Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Loc: Seattle Flag
So-called patients are hijacking medical marijuana....[CA]
    #11393479 - 11/05/09 07:39 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Novemebr 5th, 2009 - SDNN.com

After 25 years of lower back pain, Los Angeles Times columnist Steve Lopez finally decided to take obvious step No. 1: get a physician’s recommendation for medical marijuana. Last week he took obvious step No. 2: write a column about it in the Times.

Lopez got his recommendation from a physician who advertised “superior professionalism” yet never laid a hand on Lopez. He identified himself as a gynecologist who knows nothing about back pain. He nevertheless charged $150 for no good and valuable service except certifying in writing that “Steve Lopez was evaluated in my office for a medical condition, which in my professional opinion, may benefit from the use of medical marijuana.”

What more do you need to know? The unscrupulous have hijacked the Compassionate Use Act of 1996, California’s medical marijuana law.

Hundreds of physicians run this scam thousands of times a day. Los Angeles alone counts 186 “medical marijuana dispensaries” that have city permits and some 600 more that don’t. Recreational pot users vastly outnumber patients with cancer, glaucoma, AIDS, anorexia, arthritis, migraine or “any chronic or persistent medical symptom that substantially limits a person’s ability to conduct one or more of major life activities as defined in the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.”

Profits from dispensaries can run in the hundreds of thousands. And no way is all that weed from legal sources: The eight ounces of dried marijuana, six mature plants or 12 immature plants allowed qualified patients and primary caregivers who have a state-issued I.D. card. Or the greater amount when it is “consistent with the patient’s needs” as certified by his doctor’s recommendation or when local ordinances allow it.

Dispensaries aren’t mentioned in California’s medical pot law, but no less cool an attorney general than Jerry Brown issued guidelines last year: Legal distribution of medical marijuana does not include walk-in storefront dispensaries whose profits far exceed reasonable expenses and whose sole claim as “caregiver” for hundreds of patients is selling them pot at a tidy profit.

This industry is not what compassionate voters had in mind when they approved Proposition 215. It is not what state law allows. It is also hell-bent on persuading the populace that the purpose of raids by law enforcement on its unlawful establishments are actually the precursor to denying legitimate patients, caregivers and collectives medical marijuana.

That’s why pot devotees and profiteers rejoiced when the Obama Administration announced that federal law enforcement agencies won’t join in raids on dispensaries - the point at which they quit listening and started cheering a step toward full legalization. They ignored the part of the Obama policy that from the start has distinguished between dispensaries that abide by state and local law and dispensaries that don’t.

In fact, without raids to separate the lawful weed from the chaff that piggyback on it and profit from it, the plan to turn public support for medical pot into support for legalizing all pot could suffer. Former mayoral candidate Steve Francis wrote on SDNN the other day of a poll showing that San Diegans don’t want dispensaries in residential neighborhoods or near schools and do want a criminal background check on their proprietors - not good news for some of them.

Still, the crowd that insists the nation needs another legal intoxicant because drivers on pot haven’t killed as many people as drivers on booze - yet — is apoplectic at the Sept. 10 raids. San Diego County District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis is the chosen villain, as though she alone understood Obama’s policy and read Brown’s guidelines on dispensaries.

In fact, the U.S. attorney, the DEA, the IRS, the county sheriff, the San Diego city police and the San Diego Narcotics Task Force joined in raids on 14 dispensaries and six associated residences, all with proper search warrants.

The arrestees and their attorneys will have their chance to argue that the law allows for-profit dispensaries and disallows undercover investigations indicating any dispensary’s willingness to sell pot to whoever comes through the front door, or around to the back.

That kind of convenience store didn’t exist when pot became Boomers’ illicit drug of choice in the ‘60s and ‘70s. But even that wave of haze is overstated. According to Gallup Polls, in 1969, 4 percent of American adults said they had tried - not succumbed to — marijuana; in 1973, 12 percent; in 1977, 24 percent; in 1985, 33 percent; in 1999, 34 percent, including 46 percent of non-Boomers born between 1970 and 1981 and 46 percent of 30- to-49-year-olds, some Boomers, some not.

The “heyday” of the ‘60s wasn’t, Gallup and others conclude.

And however ballyhooed by advocates of legal pot, the vaunted reports last month that older boomers are returning to or “continuing” the pot smoking of yesteryear don’t herald a heyday either. Yes, the percentage of pot-using boomers 50 to 59 years old more than doubled: from 3.1 percent in 2002 to 5.7 percent in 2007, most of them resuming pot use, not continuing it. As most Boomers got jobs and had children, they quit the furtive buys and hazy highs.

And a good thing they did, given “characteristics associated with continued use of illicit drugs” among Boomers found in studies by the federal Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration: “male gender, unmarried status, early age of drug initiation, having low education and income, unemployed due to disability and past-year major depression episode.”

Read more: http://www.sdnn.com/sandiego/2009-11-04/columns/so-called-patients-are-hijacking-medical-marijuana#ixzz0W2jDRBFM

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Re: So-called patients are hijacking medical marijuana....[CA] [Re: Twiztidsage]
    #11393481 - 11/05/09 07:39 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Ick.

Invisiblesenya
Stranger

Re: So-called patients are hijacking medical marijuana....[CA] [Re: Twiztidsage]
    #11394021 - 11/05/09 08:52 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

it was bound to happen this way anyhow. the solution is to completely legalize marijuana.

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Re: So-called patients are hijacking medical marijuana....[CA] [Re: senya]
    #11395208 - 11/06/09 12:05 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

how is this any different than how doctors dole out other prescription drugs?

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

OfflineLucas89
lysergicmescalcybin
Male User Gallery

Loc: USSR
Re: So-called patients are hijacking medical marijuana....[CA] [Re: ScavengerType]
    #11395478 - 11/06/09 01:25 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ScavengerType said:

--------------------

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Re: So-called patients are hijacking medical marijuana....[CA] [Re: ScavengerType]
    #11395582 - 11/06/09 01:58 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ScavengerType said:

It's not. That is a hugely addressed problem as well.

Invisiblesui
I love you.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cali, Contra Costa Co. Flag
    #11395722 - 11/06/09 03:10 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

well this is going to be where the phrase, "any condition for which marijuana provides releif" is going to be tested in court. cali is the only state to have that in its medical pot laws. all the others have severe illness as requisits for qualification.

--------------------

"There is never a wrong note, bend it."
Jimi Hendrix

OfflineScavengerType
Male User Gallery

Loc: The North
Re: So-called patients are hijacking medical marijuana....[CA] [Re: sui]
    #11395794 - 11/06/09 04:05 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

The FDA's requirement for approving a new drug is that it must at least show to be more effective than a placebo. I'm sure pot can beat this standard for what it's being prescribed for.

--------------------
"Have you ever seen what happens when a grenade goes off in a school? Do you really know what you’re doing when you order shock and awe? Are you prepared to kneel beside a dying soldier and tell him why he went to Iraq, or why he went to any war?"
"The things that are done in the name of the shareholder are, to me, as terrifying as the things that are done—dare I say it—in the name of God. Montesquieu said, "There have never been so many civil wars as in the Kingdom of God." And I begin to feel that’s true. The shareholder is the excuse for everything."
- Author and former M6/M5 agent John le Carré on Democracy Now.
Conquer's Club

Invisiblesui
I love you.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cali, Contra Costa Co. Flag
    #11395847 - 11/06/09 04:50 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

oh please pot has proved itself in a lab over and over the only thing keeping it illegal is propaganda.

--------------------

"There is never a wrong note, bend it."
Jimi Hendrix

Invisiblerod
Ψ
 User Gallery

Re: So-called patients are hijacking medical marijuana....[CA] [Re: sui]
    #11396130 - 11/06/09 07:02 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

@Los Angeles Times columnist Steve Lopez.

Dude mind your own business, I go to a Doctor and there are plenty of times
he never touches me, but I need his prescriptions to stay alive ass hole.
Rod

Weed is great for pain, hell I buy hydro for a friend with a bad foot.

Offlinefear.loathingSF
one toke over the line
Male User Gallery

Loc: San Francisco
Re: So-called patients are hijacking medical marijuana....[CA] [Re: rod]
    #11396683 - 11/06/09 09:24 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

i didnt waste my time reading that entire shitty article, but what I want to know is how the system is being hijacked.  Who cares if the doctors are not examining patients closely enough, everyone who needs their medicine gets it.  This system is no different than traditional western medicine.  I know someone who with depression who ate an insane amount of benzos, and what does the doctor do after learning about the incident?  He feels the best course of action is to prescribe a different benzo.

Our system of medicine is fucked up

OfflineHeffy
BrauMeister
 User Gallery

Loc: International Traveller
Re: So-called patients are hijacking medical marijuana....[CA] [Re: fear.loathingSF]
    #11396824 - 11/06/09 09:56 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I think in light of the new evidence showing cannabis prevents brain cancer, all marijuana should be considered medicinal.

Should I wait until I contract brain cancer before starting to use marijuana to cure it?

An ounce of prevention.:gethigh:

--------------------
I am the king of Rome, and above grammar! - Emperor Sigismund

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#11399878 - 11/06/09 05:20 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

ScavengerType said:
The FDA's requirement for approving a new drug is that it must at least show to be more effective than a placebo. I'm sure pot can beat this standard for what it's being prescribed for.

One major issue with smokable MJ is finding an adequate placebo.

The other issue is that if it were held to the standard set by FDA, it wouldn't pass because the adverse event profile would be off the charts when tested in "healthy normals".

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds