Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePiznipyPsilocybe
Stranger

Eating "contaminated" mushrooms
    #11396903 - 11/06/09 12:14 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

OK, this is my first time growing although I have already been through too many flushes to count without a hitch.  :smile:

I had this cake that grew all the way until the bottom of the jar and I spotted some yellow. :shocked:

Right away I took the cake out to throw it away and scraped the yellow portion into the trash.  The cake looked so healthy it was a shame to see it go to waste.  So I did an experiment,  I put it into my orchid terrarium and buried it a little bit to see if the mycelium would colonize the soil.  It definitely did but then almost overnight I see HUNDREDS of perfect mushrooms come up.  They seem so healthy,  almost more healthy than the ones in the dinky pearlite terrarium. 

At first I was thinking of just using these ones for spore prints, throwing at friends, decorating the walls etc.....  but looking at these and considering I might flip a hippy this weekend,  I am thoroughly tempted to cut em. 

Now I think I remember reading (I believe it was stamets,  all praise stamets:mushroom2:)  that you can boil the mushrooms for 5 minutes to sanitize them and not lose the chemicals.  Supposing the mushrooms look healthy and I boil them,  good times ahead?  Please hurry,  the time I would do this is tomorrow. . .

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePiznipyPsilocybe
Stranger

Re: Eating "contaminated" mushrooms [Re: PiznipyPsilocybe]
    #11396941 - 11/06/09 12:22 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

oh and I will put up pictures once they are cut.

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
Re: Eating "contaminated" mushrooms [Re: PiznipyPsilocybe]
    #11397988 - 11/06/09 02:50 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Unless your terrarium is full of nasty chemicals, then your mushrooms are fine to eat. Seems weird that you crumbled a spent cake into orchid soil and it colonized that quickly.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Eating "contaminated" mushrooms [Re: Brennus]
    #11410118 - 11/08/09 11:19 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I had this cake that grew all the way until the bottom of the jar and I spotted some yellow. :shocked:

Probably just metabolites.  If it had been contaminated with one of the yellow molds, it wouldn't have recovered and fruited.

However, bottom line, if the fruits are healthy, they're fine to eat.  A contaminated substrate does not translate into contaminated fruits.  All substrates in nature are 'contaminated' with other molds and bacteria.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineMa Fen
hobbyist

Re: Eating "contaminated" mushrooms [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #11410281 - 11/08/09 12:00 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

Probably just metabolites.  If it had been contaminated with one of the yellow molds, it wouldn't have recovered and fruited.

However, bottom line, if the fruits are healthy, they're fine to eat.  A contaminated substrate does not translate into contaminated fruits.  All substrates in nature are 'contaminated' with other molds and bacteria.
RR

WORD! if you ever see an established bed of cubes, trichoderma is never far away. im sure there are other less colorful one there but trich is so distinguishable...

OfflineElectroNaut v1
Stranger

Re: Eating "contaminated" mushrooms [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #12531457 - 05/09/10 02:03 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

RR

Bringing up this thread because I have a Q. I've done 4 cakes and they're fruiting. The fruits look healthy, although theres not many. The cakes look fine but the tub just smells kinda weird when i open it. If there is a bacterial infection causing the smell... would the mushrooms still be safe to eat? I think remember reading that eating mushrooms with bacteria can cause food poisoning and I wouldn't want to risk that.

The smell is kinda strange... it's not a regular, light mushroomy smell and is more musty and unpleasant.

"However, bottom line, if the fruits are healthy, they're fine to eat."

They look fine... so am I good d'ya think? Thanks anybody who replies. :grin:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum