Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleLobsterSauceDiscord
 User Gallery

No Road Signs Lead To Better Driving, More Considertation.
    #11403216 - 11/07/09 09:09 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

A road scheme in the Dutch city of Makkinga has done away with road signs, traffic lights and payments and sidewalks. The theory is that the more we’re told what to do, the less we consider the rest of the folk on road. Spiegel reports:

European traffic planners are dreaming of streets free of rules and directives. They want drivers and pedestrians to interact in a free and humane way, as brethren — by means of friendly gestures, nods of the head and eye contact, without the harassment of prohibitions, restrictions and warning signs.

The utopia has already become a reality in Makkinga, in the Dutch province of Western Frisia. A sign by the entrance to the small town (population 1,000) reads “Verkeersbordvrij” — “free of traffic signs.” Cars bumble unhurriedly over precision-trimmed granite cobblestones. Stop signs and direction signs are nowhere to be seen. There are neither parking meters nor stopping restrictions. There aren’t even any lines painted on the streets.

“The many rules strip us of the most important thing: the ability to be considerate. We’re losing our capacity for socially responsible behavior,” says Dutch traffic guru Hans Monderman, one of the project’s co-founders. “The greater the number of prescriptions, the more people’s sense of personal responsibility dwindles.”

http://www.psfk.com/2007/09/no-signs-lead-to-better-driving-more-considertation.html

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRazzleCap
Punkass Trippin

Loc: ghetto :(
Re: No Road Signs Lead To Better Driving, More Considertation. [Re: LobsterSauce]
    #11403227 - 11/07/09 09:11 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

This is AWESOME. However, if you tried this in, say, New York City, or Tampa, many people would be killed, and many more would be flipping the bird all the way home.

I really wish we didn't have all these stupid little signs and laws though.

--------------------
"If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on."

"Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."

InvisiblecApTaInCrAp
Delightfullyexcellent
 User Gallery

Re: No Road Signs Lead To Better Driving, More Considertation. [Re: RazzleCap]
    #11403270 - 11/07/09 09:20 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Seems like a terrible idea to me *shrugs* .  What happens when you have people comming from out of town and have no idea how to work a round-a-bout or see no stop sign so figure the other direction has it.
  This may be un-related..Drivers in this part of Europe where im visiting are horrible, passing too quickly on blind corners.....  ahh i just got lazy on this topic... anyway bad idea i says

--------------------
"...Terrific, im glad we've had this time to discuss..im outro, call me if you wanna blaze one up.."

Offlinethirdeyeparable
Space Child
Male

Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: No Road Signs Lead To Better Driving, More Considertation. [Re: RazzleCap]
    #11403273 - 11/07/09 09:21 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Interesting idea, but I don't think it would work in a large city, can totally see it working in a small town, though.

--------------------
:jammingout: :jammingout:

“A good groove releases adrenaline in your body. You feel uplifted, you feel centered, you feel calm, you feel powerful. You feel that energy. That's what good drumming is all about.”  - Mickey Hart

Invisiblefloydisgod
whoa
Male User Gallery

Loc: satur9 Flag
Re: No Road Signs Lead To Better Driving, More Considertation. [Re: cApTaInCrAp]
    #11403280 - 11/07/09 09:22 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

lets try it in my town. cuz i'm down

--------------------
Fearlessly the idiot faced the crowd
Smiling

InvisibleLobsterSauceDiscord
 User Gallery

Re: No Road Signs Lead To Better Driving, More Considertation. [Re: cApTaInCrAp]
    #11403304 - 11/07/09 09:26 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I've been to Rome a few times and they might as well not have any signs. The drivers are fucking nuts altogether,weaving all over the place with no consideration for anyone or anything.

You have people going around on mopeds then with no helmets in between all the loopers and they are just as bad. Just balmy.

--------------------

Offlineshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Turtle Island
Re: No Road Signs Lead To Better Driving, More Considertation. [Re: LobsterSauce]
    #11403358 - 11/07/09 09:35 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

this is life on indian roads- even in the super congested city centers.

I think it works and is more fun.

--------------------

Invisiblenorml840
sex toy guru
Male User Gallery

Loc: lost
Re: No Road Signs Lead To Better Driving, More Considertation. [Re: shivas.wisdom]
    #11403408 - 11/07/09 09:47 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

:awesome:

Invisiblekoraks
Re: No Road Signs Lead To Better Driving, More Considertation. [Re: shivas.wisdom]
    #11403455 - 11/07/09 09:56 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

shivas.wisdom said:

It works in the sense that it helps keeping a check on overpopulation.

Invisibleblewmeanie
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: No Road Signs Lead To Better Driving, More Considertation. [Re: koraks]
    #11403464 - 11/07/09 09:57 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

koraks said:
Quote:

shivas.wisdom said:

Not really. People grow up with it, so their used to driving aggressively.

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

OfflineRipVanWinkle
The Benzodiazethang
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Near Memphrica, TN Flag
    #11403465 - 11/07/09 09:57 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

This is a fucking stupid idea.  I wonder how many people are going to get killed before they realize they fucked up and put all the signs back.  Sheesh... :nonono:

--------------------
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.

Offlineshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: No Road Signs Lead To Better Driving, More Considertation. [Re: RipVanWinkle]
    #11403487 - 11/07/09 10:02 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

From what I saw in india, drivers there actually pay attention to their surrounding. No one is ever multi-tasking with a cellphone, some food, a gps, having a coversation, etc.
Growing up in that wild environment they are used to paying attention to their surroundings, and all other drivers do the some- they are constantly honking their horns as a signal system.

On the other hand, just removing all the signals will cause chaos in the US because not many people could adjust. But I think it is a better system for the reasons stated in the above article.

--------------------

InvisibleKnifey Mcstab
Sir Prancelot Brainfire
Male

Loc: PNW
    #11403512 - 11/07/09 10:05 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

This idea is just dumb, I count on stop signs and other signs to prepare for the road conditions.

And driving isn't about being "fun", it's about being safe and efficient.

--------------------

Invisiblekoraks
Re: No Road Signs Lead To Better Driving, More Considertation. [Re: blewmeanie]
    #11403513 - 11/07/09 10:05 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

blewmeanie said:
Quote:

koraks said:
Quote:

shivas.wisdom said:

Not really. People grow up with it, so their used to driving aggressively.

Well, I must admit that traffic in the US appears to be almost as fatal as it is in India, which surprises me somewhat. I had always thought that the US should have been somewhere in the same league as Europe regarding traffic safety. Apparently, it's not.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

OfflineSyle
Kenai Sigh
 User Gallery

Loc: WA
Re: No Road Signs Lead To Better Driving, More Considertation. [Re: thirdeyeparable]
    #11403535 - 11/07/09 10:08 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

thirdeyeparable said:
Interesting idea, but I don't think it would work in a large city, can totally see it working in a small town, though.

this.

--------------------
https://kenaisigh.bandcamp.com/ <- Just completed the 2021 RPM challenge for February - An EP in one month (5 songs or 20 minutes). Check it out!

Offlinemikeisapro
Pro

Re: No Road Signs Lead To Better Driving, More Considertation. [Re: Knifey Mcstab]
    #11403561 - 11/07/09 10:12 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Knifey Mcstab said:
This idea is just dumb, I count on stop signs and other signs to prepare for the road conditions.

It's always done in the name of safety and security huh.

Why, what do you think piss tests are for? The safety of workers in the workplace. The war on drugs protects children and innocent people, and the more driving laws there are....

Laws......

--------------------
Life without drugs lacks substance(s).

InvisibleKnifey Mcstab
Sir Prancelot Brainfire
Male

Re: No Road Signs Lead To Better Driving, More Considertation. [Re: mikeisapro]
    #11403575 - 11/07/09 10:14 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Taking a piss test and driving have nothing to do with each other.

--------------------

Offlinemikeisapro
Pro

Re: No Road Signs Lead To Better Driving, More Considertation. [Re: Knifey Mcstab]
    #11403578 - 11/07/09 10:15 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Correct.

--------------------
Life without drugs lacks substance(s).

Offlineshivas.wisdom
בּ
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11403694 - 11/07/09 10:31 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Knifey Mcstab said:

Yes, you 'count on stop signs' and such.
But if you didn't, and you learned how to drive without roadsigns but instead payed attention to the surroundings and made decisions based on that it, then things might be different.

Sure, it is about 'safe and efficient'.
But what about the trend I see in north american drivers, the roads they ride on are so regulated and controlled with rules that after some years spent driving they tune it out and drive unconsciously. No more do they pay attention to the details of their surroundings but instead assume everything will work like clockwork so they don't need to pay extra attention.
In that case, safety is reduced- especially in occasions where the signs can't help out, like a kid/animal runs on the road or sudden debris/damage on the road.

Efficiency, imo either system can be more efficient.
Think of the times when you waited for a red light to change, even though there was not a single car using the current green. Not always efficient.

Let the cars all blend and flow like water is the most efficient. Take the path of least resistance, not the rigidly structured straight lines. If the right attitude is taken towards driving it is indeed this system (or lack of one) that is the 'safest and more efficient' from my experience.

--------------------

InvisibleKnifey Mcstab
Sir Prancelot Brainfire
Male

#11403714 - 11/07/09 10:33 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

So does everybody else, an overhaul of the system would only serve to confuse drivers.

Plus, this has only been tested in a small town and it wouldn't be practical to change our system.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom