottom of the pot and the roots ran out of room in the pot so they are coming vertically out of the soil into the air... I need to transplant it but I don't have any soil ATM..

Invisiblejds

#11411411 - 11/08/09 01:55 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

That's weird it got rootbound so fast, but I can see roots reaching the bottom hole, so it couldn't be impossible. I'm going to find them some huge pots.

--------------------

InvisibleFleadh
Eh No....
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ireland Flag
    #11411844 - 11/08/09 03:16 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

My sally are in 30 Cm (1 foot) wide terracotta pots. I doubt Ill ever go bigger.

--------------------
Friendships have come and gone but I always regret the girls I didn't bang

I just dont really care what you think

InvisibleGetafixx
NotaRoman
Male User Gallery

Loc: 2nd Continent on the Left
Re: Moving salvia from HPS to CFL setup [Re: Fleadh]
    #11411926 - 11/08/09 03:29 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

My sallys are doing well under CFL's.
Sally like a humid environment so when you do re-pot put them in plastic pots.
Clay/terracotta pots allow side evaporation, with plastic pots evaporation will be at the soil surface and will boost RH.

--------------------
Procrastination is like masturbation, when you look at the job in hand you are actually screwing yourself.

Invisiblenitelife
Ethno Man
Male User Gallery

Re: Moving salvia from HPS to CFL setup [Re: Getafixx]
    #11412293 - 11/08/09 04:24 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Most of my sallies are in 5 gallon buckets, getting pretty rootbound now, I'm gonna have 3-4 to put in 55 gallon oil drums pretty soon...
They only need humidity when they are young and have undeveloped root systems. Humidity makes them grow faster; but they grow way stronger and get going 1.5-2 inches a week in about 20-30% humidity.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies