Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineyelyarb
Male

Loc: Canada
Weekend thoughts
    #11398195 - 11/06/09 03:19 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Here is something beautiful that made me stop and think. Thank you again, Kahlil Gibran.

"My soul preached to me and showed me that I am neither more than the pigmy, nor less than the giant.
Ere my soul preached to me, I looked upon humanity as two men: one weak, whom I pitied, and the other strong, whom I followed or resisted in defiance.
But now I have learned that I was as both are and made from the same elements. My origin is their origin, my conscience is their conscience, my contention is their contention, and my pilgrimage is their pilgrimage.
If they sin, I am also a sinner. If they do well, I take pride in their well-doing. If they rise, I rise with them. If they stay inert, I share their slothfulness."

:strokebeard:

I wish everyone an opportunity this weekend to witness someone or something else as themselves. What an experience! What does this passage mean to you?

Have a great weekend!

yelyarb

--------------------
:bliss:

It's the same thing.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineXeny

Loc: Berchem Flag
Re: Weekend thoughts [Re: yelyarb]
    #11405213 - 11/07/09 04:06 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

It means i am a particle of myself

--------------------
Ik hou van je

While you're still sleeping the saints are still weepin' cause things you call dead haven't yet had the chance to be born. -Scatman John

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

Re: Weekend thoughts [Re: Xeny]
    #11407564 - 11/07/09 10:15 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

It doesnt make heaps of sense to me... it seems like he is much a giant or little man as he is any person.. but the degree to which they are 'like' or 'the same' has to do with their degree of similarity.
If pigme and Giant are both human being then yeah the differences between them are probably pretty small

but the passage really doesnt move me at all... there seems to be no moral

Other than to embrace things that are different in certain ways?

--------------------

Offlineyelyarb
Male

Re: Weekend thoughts [Re: Noteworthy]
    #11419819 - 11/09/09 05:32 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I think the moral could be the collective responsibility of community, or simply merging all the parts of yourself ("good" and "bad", "small" and "big") into a whole.

I think the giant and pygmy represent extremes of judgement. It seems counterproductive to judge something if we want to understand it. We might need to allow something to be as it is before we can begin know what it is.

Can we ever look at something without judgement? I have not experienced this, but once judgments have been given their time, and quieted, we might be able to enjoy the world as it is.

The easiest way I know to turn an enemy into a friend is to look deep inside him, and find yourself. When we see something as ourself, how can we not feel its sorrow and joy, "success" and "failure" as our own?

Thanks for your thoughts man!

--------------------

It's the same thing.

OfflineXeny

Loc: Berchem Flag
Re: Weekend thoughts [Re: yelyarb]
    #11425815 - 11/10/09 02:14 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Isn't the world exactly what you think or make of it?
Isn't everything subjective and merely a critized and judged perception?

--------------------
Ik hou van je

While you're still sleeping the saints are still weepin' cause things you call dead haven't yet had the chance to be born. -Scatman John

Offlineyelyarb
Male

Re: Weekend thoughts [Re: Xeny]
    #11431126 - 11/11/09 05:20 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I'm not sure. It seems to me that there is a shared "essential nature" among all manifest things. The forms may be different, but it seems the ground or root of every"thing", is nothing.

I think perception allows us to choose how we experience what "is". I do not know that I change the nature of anything outside myself, but it seems I can easily choose what to think and feel about it all, and how to act.

I find myself agreeing with you, but at the same time, I think we're missing a piece of the puzzle. Is it possible that there is an essential nature, specific forms, and yet all things are simultaneously subject to our perception?

This reminds me of a story I read about a painting called the Vinegar Tasters, http://www.taoism.net/sanctuary/books/vintaste.htm ;
from the Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff.

:grin:

--------------------

It's the same thing.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology