Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTheMidnightRider
Stranger

First attempt hoping for advice
    #11400808 - 11/06/09 08:34 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

The full story, my first attempt was about 6 months ago, I look two ancient dried caps I found in my dresser, got the few spores I could get from them, put them in 2 very understerilized jelly jars full of perlite (I can't seem to find vermiculite in my area at all) and brown rice flour, needless to say, utter failure.

I did a lot more research, and invested in the supplies to do it right. I'm now using rye and planning to fruit in pizza boxes, I have 4 strains going, I've had 90% successful colonization with a mexican strain, about 50% success with a strain called Penis Envy, and I'm fine with those rates, my first concerns are the other two strains, I had only 1 of my 10 B+ jars colonize, the rest either looked to dry or had some yellowish brown almost greasy contaminate at the bottom of the jars, and the other was Treasure Coast which 3 didn't colonize and the rest had lipstick mold.

I just now cased the successful jars in pizza boxes with a bottom layer of pasteurized perlite 80% and rye 20% and a maybe 2 or 3 grams of calcium carbonate, the 2nd layer was about 10% perlite, 25% rye, 40% mycelium, 10% peat moss, and 15% potting soil with 2 grams of calcium carbonate, and the top layer which is 15% perlite, 60% peat moss, 20% potting soil, and 5% rye with about 4 grams of calcium carbonate, also when cooking the rye except for the jars I cooked it in  a 90% water/10% molasses mixture.

My hopes are that the mycelium I have with continue to expend into the mostly rye layer before I induce fruiting. I'm now incubating them wrapped in foil in my oven 18 hours a day at 95 degrees.

I waited for the Treasure coast to overgrow the lipstick mold and then cased it just to see if it would still work and the ones that didn't fully overgrow it I treated with H2O2 until the red had disappeared and cased those separately.

I'm basically looking for any advice or comments on my methods, possible sources for the my biggest contaminants, ie was it more likely that my syringe was contaminated with lipstick mold or is it more likely that the strain is particularly vulnerable to that contaminant. Also whether or not my pizza box method with have any success.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleavorg
Quixotic
Folding@home Statistics
Re: First attempt hoping for advice [Re: TheMidnightRider]
    #11400855 - 11/06/09 08:42 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

your incubation temp is way too high. 84°F is as high as you want to go.

why are you using molasses to cook rye? maybe you know something I don't, but I'm pretty sure it will caramelize, making it very difficult to cultivate with.

as for everything else, the biggest issue with rye, if everything else is okay, is IMO water content. how are you cooking it?

Oh and B+ isn't that great to begin with.

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Loc: Westcoast Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: First attempt hoping for advice [Re: avorg]
    #11400864 - 11/06/09 08:44 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Any cube strain is great to start with whether it be  B+ to Oak Ridge.

To say B+ is no good to start with is not really a valid statement a cubes a cube

Edited by Shea25 (11/06/09 08:48 PM)

Invisibleavorg
Quixotic
Folding@home Statistics
Re: First attempt hoping for advice [Re: Shea25]
    #11400877 - 11/06/09 08:46 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

:shrug:I didn't mean "to start with"

maybe I should have said "in the first place"

anything to add to the topic:shrug:

OfflineGrizzdude
Twistificated
 User Gallery

Loc: The year of the Big Dirty
    #11400880 - 11/06/09 08:47 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I started with Bomb + and the potency is out of your FACE!

--------------------

OfflineTheMidnightRider
Stranger

#11400883 - 11/06/09 08:47 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Ok, Haha I'll keep them down, pretty much I'm turning my oven on to 170 for about 10 minutes, waiting another 10, and then putting them in for the rest of the day, so it varies but they keep the heat amazingly well, they're warm a day after the oven's off.

As for the molasses, one of my main sources of information Growing Mushrooms the easy was by R. R. Wayne in which he suggests using molasses as part of a nutrient solution, I only used that for half of my boxes just to see what happens.

Invisibleavorg
Quixotic
Folding@home Statistics
    #11400896 - 11/06/09 08:50 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

TheMidnightRider said:
As for the molasses, one of my main sources of information Growing Mushrooms the easy was by R. R. Wayne in which he suggests using molasses as part of a nutrient solution, I only used that for half of my boxes just to see what happens.

I think this may be referring to a liquid culture, but I am not familiar with that source so maybe not.

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #11400898 - 11/06/09 08:51 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Using Cardboard pizza boxes is not a suitable tray to fruit in. Also there no need to use perlite in a casing also did you spawn that to uncolonized rye??

Do not use molasses in bulk or casing or anything other then a LC

Edited by Shea25 (11/06/09 08:52 PM)

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
    #11400905 - 11/06/09 08:53 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Read, read, read.    After reading all you can find, find more to read.

I'm not knocking your methods, nor your desire, but when I read what you have done, I have to assume that you haven't read all that much.

Do NOT use an incubator. They are so eighties.

Do NOT use a casing until you can successfully grow a mushroom without one. They make the process more difficult and they are not necessary unless your FC sucks.

Your contamination rates are abysmal. Use a control for each stage of your grow to find out where you need the most improvement.

Pizza box?  Is this the new college grow tek?

Welcome to the site. :goodluck:

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

OfflineBreakfast Crew
Cheerios
Male

#11400920 - 11/06/09 08:55 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Using perlite as part of your substrate? I really don't believe anyone has read your post thoroughly as perlite is non nutritious for mycelium.

I just now cased the successful jars in pizza boxes with a bottom layer of pasteurized perlite 80% and rye 20% and a maybe 2 or 3 grams of calcium carbonate, the 2nd layer was about 10% perlite, 25% rye, 40% mycelium, 10% peat moss, and 15% potting soil with 2 grams of calcium carbonate, and the top layer which is 15% perlite, 60% peat moss, 20% potting soil, and 5% rye with about 4 grams of calcium carbonate, also when cooking the rye except for the jars I cooked it in  a 90% water/10% molasses mixture.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I have no idea what you mean by all this nonsense, what exactly is 40% mycelium?

Please write a coherent sentence or at least try.

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: First attempt hoping for advice [Re: Breakfast Crew]
    #11400926 - 11/06/09 08:57 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I hope the rye in thoes figures is colonized rye. If not then it will 99% for sure contam, especially in a soggy cardboard tray

Edited by Shea25 (11/06/09 08:57 PM)

OfflineTheMidnightRider
Stranger

Re: First attempt hoping for advice [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #11400937 - 11/06/09 08:59 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hahaha thanks, this is all just experimentation at this point, if I get one mushroom to make a print from I'll be satisfied. I'll lay off the molasses though. I'm mostly doing this just to learn so I did some unusual things again just to see what will happen. I've read a lot about methods that do work figured I'd find out for my self what variations will and won't.

OfflineTheMidnightRider
Stranger

#11400944 - 11/06/09 09:00 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I meant 25% pasteurized rye and by mycelium I meant colonized rye.

OfflineTheMidnightRider
Stranger

#11400950 - 11/06/09 09:01 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I also baked the boxes at 350 for an hour before putting anything in them.

OfflineBreakfast Crew
Cheerios
Male

#11400960 - 11/06/09 09:05 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Seems like you just ignored every piece of advice you've read off this forum. :shrug:

Start with the basics, then after a successful grow do something similar but different.  That's how you will learn what works better and what doesn't.

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #11400965 - 11/06/09 09:06 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

spawning colonized rye to uncolonized rye in a bulk fashion will usually result in contams. rye has to be sterile to colonize not pasteurized and be in a sterile environment the whole way until its 100% colonized

Invisibleavorg
Quixotic
Folding@home Statistics
    #11400978 - 11/06/09 09:08 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I'm not going to tell you that you're ignorant for trying to grow in a pizza box. I do think you might run into a problem with the box itself colonizing.

Invisibleavorg
Quixotic
Folding@home Statistics
    #11401001 - 11/06/09 09:14 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Shea25 said:
spawning colonized rye to uncolonized rye in a bulk fashion will usually result in contams.

true

Quote:

Shea25 said:
rye has to be sterile to colonize not pasteurized and be in a sterile environment the whole way until its 100% colonized

false. it does not have to be sterile to colonize, but it is strongly recommended and will most likely result in failure.

and be in a sterile environment the whole way...:shrug:
I've had loose lids on rye jars sit out for weeks and they colonized no problem, would hardly call that a sterile environment.

don't get me wrong OP, there are several things that you could do differently for better chances of success, and cleanliness is in your best interest. but I'm not against experimenting.

OfflineTheMidnightRider
Stranger

#11401009 - 11/06/09 09:15 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Haha maybe I was a bit too excited for experimentation at this point, next time I'll stick more to the book. Thanks for the advice so far, however, does anyone have suggestions for remedying my current situation?

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #11401012 - 11/06/09 09:16 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Well 99% of the time rye that your want to colonize with healthy Myc does have to remain pretty sterile the whole way until 100% done. try innocing a jar and open the lid once a day and see how far you get with that. Why do you think for grains we PC them and also seal them in jars with filters for gas Exchange

quote from RR
Quote:

BRF must be kept completely sterile during colonization.  That precludes using it for bulk in the method the OP suggests.  Bulk substrates need to be able to be exposed to non-sterile conditions, something grains such as rye, corn, rice, etc., can not.
RR

So I have to disagree with you avorg  Rye colonizing should be kept sterile always

Edited by Shea25 (11/06/09 09:22 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom