Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJointsNRoaches
Stranger
Easiest growing method/other newbie stuff.
    #11396343 - 11/06/09 07:58 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hi all, this is my first post on the board so far, please bare with me if any of the following has been covered.

I saw the following grow guide on the site a few days ago and would love to give it a try. My only problem is I feel a little bit unsure as I know nothing about growing shrooms and havent even eaten any yet. I was just wondering if there was anything online that will talk me thru harvesting the shrooms and preparing them for consumption or just something that will explain all of the terms related to cultivation. Also any tips on the grow would be really appreciated. Im thinking of getting a syringe sent over from europe and growing using this method:

Cyber's Cheep CD-Spendle Grow Tek

Thanks in advance
Js&Rs

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Loc: Westcoast Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Easiest growing method/other newbie stuff. [Re: JointsNRoaches]
    #11396360 - 11/06/09 08:02 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.mushroomvideos.com/

Watch all the BRF Tek videos

InvisibleLeopardMan
Constantly changing
Male

Loc: A tree house
Trusted Cultivator
    #11396369 - 11/06/09 08:05 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

--------------------

You have to die a few times before you can really live.

-Charles Bukowski-

OfflineJointsNRoaches
Stranger
Re: Easiest growing method/other newbie stuff. [Re: LeopardMan]
    #11396405 - 11/06/09 08:16 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

thanks for the quick replies. Having a look through now.

Invisibleprismism
 User Gallery

#11396531 - 11/06/09 08:47 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

why are you having the spores sent over from europe? where do you reside?
i suggest that you do not use the cd spindle grow tek. im not bashing that tek.. because it does work..but it is very unnecessary and it would be easier if you just grow the cakes and then birth them into a fruiting chamber. instead of crumbling them and casing..which is what the spindle tek basically is.

--------------------
ephemeral anomalous

OfflineJointsNRoaches
Stranger
Re: Easiest growing method/other newbie stuff. [Re: prismism]
    #11396981 - 11/06/09 10:28 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

prismism said:
why are you having the spores sent over from europe? where do you reside?
i suggest that you do not use the cd spindle grow tek. im not bashing that tek.. because it does work..but it is very unnecessary and it would be easier if you just grow the cakes and then birth them into a fruiting chamber. instead of crumbling them and casing..which is what the spindle tek basically is.

This is exactly why i need help haha. I live in Perth, Australia and assumed that like weed id need to get the stuff i need sent over from somewhere else where its either legal or the laws are lax and spores are easy to obtain.

Also, the reason iv chosen this method is because it sounds really easy. I know nothing about fruting chambers or anything else you just mentioned so everything else seems alien to me haha

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

Loc: Reykjavik
    #11397037 - 11/06/09 10:39 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Click This and This as suggested by Shea in an above post. .. easy, cheap, beginner friendly standard.

--------------------

Offlinekydelic
Stranger
Male

Re: Easiest growing method/other newbie stuff. [Re: Herbal_Elixer]
    #11397405 - 11/06/09 11:38 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

PF tek takes a ton of materials that most people just don't have laying aroun (pressure cooker, mason jars, etc.). For a similar amount of money (or less) but much better yields, and with much more ease, you can grow in a mycobag and let it colonize, then put it in some already pasteurized coir (you only need hot water), and then split them into trays sitting on perlite in a monotub. Or, if you want to try true bulk, dump in your newly mixed sub and spawn (1:3 ratio or so), make sure you've got at least a 4" depth of substrate if you're going that route. If using the trays, fill them to the top.

--------------------
http://flickr.com/photos/mycography - A collection of my fungal photography

Invisibleeatyualive
Eat's You Alive :)
 User Gallery

Loc: In Your Head
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Easiest growing method/other newbie stuff. [Re: kydelic]
    #11397412 - 11/06/09 11:39 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

the pf tek!

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

:flame::chief:JOIN THE POW WOW:chief::flame:

InvisiblePolk_Audio3
Moon Cricket
Male User Gallery

Loc: Amsterdam
Re: Easiest growing method/other newbie stuff. [Re: Shea25]
    #11397417 - 11/06/09 11:39 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Shea25 said:
http://www.mushroomvideos.com/

Watch all the BRF Tek videos

:thumbup: you can't go wrong

--------------------

Invisibleprismism
 User Gallery

#11397447 - 11/06/09 11:43 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

kydelic said:
PF tek takes a ton of materials that most people just don't have laying aroun (pressure cooker, mason jars, etc.). For a similar amount of money (or less) but much better yields, and with much more ease, you can grow in a mycobag and let it colonize, then put it in some already pasteurized coir (you only need hot water), and then split them into trays sitting on perlite in a monotub. Or, if you want to try true bulk, dump in your newly mixed sub and spawn (1:3 ratio or so), make sure you've got at least a 4" depth of substrate if you're going that route. If using the trays, fill them to the top.

you do not need a pressure cooker when doing the pf tek.

--------------------
ephemeral anomalous

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

#11397483 - 11/06/09 11:47 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

prismism said:
you do not need a pressure cooker when doing the pf tek.

You know I keep seeing people make comments about needing to PC for the PF TEK.. so I just have to second what prisism said.. it does need to be PC'd.. and is very cheap to do.. with a high success rate and lots of support from many experienced growers along the way.. perfect for a noob grower in all aspects.

--------------------

Offlinekydelic
Stranger
Male

#11397493 - 11/06/09 11:49 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

From all the threads I've read, it's pretty damn necessary...sterilizing through boiling I've read isn't always the best. Whether or not you need them, the yields aren't really worth the money you'll spend anyways. I think it's a more personal thing, but the pf tek isn't the end-all be-all for beginners. The people I know that grow or have grown all started their own ways, not with the pf tek. It is good for practice working with jars if you can find them, but in some areas jars are a bitch to find (and expensive).

One friend of mine is on a first grow with a method I actually advocate a lot, and he's on his 5th flush. He made a bunch of noob mistakes and had some funny incidents, so while his overall wet weight was pretty good (I think he's up to 400 grams right now) it easily could've been better. I like to learn through his grows too (plus I do a lot more reading and am more interested in the science of the hobby) since I can't grow in my apartment (roommates, nosy landlords, all that) and I'd rather not risk it in such a public place.

--------------------

Edited by kydelic (11/06/09 11:51 AM)

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

#11397609 - 11/06/09 12:03 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Click Here for all the Mitre 10 Hardware shops in Perth, Australia that carry mason jars:

--------------------

Invisibleprismism
 User Gallery

#11398056 - 11/06/09 12:59 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

kydelic said:
From all the threads I've read, it's pretty damn necessary...sterilizing through boiling I've read isn't always the best. Whether or not you need them, the yields aren't really worth the money you'll spend anyways. I think it's a more personal thing, but the pf tek isn't the end-all be-all for beginners. The people I know that grow or have grown all started their own ways, not with the pf tek. It is good for practice working with jars if you can find them, but in some areas jars are a bitch to find (and expensive).

One friend of mine is on a first grow with a method I actually advocate a lot, and he's on his 5th flush. He made a bunch of noob mistakes and had some funny incidents, so while his overall wet weight was pretty good (I think he's up to 400 grams right now) it easily could've been better. I like to learn through his grows too (plus I do a lot more reading and am more interested in the science of the hobby) since I can't grow in my apartment (roommates, nosy landlords, all that) and I'd rather not risk it in such a public place.

what ways and methods are you talking about? so far all you have done is bash the pf tek and say that your friends can grow 400 grams of mushrooms with a method you choose not to mention.

--------------------
ephemeral anomalous

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

#11398129 - 11/06/09 01:10 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

kydelic said:
.. you can grow in a mycobag and let it colonize, then put it in some already pasteurized coir (you only need hot water), and then split them into trays sitting on perlite in a monotub. Or, if you want to try true bulk, dump in your newly mixed sub and spawn (1:3 ratio or so), make sure you've got at least a 4" depth of substrate if you're going that route. If using the trays, fill them to the top.

I think this is it.. honestly.. just ordering a set of bags in itself has placed you in the PF TEK cost range already.. plus trays.. bulk.. perlite.. etc.. I do not see the ease here in contrast. I am positive it works.. but again, I do not see how this is easier, or more cost effective..

--------------------

Offlinekydelic
Stranger
Male

Re: Easiest growing method/other newbie stuff. [Re: Herbal_Elixer]
    #11398470 - 11/06/09 01:50 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

so far all you have done is bash the pf tek and say that your friends can grow 400 grams of mushrooms with a method you choose not to mention.

I've posted it in other threads. I never bashed it, unless pointing out some of the cons of pf tek is really bashing. In fact, I even said, numerous times, that if you've got the materials and aren't worried about huge yields, pf tek is fine because it gives good practice on working with jars. Relax. In another thread, I listed out all the pros and cons as I saw them between brf,

The number is actually up at 450 wet now. I already gave a good rundown on what you have to do for this method, but haven't gotten around to writing a tek for it. It was just formulated to fit the grower's needs. Basically colonize a mycobag, spawn it to pasteurized coir (the tek is on here) at about a 1:3 or 1:4 ratio, separate into cheap foil trays, set them on a layer (or, ideally above it) of perlite in a monotub-style FC. Optionally when setting up the trays, dust some of the colonized substrate over the top of the mixture, it just makes recolonization a bit quicker.

Much easier and much better yields than the pf tek. The 450 comes from 3 of these trays in the same fruiting chamber. I've known people using pf tek and only getting a few grams (dry) per flush with the cakes, it seems like coir is more flexible and hardy.

Quote:

I think this is it.. honestly.. just ordering a set of bags in itself has placed you in the PF TEK cost range already.. plus trays.. bulk.. perlite.. etc

1 bag or 2 is about 20 dollars, coir can be gotten for 2 bucks a brick, and the other stuff (perlite, tub for FC, etc.) is also needed for the pf tek so there isn't any difference there. On the other hand, brf can be difficult to find (along with verm) depending on your area, and quite expensive by themselves. Even excluding the pressure cooker, there are savings right there, and the savings are much higher considering the higher yields you can get. 450 grams wet is enough to satisfy the grower, myself, and a few people for a while. When I don't have exams coming up, I'll try and make a formal tek for it.

Every method is workable, it just depends on what you have. What is more important to this hobby is knowing how things work, so you can tinker with various teks to find what's right for you, and that's the point I was really trying to make. It is hardly impossible to start straight to bulk either, but I think it should wait until you have isolated some of your own spores so you'll have more fruits.

--------------------

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #11398501 - 11/06/09 01:55 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Well, if you have or can get a PC, then sure... skip cakes and go right to grains or whatever. Sky's the limit.
But without a PC or if you want to try a proven, standard, reliable* tek go with PF Tek.

*Not that coir isn't all of those things too.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Offlinekydelic
Stranger
Male

Re: Easiest growing method/other newbie stuff. [Re: Doc_T]
    #11398562 - 11/06/09 02:07 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

All I'm saying is that coir is just as good as pf tek, and noobs don't HAVE to start with pftek to be successful, that's all :shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleHerbal_Elixer
Strangerest
 User Gallery

#11398667 - 11/06/09 02:19 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I started bulk.. and I agree it works to sway away from PF.. but if your coming in blank to the scene.. and for cost effectiveness etc.. I have seen success story after success story for the PF TEK. Like in my other post.. for the ease of having so much info and support, I think it's the way to start. You bring up a good point about material availability.. that is important too. You also see the sclerotia grows are being advertised as a newb method.. but until more support is available and TEK's are defined (I admit it is seemingly easy) .. I just would push the known success TEK first. I, nor Doc, is knocking your advice, at all. But, being able to start a known TEK, come on here and do a search for/ask a random question about it and get immediate support is pretty important.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom