Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinewithsoy
Stranger
Can I get some opinions on this?
    #11398072 - 11/06/09 03:02 PM (8 years, 19 days ago)

Long story short a friend handed over 4 cakes still inside their jars, never opened. The cakes were dried out and somewhat shriveled. I assumed either that one the cakes could be rejuvenated since the had not been dried out for realistically that long or two they were dead.

Someone on this sight suggested I dunk them for 36 hours.

I dunked them for 24 hours in a pot of room temperature water.

Not more that 20 minutes ago I removed the cakes from the pot at 24 hours, removed the plate holding them down and placed 2 cakes inside of a bait bucket I cleaned out (the bait bucket has layers of moist/wet paper towels on the bottom [my substitute for perlite]). I taped up all but four holes on the bait bucket lid. When I closed the lid to the bait bucket I placed another moist paper towel between the closed lid and the seal where the lid touches. I drilled 5 holes in the bottom of the bucket and raised the bucket on 3 water bottle caps so air can pass under the bucket.

I then took 1 cake and crumbled it inside of a ziplock bag. I took the crumbles and placed it into a tuperware bowl that had a thin layer of vermiculite that was scraped off the top of the cakes when I had removed them from the jars. The vermiculite layer had some water added to it and I spread the crumbles evenly through out the small tuperware bowl. I then placed a sheet of tin foil over the opening.

The last cake (4th one) I simply tossed into the ziplock bag I used to crumble the 3rd cake and left it in their. I'm thinking that it could possibly grow in the bag.

In my closet I placed all three growing set ups on the top shelf closest to my 120v normal everyday light bulb.

This was the best I could do with what I have.

any suggestions or tips could help. I don't even know if these cakes will grow. The ones in the bait bucket are like an inch away from each other and I set them onto tin foil sheets so their not touching the wet paper towels.

Edited by withsoy (11/06/09 03:04 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleprismism

Re: Can I get some opinions of this? [Re: withsoy]
    #11398096 - 11/06/09 03:06 PM (8 years, 19 days ago)

you should have placed all of the cakes in a simple fruiting chamber with holes. damp paper towels is the worst possible way to provide humidity. you will need to replace the dry paper towels like every few hours to keep humidity even remotely high.

--------------------
ephemeral anomalous

Offlinewithsoy
Stranger
Re: Can I get some opinions of this? [Re: prismism]
    #11398105 - 11/06/09 03:07 PM (8 years, 19 days ago)

whats your opinion on the other two methods I used?

Invisiblefeelfunny
I am you
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: South
Re: Can I get some opinions of this? [Re: prismism]
    #11398121 - 11/06/09 03:09 PM (8 years, 19 days ago)

Quote:

prismism said:
you should have placed all of the cakes in a simple fruiting chamber with holes. damp paper towels is the worst possible way to provide humidity. you will need to replace the dry paper towels like every few hours to keep humidity even remotely high.

:thumbup:

zip lock bag is not going to get enough air and you would need perlite in the bottm of the bag to keep RH up

--------------------
IF A CAT AND DOG CAN GET ALONG WHY CANT EVERYONE ELSE?
If the sky is falling, don't look up!  :abduction:

Feel Family Founder. :pm: me if you are tired of hearing, "Use the search function".

Offlinekingsmountainview
Sultan
Male

Loc: se.us
Re: Can I get some opinions on this? [Re: withsoy]
    #11398160 - 11/06/09 03:15 PM (8 years, 19 days ago)

they'll probably grow if you take care of them. Paper towels can harbor contams so go to Home Depot and get you some Perlite. A small bag is like $3-4. And while you're there get a 15w Daylight spetrum CFL bulb. A regular incandescent bulb puts out light mainly in the red spectrum (not to mention a 120w puts off alot of heat) cakes need blue spectrum light to pin so look for a CFL with a color temp of ~6000K, most will be labeled something like "natural sunlight/daylight" That's what you want. Brighter isn't truly better either, the mushrooms don't get any energy from the light, it simply tells them when it's time and in what direction they should grow.

--------------------
Toxic/Hallucinogenic spores are for microscopy purposes, all posts regarding their cultivation fall under one of three categories: 1) hypothetical scenario 2) complete bullshit 3) complete hypothetical bullshit. Any questions?

OfflineWildRover
On and off again
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE USA
Re: Can I get some opinions of this? [Re: feelfunny]
    #11398165 - 11/06/09 03:15 PM (8 years, 19 days ago)

Paper towels will also probably be a nightmare for contamination. You may want to consider a dilute bleach or H2O2 solution instead of plain water. Perlite is awesome because it has lots of surface area like this:
(from RR's Shotgun FAQ)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation