Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineLeap
Lurker
Male User Gallery

Sleep Paralysis
    #11388750 - 11/05/09 01:10 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

In the past I have suffered from sever moments of sleep paralysis. If you are unfamiliar with the effects of sleep paralysis, here is a list for you: (via http://www.stanford.edu/~dement/paralysis.html)

*A complaint of inability to move the trunk or limbs at sleep onset or
upon awakening

*Presence of brief episodes of partial or complete skeletal muscle paralysis

*Episodes can be associated with hypnagogic hallucinations or dream-like mentation (act or use of the brain)

In my own experience I always felt like I was immediately leaving a dream. Within seconds I would realize that I was unable to move, or open my eyes. The most frightening aspect of these episodes was the inability to feel myself breathing. After some particularly horrifying experiences, I developed an almost fear of sleep. This plagued me for well over two years. I finally looked up information on this condition and realized that it was likely due to the combination of poor sleep scheduling and a natural body roll to sleep on my back.

Alright, before you get bored I'm going to get to the point. After these episodes, and subsequently "solving" the problem and not having a serious episode for about 6 months (6 years after my first experience), I have a hard time with severe paranoia at night. Turning my back to the dark or sitting with headphones on and not being able to see behind me can cause me to jump and get chills. Not to mention that I still have trouble falling asleep at night, it seems like it's hard to decide which direction to turn my back to. Silly, but quite the problem. I'm very rationale, and it is annoying to be bothered by something seemingly trivial.

Now, I am curious as to whether or not anyone else here has or has had a hard time with sleep paralysis.

If so, have you solved it?
If yes, any remaining problems with sleep?
If no, any day to day problems as a result?

Have you ever experienced hypnagogic (closed eye) visual hallucinations?
If yes, what were/was they/it?

I'd greatly appreciate any information that anyone can provide. I'm very curious about the phenomenon. Thanks. :smile:

--------------------
:thumbup: Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? :mushroom2:

October PES HW Grow

My thread on Sleep Paralysis - Please contribute!

The smell of sunshine, I remember sometimes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinehelter_skelter
Hello Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Sleep Paralysis [Re: Leap]
    #11388918 - 11/05/09 02:29 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

i cant answer your questions but do u smoke weed? when i went through periods of smoking copious amounts of weed i would get afraid of the dark.

for sleeping i suggest u get some melatonin, GABA and l-tryptophan.

OfflineHakim0777
aka RACKBONE!!!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PNW Flag
Re: Sleep Paralysis [Re: helter_skelter]
    #11388929 - 11/05/09 02:39 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I hate sleep paralysis. IT usually comes after lucid dreaming.

--------------------

OfflineLeap
Lurker
Male User Gallery

Re: Sleep Paralysis [Re: Hakim0777]
    #11389653 - 11/05/09 08:58 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I rarely smoke weed, and taking supplements rarely work well for me when it comes to sleep. :P

Hakim, that's what happened most recently. Went straight from lucid dream TO SP though. Haha, would have been better if it was the other way around like some people have written about.

I'm not seeking help from the community though, I'm trying to get the community's experience with the condition. Anyone out there?

--------------------
:thumbup: Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? :mushroom2:

October PES HW Grow

Invisibleeligal
Noobie

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California
    #11392021 - 11/05/09 04:14 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

This topic came up in a psychology class I took a few semesters back.
If I remember right everyone has some level of paralysis during sleep, some people more than others and is completely normal, and it usually effects your lower extremities more than others. This is why you dont move (too much) when youre dreaming, but its usually not a complete paralysis thus why you still might twitch or mumble during dreams.
Usually this paralysis should end just before you wake up, but in some people it lags and continues for a few seconds (or even a few minutes?) after you wake up. Its nothing to really be worried about and your body will not suffocate itself so you dont need to fear that you will stop breathing during your sleep (usually during sleep you dont breath as deeply as you would when awake and combined with sleep paralysis it probably might feel like youre not breathing at all).
But its been quite a while since I took that class and we didnt spend much time on it.

And to answer your questions:
An old friend of mine had sleep paralysis quite often.
It didnt effect his sleep and he didnt have any real problems with it other (than making him scared that he was paralyzed...).
And he never mentioned closed eye visual hallucinations...
Would also like to throw in that he was extremely healthy, exercised a lot, tennis player, didnt smoke weed or cigarettes, but did have the occasional beer.

(Sadly he did pass away about a year ago because he supposedly suffocated in his sleep, nobody is sure how it happened.)

ps: the link you put up doesnt work.

--------------------
\m/ Spanksta \m/

"do you have the freedom to do with your nervous system what you want?"

"MolokoMilkPlus said:
I'll respect you if you let me give you a blow job"

"tactik said:
respect the can."

OfflineLeap
Lurker
Male User Gallery

Re: Sleep Paralysis [Re: eligal]
    #11394328 - 11/05/09 09:33 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks very much for your input eligal, and very sorry about your friend.

I find the lack of feeling myself breathing interesting due to the many times I've woke up from an SP episode gasping for air. Another friend I'm gathering information from has very intense episodes to the point that the gasping feels necessary to live. She has told her daughter to be sure and listen if she is mumbling in her sleep or struggling to come in and wake her up.

What you tell me about your friend (all respect intended) is essential to my information gathering. The mind is an extremely powerful organ, as we all know. Is there a possibility than during an episode of Sleep Paralysis the conscious mind may have partial access to the back door of the psyche. Stories of people using SP to project, experience out of body experiences, or lucid dream give evidence to this possibility.

I'm looking to find more people that have had SP experiences but don't know what to call it. How many are out there? What have they experienced?

Again, thank you eligal!

--------------------

October PES HW Grow

Offlinehelter_skelter
Hello Stranger
Male User Gallery

#11394811 - 11/05/09 10:48 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

i've experienced an out of body experience and sleep paralysis, very similar in feeling, with my sleep paralysis i was in a dream and felt like i had a finger up my arse, very discomforting to say the least and that feeling continued for a a minute or 2, i wasnt terrified because it felt like the out of body experience i had earlier, so i knew it was on the same par if ya know what i mean and i thought i was ready to take off. i was mighty pissed off when i couldnt move a muscle.

i suggest you see a sleep doctor about the gasping for air, i have experienced the same thing and i have a feeling it might be sleep apnea. funny i've experienced this but i've breathed underwater in a dream.

Offlinedavegrant73
Stranger

Loc: southeast, usa
    #11395599 - 11/06/09 02:06 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I experienced sleep paralysis probably about 4-5 times over the last 2 years.  The first time I was completely scared, and all I could do was moan until about 20 seconds later when I snapped out of it.  Since then, if it occurs, I understand it and try to enjoy it, since I know that it will not harm me and will go away shortly.  It also probably occured 75% of the time while napping.  It seems to me that sleep paralysis works in conjunction with lucid dreams.  Whenever I realize my dream state while dreaming, either I continue in the dream or freeze up, and suddenly find myself to be a limp hunk of meat lying in bed, but this is usually ended after 5-20 seconds.

I'm really glad you've brought up the pre-sleep visuals.  I get these very often, and have actually gotten to the point where I can bring them to my vision whenever I'm sitting or laying down.  First they are basic, which I'm sure everyone has experienced... shapes, lines, that weird donut-ring thing (maybe thats just me).  But then you begin to lose hearing--but its not that you lose it, you just stop paying attention.  Everything becomes fuzzy feeling, you stop feeling bed and begin feeling nothing all around.  My breathing begins to feel heavy, although I know I am breathing normally.  My test to see if I've reached this point is to pretend I'm spinning in random directions, like a line spinning in all direction from one point in space.  If I know not which way is up or down or "bed" I know something has been reached.  From this, true 3D visuals will begin.  They aren't just geometry, but room-scapes, usually a slow panning survey of my drum machines and mixers near my desk.  From here, either these fade out, or I slowly and unknowingly drift into a lucid dream, or just fall asleep.

I understand your concern for feeling kinda duped my something so trivial as sleep.  So many people eat their dinner and lay down and fall asleep instantly.  But there is something special and personal about lying in bed and wondering what the hell is going on, and actually experimenting with such an overlooked phenomenon.  Thanks for posting about this, and hopefully my account has been helpful!

--------------------
"I’d rather to be poor and clean and humble than to be rich in mansions"

Scientist - Cloning Process

Edited by davegrant73 (11/06/09 02:08 AM)

OfflineLeap
Lurker
Male User Gallery

Re: Sleep Paralysis [Re: davegrant73]
    #11395875 - 11/06/09 05:08 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Thank you both, you've added a lot here!

It's nice having the lucid dream aspect better brought to my attention. I feel like I can possibly remember to try and regain some semblance of conscious willpower while remaining calm during the next episode. davegrant73, you mention the moaning for 20 seconds before snapping out of it. I've experienced two forms of this panic. The first is "waking up" in a SP state and realizing that I'm moaning, trying to shake myself out of it before I am making purposeful thoughts towards that action. The second is realizing I can't move, the consciously choosing to moan and shake myself awake.

To me, this is giving evidence towards something happening that neither the body or mind is expecting. If we look at a more mystical theory about what's going on, another friend of mine suggests that it's our consciousness escaping our body, but with "strings attached." Just enough connection remains to confuse the senses. He said it's at that point you can choose whether you want to cut the strings and dream or reattach the strings and anchor, waking up.

I also agree there is something special about the experience, and possibly I could find a way to utilize it the way the some have. Could be the key for me to stop fearing it. Also, davegrant73, I find your description of the achieved dream state interesting. The fact you are seeing room-scapes. Full on visual perception from your mind's eye. I've experienced similar things, but never like that. I'll see the rings of color, the clouds that I slowly gain control over, and neat bursting on what looks like nebulae. But this always fades directly into sleep for me. :smile: Lucky! Haha

Thank you both again!

--------------------

October PES HW Grow

Invisiblerod
Ψ
 User Gallery

#11396209 - 11/06/09 07:23 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I have this happen a lot of times. It does not really bother me, I just lay there till I can move.
I take a lot of different meds, and I believe they sometimes trigger my happenings.
Rod

Offlinehelter_skelter
Hello Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Sleep Paralysis [Re: rod]
    #11401158 - 11/06/09 09:49 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

so non-one else can relate to the sodomy?:shrug:

OfflineLeap
Lurker
Male User Gallery

#11401610 - 11/06/09 11:13 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

helter_skelter said:
so non-one else can relate to the sodomy?:shrug:

Haha, sorry to leave you out. I can't say I've experienced the "sodomy." However it makes sense when dealing with loss of muscle control or being dissociated from your body.

For instance, when smoking DMT, the most uncomfortable feeling for me is the feeling of saliva in my throat or mucus drainage on my throat. I can feel its presence in a quite overwhelming way. There's a lot of nerves in that area, as well as a lot of muscles. Perhaps the disconnection caused a very noticeable sensation for you. I think that would be a quite apparent sensation given the location. :wink:

It does provide evidence for a link that many have made in the past. That a powerful SP experience can lead to a full blown alien abduction scenario. If it caused looseness or even constriction of the rectum, the imagination could make the easy leap to insertion of a foreign object, i.e. alien probing.

--------------------

October PES HW Grow

Invisiblealexithymia
Smiling Puppy
Loc: Utah
    #11401723 - 11/06/09 11:31 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I suffer from sleep paralysis about 2-3 times a month.  I always see very disturbing images. Basically I awake in a semi-conscious state, where my body is still completely in REM sleep but I can see my surrounding and feel my body but have no control. Most often I am in a state of constant shaking (almost feels like a seizure) and my eyelids are blinking very fast and my tongue is flicking around in my mouth but I can't stop it or control any of it. It's kind of creepy, usually takes about 15 seconds though and it passes. During that 15 seconds I see anything from demon figures to just strange morphing of my surroundings (almost like a trip).  One time I saw myself, peeking from behind my door and laughing at me in this demonic high pitched laugh.

I'm not sure where it comes from or why I suffer from it so much. It's been happening to me ever since I was little, it's only become so prevalent in the last few years though.  I suppose there's not much I can do about it, I just kind of accept it.

OfflineLeap
Lurker
Male User Gallery

Re: Sleep Paralysis [Re: alexithymia]
    #11401901 - 11/07/09 12:11 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Wow, now that is very interesting.

In a way, that sounds more like a temporal lobe disorder. It is possible the two are related, but wow. I've never heard of such an extreme case. You're asking why, and I'm honestly having a very difficult time reasoning a proper answer to that.

On one hand, if it's SP, it's happening for an unknown reason, but is generally "cured" by taking care of yourself mentally and physically. Better sleep schedule, take care of unresolved issues of stress, and ensure you're sleeping comfortably. If you sleep on your back, try and get used to sleeping on your side or on your belly.

On the other hand, there is the idea that something much deeper is happening here. In many cultures SP has been related with demons. Mostly the feeling that a demon is sitting on your chest and preventing you from moving. But there have been reports of cases in Japan where the "victim" actually sees a demon, a presence, or sometimes a person.

Sensation plays directly on our subconscious. You're mind is actually trying to help you by showing you what it thinks needs to be seen to cope with the sensation prevailing. This could very well be what's happening to you. Plus, once you see something like that, it's very easy for it to be burned in on your brain as the expected truth of the situation. Your mind isn't one to experiment and compare results on its own.

I'm not sure what to tell you, but I suppose it depends on what sort of difference it makes in your day to day life. If you're experiencing psychological disturbance as a result, by all means seek help. When anything damages your natural sleep cycle you're edging closer to sleep deprivation, and trust me, that's a fast downward spiral that's hard to climb out of.

--------------------

October PES HW Grow

Offlinedavegrant73
Stranger

Loc: southeast, usa
    #11402224 - 11/07/09 01:30 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

man, I love hearing about peoples weird sleep issues.  its interesting!

I forgot to add to my post above, when going into that pre-sleep visual stage, my eyes start twitching like nuts!  I also close my eyes and attempt to focus on something 3-4 feet in front of me in the blackness.  its hard to explain, but try it.  pretend the black is a dark room, and try to focus in on different depths from your point of view.

--------------------
"I’d rather to be poor and clean and humble than to be rich in mansions"

Scientist - Cloning Process

OfflineLeap
Lurker
Male User Gallery

Re: Sleep Paralysis [Re: davegrant73]
    #11403588 - 11/07/09 10:16 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

dave, I did that one night while I was having trouble sleeping. Heh, it worked well after a while. My eyes never twitched but at some point I could feel my eyes were slightly crossed. That reminded me of how I see OEV's on shrooms and DMT.  Freaked out my friend when I was staring at the sky, cross-eyed. He didn't see what I saw. :wink:

--------------------

October PES HW Grow

Invisiblealexithymia
Smiling Puppy
Loc: Utah
    #11403703 - 11/07/09 10:31 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Leap said:
Wow, now that is very interesting.

In a way, that sounds more like a temporal lobe disorder. It is possible the two are related, but wow. I've never heard of such an extreme case. You're asking why, and I'm honestly having a very difficult time reasoning a proper answer to that.

On one hand, if it's SP, it's happening for an unknown reason, but is generally "cured" by taking care of yourself mentally and physically. Better sleep schedule, take care of unresolved issues of stress, and ensure you're sleeping comfortably. If you sleep on your back, try and get used to sleeping on your side or on your belly.

On the other hand, there is the idea that something much deeper is happening here. In many cultures SP has been related with demons. Mostly the feeling that a demon is sitting on your chest and preventing you from moving. But there have been reports of cases in Japan where the "victim" actually sees a demon, a presence, or sometimes a person.

Sensation plays directly on our subconscious. You're mind is actually trying to help you by showing you what it thinks needs to be seen to cope with the sensation prevailing. This could very well be what's happening to you. Plus, once you see something like that, it's very easy for it to be burned in on your brain as the expected truth of the situation. Your mind isn't one to experiment and compare results on its own.

I'm not sure what to tell you, but I suppose it depends on what sort of difference it makes in your day to day life. If you're experiencing psychological disturbance as a result, by all means seek help. When anything damages your natural sleep cycle you're edging closer to sleep deprivation, and trust me, that's a fast downward spiral that's hard to climb out of.

Hmm that's interesting..

It really doesn't make a difference in my day to day life. The morning after a sleep paralysis episode I feel a little shaken up, but it doesn't last long.  I'd hate to think this is all due to something that's inherently wrong with my brain :undecided:

OfflineLeap
Lurker
Male User Gallery

Re: Sleep Paralysis [Re: alexithymia]
    #11404089 - 11/07/09 11:25 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

No, I wouldn't read into that much. If your day to day life isn't disturbed, there's no reason to worry. And hey, maybe you're just the next step in human evolution. :wink:

--------------------

October PES HW Grow

Offlinedogwood
Stranger
 User Gallery

#11404408 - 11/07/09 12:00 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

ive had this happen maybe five or ten times in my life.  its kind of scary while its happening but at the same time i kind of enjoy it.

a few times ive had demon like figures on my chest or at the end of my bed pulling on my leg.  and several years ago i saw something on tv that said the demon thing was quite common and alot of people experienced being raped by the demon.  luckily, the demon has not raped me yet.:thumbup:
.  he or she just gets in my face and screams.

but ive noticed someone else mentioned the sodomy thing

OfflineLeap
Lurker
Male User Gallery

Re: Sleep Paralysis [Re: dogwood]
    #11405261 - 11/07/09 02:17 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for your input! Yeah, scary how common the demon occurrence is through history.

--------------------

October PES HW Grow

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag