Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinesurferdude66066
Stranger
 User Gallery

Conditioning and Strength Training
    #11401216 - 11/06/09 10:03 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Well, my parents are both certified personal trainers, I have trained for several years and have made lots of progress both in my own training and in how to train for different events/sports. I was wondering if anybody needed any help in different styles of training, such as body building, strength training, endurance training, Explosive (twitch fiber) training, etc. I'm open to all questions.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
Re: Conditioning and Strength Training [Re: surferdude66066]
    #11401359 - 11/06/09 10:30 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Have you fucked with Kettlebells?  And if so, what do you think of 'em?  :awebig:

Offlinesurferdude66066
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Conditioning and Strength Training [Re: memes]
    #11405514 - 11/07/09 02:56 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I have not had the chance to work with kettle bells personally, but my schools wrestling team uses them to great effect. I personally train for strength and endurance, for rugby. My favorite lifts are olympic lifts, for explosive strength. However, I also do the basics, such as Barbell Deep Squats and Dead lifts. However, Bench press has no effect on me whatsoever so I do Dumbbell presses...much better in my opinion. My press went up 70 pounds in 2 months as opposed to little to no progress in all my time (about 2 years) with bench pressing. My leg workout, for example, goes like this:
Leg extensions (warm-up)- 20 reps/1 set (315 pounds)
Power Cleans- 8 reps/3 sets (315 pounds)
Deep Squats- Reverse Pyramid/5 sets (405+ pounds)
Front Squats- 8 reps/3 sets (315 pounds)
Hack Squats- 8 reps/3 sets (315 pounds)
Leg Curls- 8 reps/3 sets (225 pounds)
Leg Press- Reverse Pyramid/5 sets (990 pounds+)
Leg Press Burnout (315 pounds)
Then warm down on the track, usually a mile or two

I would definitely be interested in working out with kettle bells given the opportunity however!

InvisibleChampion des Champignons
long standing member;)

Loc: Alba
    #11406566 - 11/07/09 05:41 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

that's a shitload of volume there.
my leg session is:

back squats 3x3
front squats 3x5

and I sometimes don't bother with the front squats.:grin:

--------------------
---------------------------------------------------
hmmm........

Offlinesurferdude66066
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Conditioning and Strength Training [Re: Champion des Champignons]
    #11411993 - 11/08/09 03:38 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Lol, I just worked up to that cause after a while, i just wasn't getting results from just a few workouts, had to hit the muscles differently throughout the workout! The main lifts are the squats, power cleans, and leg press...the rest is supplementary.

OfflineHakim0777
aka RACKBONE!!!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PNW Flag
    #11415207 - 11/08/09 10:57 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Whats the best way to tone up? Im not trying to have super big muscles I just want to be cut like a mofo.

--------------------

InvisibleP-O
#AnyoneButHarper
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Conditioning and Strength Training [Re: Hakim0777]
    #11415481 - 11/08/09 11:34 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

i keep hurting my back doing squats at home...

Im Doing 140 4 x7 ...  Problem is i am using my weight bench and bar for them.  So when i go to pick it up (put head under and stand up), ill usually still bend my back a bit when i first raise, and i think this is when i hurt it... 

after my 7th rep i just lift it over my head and put it back on the bench.  My form is good, so i think its the lifting of the bar that hurts me

Last time i was hurt for almost week.

Any tips? or other exercises that i can use?

btw.  im 25. 190. 6"1. work out 3 times a week(squat mond and fri).

Invisibleeligal
Noobie

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California
Re: Conditioning and Strength Training [Re: P-O]
    #11418757 - 11/09/09 12:54 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

PostiveOutlook said:
(put head under and stand up), ill usually still bend my back a bit when i first raise

That doesnt sound right...

To OP, Ive been doing olympic lifts when Im not wearing jeans at the gym, I think Im doing alright with form although Im still not able to lift much...

Any tips?

--------------------
\m/ Spanksta \m/

"do you have the freedom to do with your nervous system what you want?"

"MolokoMilkPlus said:
I'll respect you if you let me give you a blow job"

"tactik said:
respect the can."

Offlinesurferdude66066
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Conditioning and Strength Training [Re: eligal]
    #11421077 - 11/09/09 06:41 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Hakim0777 said:
Whats the best way to tone up? Im not trying to have super big muscles I just want to be cut like a mofo.

To tone up, you need to lose body fat. There's no other way to get a "toned" look. Even with high reps, low weight...you can't change the way a muscle is shaped. However, to get that toned look, you should
-Change up your workout often (every month or two)
-Work on STRENGTH, this will keep your muscles looking more pumped.
Don't worry about getting big...people train intensely for YEARS to become the size of bodybuilders...and unless you train for it, honestly, you shouldn't worry about it.

Quote:

PostiveOutlook said:
i keep hurting my back doing squats at home...

Im Doing 140 4 x7 ...  Problem is i am using my weight bench and bar for them.  So when i go to pick it up (put head under and stand up), ill usually still bend my back a bit when i first raise, and i think this is when i hurt it... 

after my 7th rep i just lift it over my head and put it back on the bench.  My form is good, so i think its the lifting of the bar that hurts me

Last time i was hurt for almost week.

Any tips? or other exercises that i can use?

btw.  im 25. 190. 6"1. work out 3 times a week(squat mond and fri).

Try getting directly under the bar, pushing with your legs to get it off the rack, then walking it back. That way, you're using your legs the whole time. Also, make sure you have the bar on your TRAPS, not your neck. And as far as posture goes, Keep chest wide, keep back straight, look up, etc. If your equipment is hindering you, get new equipment...being cheap is not worth getting injured for. But even the cheapest squat rack will help you immensely.

Quote:

eligal said:
Quote:

PostiveOutlook said:
(put head under and stand up), ill usually still bend my back a bit when i first raise

That doesnt sound right...

To OP, Ive been doing olympic lifts when Im not wearing jeans at the gym, I think Im doing alright with form although Im still not able to lift much...

Any tips?

Alright...which olympic lifts are you doing? Full cleans? Power Cleans? Hang Cleans? Power Snatch? Clean and Jerk? Clean and Press?

OfflineDarkMoon21
Child In Time
Male

Loc: Vancouver, BC
    #11422797 - 11/09/09 10:01 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I posted this over on the Ross Training forums, but didn't get much response there. You seem to know your shit, so here goes:

Quote:

I'm looking to add some new lifts to my routine, but not being any sort of physiologist, I'm not sure what would best compliment the routine I already have without overworking, underworking, or otherwise abusing my body (in a bad way). I've only been working out consistently for a few months, and the changes are noticeable, but I want to mix it up a tad.

Here's what I've been doing:
Day 1
Bench Press
Squats
Barbell Snatch

Day 2
Burpees 'til failure
TVA Training
Weighted Plank
Weighted Sit up
Weighted Crunches (side to side)
Different Bodyweight excersises until exhaustion

Day 3
Military Press
Deadlift
Power Clean

Day 4
Sledgehammer Tire Beatdown 
Burpees 'til failure
Jump rope
Parkour-esque Jungle Gym stuff, basically just aerobic body-weight circuits (I try to do such stuff whenever I get a chance, climbing trees, jumping obstacles, that sorta thing)

Pretty much I'm looking to round out days 1 and 3, would it be advisable to throw in some burpees or sprints after a workout?

Before anyone asks, I don't really have any specific goals besides general fitness and athletisism (probably spelled that wrong). I may be joining a gym around here that would include Muy Thai, BJJ, and MMA all on different days (which would be the off days of my lifting). For the sake of progress, I made a goal of
Benching 175 (I'm at 140 right now)
and doing 40 Burpees as fast as possible (I can do about 20-25 before I get tired now, probably more, but I usually do them after the rest of the excersise) I haven't actually timed this yet, will next time.

Any advice, tips, suggestions, anything is greatly appreciated.

Be as detailed as you possibly can, thanks a hellova lot man!

My basic workout (I added things to the conditioning & endurance days, nothing to the lifts yet) was outlined for me by a friend training to be an MMA fighter, and is a great workout that kicks my ass, but I'd still like to expand it a bit, find variations I can throw in when, as was your problem, I stop getting results from the same old lifts over and over.

Also, check out the "Getting in Shape" thread, that looks to be shaping up to be the new shroomery fitness thread. I bet people in there would love some info.

And on an unrelated note, Dimebag Darrel kicks fuckin' ass! Pantera is the shit.

--------------------
-=-Never Sigh For Better World
It's Already Composed
Played And Told-=-

Science gives a consistent how with an incomplete why.
Faith gives an inconsistent how with a complete why.

Invisibleeligal
Noobie

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California
    #11425860 - 11/10/09 12:24 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

surferdude66066 said:

Alright...which olympic lifts are you doing? Full cleans? Power Cleans? Hang Cleans? Power Snatch? Clean and Jerk? Clean and Press?

Snatch, Dumbbell Snatch, Hang Snatch, Push Press, Hang Cleans, Power Cleans (I try to do full cleans but I usually cant drop myself all the way down so I end up doing power cleans without really wanting to...), and the Clean and Press.

--------------------
\m/ Spanksta \m/

"do you have the freedom to do with your nervous system what you want?"

"MolokoMilkPlus said:
I'll respect you if you let me give you a blow job"

"tactik said:
respect the can."

Offlinesurferdude66066
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Conditioning and Strength Training [Re: eligal]
    #11427207 - 11/10/09 04:33 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

DarkMoon21 said:
I posted this over on the Ross Training forums, but didn't get much response there. You seem to know your shit, so here goes:

Quote:

I'm looking to add some new lifts to my routine, but not being any sort of physiologist, I'm not sure what would best compliment the routine I already have without overworking, underworking, or otherwise abusing my body (in a bad way). I've only been working out consistently for a few months, and the changes are noticeable, but I want to mix it up a tad.

Here's what I've been doing:
Day 1
Bench Press
Squats
Barbell Snatch

Day 2
Burpees 'til failure
TVA Training
Weighted Plank
Weighted Sit up
Weighted Crunches (side to side)
Different Bodyweight excersises until exhaustion

Day 3
Military Press
Deadlift
Power Clean

Day 4
Sledgehammer Tire Beatdown 
Burpees 'til failure
Jump rope
Parkour-esque Jungle Gym stuff, basically just aerobic body-weight circuits (I try to do such stuff whenever I get a chance, climbing trees, jumping obstacles, that sorta thing)

Pretty much I'm looking to round out days 1 and 3, would it be advisable to throw in some burpees or sprints after a workout?

Before anyone asks, I don't really have any specific goals besides general fitness and athletisism (probably spelled that wrong). I may be joining a gym around here that would include Muy Thai, BJJ, and MMA all on different days (which would be the off days of my lifting). For the sake of progress, I made a goal of
Benching 175 (I'm at 140 right now)
and doing 40 Burpees as fast as possible (I can do about 20-25 before I get tired now, probably more, but I usually do them after the rest of the excersise) I haven't actually timed this yet, will next time.

Any advice, tips, suggestions, anything is greatly appreciated.

Be as detailed as you possibly can, thanks a hellova lot man!

My basic workout (I added things to the conditioning & endurance days, nothing to the lifts yet) was outlined for me by a friend training to be an MMA fighter, and is a great workout that kicks my ass, but I'd still like to expand it a bit, find variations I can throw in when, as was your problem, I stop getting results from the same old lifts over and over.

Also, check out the "Getting in Shape" thread, that looks to be shaping up to be the new shroomery fitness thread. I bet people in there would love some info.

And on an unrelated note, Dimebag Darrel kicks fuckin' ass! Pantera is the shit.

Day 1: Try Alternating Bench Press With Dumbell press every other workout or something, and get some incline press in there. I Personally wouldn't Bench and Squat on the same day, You usually only train multiple body parts with a major lift such as bench press if you're in season or preseason due to time constraints. Judging from your schedule though, it seems like it'd be hard to get a good split.3 days of lifting would help alot...but If you're really stuck at 2 lifting days, do pushing muscles one day, and pulling muscles the other. Like, Bench, Incline, Standing military press, Deep Squats (PERFECT FORM OR DON'T DO THEM!!!), Power Cleans, and Legpress if you can stand it on day 1...On day 2, do Deadlifts, Back Rows, Leg Curls, Pullups, Hyper Extensions, and Curls. Yes, Pantera IS the shit :grin:

Quote:

eligal said:
Quote:

surferdude66066 said:

Snatch, Dumbbell Snatch, Hang Snatch, Push Press, Hang Cleans, Power Cleans (I try to do full cleans but I usually cant drop myself all the way down so I end up doing power cleans without really wanting to...), and the Clean and Press.

Alright, for olympic lifts, most important thing, like squats, is to keep your back strong and chest wide. Start from a JUMP stance, rather than an athletic stance (jump stance, your feet are slightly narrower than shoulder width, athletic stance, your feet are slightly wider than shoulder width)...make sure the bar travels in a straight line up, you don't want to tear a rotator cuff like I did :frown: Just keep working on your technique before you start moving up in weight...I was power cleaning only like 135 until about 4 months ago, then I got the technique down and my strength went through the roof...no matter what lift it is, technique is wayy more important than how much you can lift. Hope I'm helping you guys out!

OfflineDarkMoon21
Child In Time
Male

#11430537 - 11/11/09 01:03 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Nah man, by all means I can switch around my routine to throw in 3 days of lifting. This is a template a friend of mine gave me, and outside these lifts and very few variations, I don't really know much. Yes, I know I really need to invest in some books or something. I'll try your lifts for the next few weeks, see how much it kicks my ass (I'm sure it will do so quite well). Wouldn't 3 days of lifting a week overwork certain muscles?

--------------------
It's Already Composed
Played And Told-=-

Offlinesamba_lightning
diminished 5th
Male User Gallery

#11432462 - 11/11/09 11:22 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hey, i was wondering what the healthiest, cheap and full of calories food you can get to put weight on?

I'm struggling a bit getting say 3000 healthy calories... i can usually on do it with 'unhealthy' food such as take aways etc..

--------------------

OfflineCannashroom
Smoke two Joints
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
Re: Conditioning and Strength Training [Re: samba_lightning]
    #11432551 - 11/11/09 11:36 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Lentils, bananas, coconut oil (bit expensive), quinoa (bit expensive).  Make bit chilis, curries, stews etc and have them on a grain like quinoa or buckwheat.  You can take in lots of healthy calories.  Lentils are very cheap protein and carb source.

Eating 10 pieces of fruit during the day will be 1000 calories and extremely healthy, try to eat as many colours as possible.

Coconut oil is the healthiest cooking oil, it doesn't form free radicals and has tons of calories, cook you favorite meals with it.

--------------------
"A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe'; a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest -- a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.

This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and affection for a few persons nearest us.

Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole nature in its beauty.

Nobody is able to achieve this completely but striving for such achievement is, in itself, a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security."

Albert Einstein

Offlinesurferdude66066
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Conditioning and Strength Training [Re: samba_lightning]
    #11434423 - 11/11/09 04:05 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

DarkMoon21 said:
Nah man, by all means I can switch around my routine to throw in 3 days of lifting. This is a template a friend of mine gave me, and outside these lifts and very few variations, I don't really know much. Yes, I know I really need to invest in some books or something. I'll try your lifts for the next few weeks, see how much it kicks my ass (I'm sure it will do so quite well). Wouldn't 3 days of lifting a week overwork certain muscles?

Not if you split it properly. My split in the offseason, for example, was Legs, Chest and Triceps, Back and Biceps, Shoulders and Traps, and Abs Calves and Forearms. If you're training for strength (3-8 reps, 90% max+), you have to lift often since you're training your nervous system to engage the maximum number of fibers(3-4 times a week), rather than tearing muscle fibers when you're training for Mass (8-12 reps, 75% max+), which requires you to have very long recovery periods so your muscles can fully recuperate (usually have a 7 day recovery period for each muscle group). With a 3 day split, you can train for strength. Seeing as your other days seem to be Caveman style workouts (conditioning and some strength), I'd say for your 2 lifting days try this:
Day 1:
Bench Press - 8-6-6-4 Reps
Deep Squat - 8-6-6-4 Reps
Dumbbell Press - 10-8-6 Reps
Straight Leg Deadlifts - 10 Reps
Straight Bar Curls - 10-8-6 Reps
Tricep Pushdowns - 15 Reps

Day 2
Power Cleans - 6-4-4-2 Reps
Dead Lifts - 6-4-4-2 Reps
Shrugs - 10-8-6 Reps
Military Press - 10-8-6 Reps
Lat Pull Downs - 10-8-6 Reps
Front Raises - 10-8-6 Reps

Very similar to what you had before, but with a bit extra thrown in. On 6 4 4 2, and 10 8 6 sets, increase weight every time you reduce the rep numbers. Hope this helps my shroomery brother!

Quote:

samba_lightning said:
Hey, i was wondering what the healthiest, cheap and full of calories food you can get to put weight on?

I'm struggling a bit getting say 3000 healthy calories... i can usually on do it with 'unhealthy' food such as take aways etc..

I wouldn't recommend eating 10 items of fruit a day...fruit is high in fructose, and you want a more balanced diet than 1000 calories of fruit.
High quality calorie food includes: Brown rice, Oats, Nuts and Seeds, Eggs, and if you can afford it, try and get a whey protein powder or something. I personally eat about 4000 calories a day...but if you want a 3000 calorie eating plan, I can PM you one.

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
    #11438542 - 11/12/09 02:29 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Can you explain to me the benefits of a protein powder, and differences in products?

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Offlinesurferdude66066
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Conditioning and Strength Training [Re: PDU]
    #11441793 - 11/12/09 03:34 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Protein powder shouldn't be used as your primary source of protein, but as a protein supplement. It is very beneficial pre and post workout, because it allows you to get protein to your muscles in the time when they need it most. There are different kinds of proteins you tend to get in powders, such as whey, whey isolate, micellar casein, egg protein, and soy protein. Whey protein and Whey isolate digest quickly, so they are best before and directly after you workout. Casein is slow digesting, so it's good for before you go to bed. As for soy and egg protein, I haven't heard of many people getting powders for them so I'm not too sure. For protein powders, I recommend Optimum Nutrition. They are the best bang for your buck in my opinion, and they work great. And the main difference between products is that different companies have different protein blends, amino acids, strength supplements, etc. But for the most part, the difference is negligible. The only training supplements in my experience that have really made a difference are creatine monohydrate and nitric oxide, and they're usually only found in gainer shakes or in their own separate product.

Invisiblederanger
 User Gallery

Loc: off the wall
    #11441880 - 11/12/09 03:46 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

why do people feel the need to bulk up their muscles?

being fit and having a nice body is nice but i don't get why more is needed.

i guess maybe for rock climbing...

but that is besides the point.

(i know this doesn't have much to do with the OP but i am curious)

Edited by deranger (11/12/09 03:48 PM)

OfflineDarkMoon21
Child In Time
Male

Re: Conditioning and Strength Training [Re: deranger]
    #11442094 - 11/12/09 04:16 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

deranger said:
why do people feel the need to bulk up their muscles?

being fit and having a nice body is nice but i don't get why more is needed.

i guess maybe for rock climbing...

but that is besides the point.

(i know this doesn't have much to do with the OP but i am curious)

It's a great way to get to know your body, to push your limits, to become stronger and faster (a basic instinct that I think is latent in all of us, realized or not). It gives me something more functional to do with my time than sit around getting high.

In a typical heterosexual relationship, the man generally wants to feel like a man right? There are exceptions of course, but let's speak generally here. How can he do that if he's weak, unable to defend not only himself, but his girlfriend as well? So many people work out, if only to buy into a stereotype of being the big strong manly man in the relationship, or to seem like a tough guy in front of his friends (IE your typical club-going meathead). It's a confidence thing, I definitely feel safer walking the streets at night knowing I can defend myself if I'm threatened, and I know my girlfriend feels safer when I'm with her, which fulfills some desire as a man to feel adequate, useful I guess.

And it's just fun, I love exhausting myself with a workout and going to bed feeling accomplished. Seeing and feeling my body get in shape is great, and inspires me to eat healthier, smoke and drink less, be more confident in myself, and just generally have a more kick ass life.

I'm by no means a meathead, I enjoy intellectual pursuits infinitely moreso than I do physical pursuits, but I can hardly consider myself smart if I let my body turn to shit from inactivity now can I? I firmly believe in using our bodies as much as our minds, so many humanbeings these days are fat, lazy, unmotivated, unable to handle disease, unwilling to tolerate the natural patterns of the earth, and are on a whole just gigantic pussies. I loathe our race and what it is turning into. Why must we get smarter at the expense of our bodies? We evolved in this fashion for a reason, yet we are constantly denying our heritage in leu of "progress". Most scientists know now that the health of the planet and the survival of our species lies in a synergy of nature and technology. On a personal level, I believe it requires a synergy of mind and body to be accomplished.

Surfer dude, thanks alot for the lifting outline, I'll try that routine starting with day 2 tomorrow and see how it works out. I'm sure this is gonna rape my body in the best way possible. :discodance:

--------------------
It's Already Composed
Played And Told-=-

Edited by DarkMoon21 (11/12/09 04:45 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale