Home | Community | Message Board


Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePiznipyPsilocybe
Stranger

Registered: 10/29/09
Posts: 5
Last seen: 7 years, 11 months
Eating "contaminated" mushrooms
    #11396903 - 11/06/09 12:14 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

OK, this is my first time growing although I have already been through too many flushes to count without a hitch.  :smile:

I had this cake that grew all the way until the bottom of the jar and I spotted some yellow. :shocked:

Right away I took the cake out to throw it away and scraped the yellow portion into the trash.  The cake looked so healthy it was a shame to see it go to waste.  So I did an experiment,  I put it into my orchid terrarium and buried it a little bit to see if the mycelium would colonize the soil.  It definitely did but then almost overnight I see HUNDREDS of perfect mushrooms come up.  They seem so healthy,  almost more healthy than the ones in the dinky pearlite terrarium. 

At first I was thinking of just using these ones for spore prints, throwing at friends, decorating the walls etc.....  but looking at these and considering I might flip a hippy this weekend,  I am thoroughly tempted to cut em. 

Now I think I remember reading (I believe it was stamets,  all praise stamets:mushroom2:)  that you can boil the mushrooms for 5 minutes to sanitize them and not lose the chemicals.  Supposing the mushrooms look healthy and I boil them,  good times ahead?  Please hurry,  the time I would do this is tomorrow. . .


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePiznipyPsilocybe
Stranger

Registered: 10/29/09
Posts: 5
Last seen: 7 years, 11 months
Re: Eating "contaminated" mushrooms [Re: PiznipyPsilocybe]
    #11396941 - 11/06/09 12:22 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

oh and I will put up pictures once they are cut.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery


Registered: 05/31/08
Posts: 3,297
Loc: SE United States Flag
Last seen: 5 days, 11 hours
Re: Eating "contaminated" mushrooms [Re: PiznipyPsilocybe]
    #11397988 - 11/06/09 02:50 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Unless your terrarium is full of nasty chemicals, then your mushrooms are fine to eat. Seems weird that you crumbled a spent cake into orchid soil and it colonized that quickly.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery


Registered: 03/26/03
Posts: 42,018
Loc: USA Mountain Northwest
Last seen: 22 days, 19 hours
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Eating "contaminated" mushrooms [Re: Brennus]
    #11410118 - 11/08/09 11:19 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I had this cake that grew all the way until the bottom of the jar and I spotted some yellow. :shocked:




Probably just metabolites.  If it had been contaminated with one of the yellow molds, it wouldn't have recovered and fruited.

However, bottom line, if the fruits are healthy, they're fine to eat.  A contaminated substrate does not translate into contaminated fruits.  All substrates in nature are 'contaminated' with other molds and bacteria.
RR


--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms



semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMa Fen
hobbyist

Registered: 08/26/09
Posts: 106
Last seen: 7 years, 7 months
Re: Eating "contaminated" mushrooms [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #11410281 - 11/08/09 12:00 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

I had this cake that grew all the way until the bottom of the jar and I spotted some yellow. :shocked:




Probably just metabolites.  If it had been contaminated with one of the yellow molds, it wouldn't have recovered and fruited.

However, bottom line, if the fruits are healthy, they're fine to eat.  A contaminated substrate does not translate into contaminated fruits.  All substrates in nature are 'contaminated' with other molds and bacteria.
RR





WORD! if you ever see an established bed of cubes, trichoderma is never far away. im sure there are other less colorful one there but trich is so distinguishable...


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineElectroNaut v1
Stranger

Registered: 01/15/10
Posts: 12
Last seen: 7 years, 5 months
Re: Eating "contaminated" mushrooms [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #12531457 - 05/09/10 02:03 PM (7 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

I had this cake that grew all the way until the bottom of the jar and I spotted some yellow. :shocked:




Probably just metabolites.  If it had been contaminated with one of the yellow molds, it wouldn't have recovered and fruited.

However, bottom line, if the fruits are healthy, they're fine to eat.  A contaminated substrate does not translate into contaminated fruits.  All substrates in nature are 'contaminated' with other molds and bacteria.
RR




Bringing up this thread because I have a Q. I've done 4 cakes and they're fruiting. The fruits look healthy, although theres not many. The cakes look fine but the tub just smells kinda weird when i open it. If there is a bacterial infection causing the smell... would the mushrooms still be safe to eat? I think remember reading that eating mushrooms with bacteria can cause food poisoning and I wouldn't want to risk that.

The smell is kinda strange... it's not a regular, light mushroomy smell and is more musty and unpleasant.

"However, bottom line, if the fruits are healthy, they're fine to eat."

They look fine... so am I good d'ya think? Thanks anybody who replies. :grin:


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Eating Contaminated Shrooms? DOONEY 9,508 6 01/29/02 11:57 AM
by Seuss
* Eating "bad" mushrooms? m_djbliss 20,861 6 09/23/07 01:38 PM
by m_djbliss
* spores from contaminated mushrooms? shroomster101 1,402 2 04/29/07 10:24 PM
by RogerRabbit
* Consequences of eating contamined mushies ? michaz 1,244 2 09/17/02 07:44 PM
by 1stimer
* Is it true a contaminated mushroom will kill you after tripping? AtomicShroom98 4,321 9 12/31/06 02:26 PM
by Brainiac
* Weird looking purple/pink "contamination" what am I looking at? 3rd Casing has it now! andrewss 3,341 11 04/23/08 07:03 PM
by Tomandjerry58
* actual risk of eating shrooms from a contaminated substrate jmg5 5,494 6 02/24/06 11:49 AM
by MAIA
* can contamination actually kill you? *DELETED* spock1 2,213 9 04/30/07 11:03 AM
by RogerRabbit

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: RogerRabbit, cronicr, Tmethyl, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta
2,461 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 0 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Toggle Favorite | Print Topic | Stats ]
Search this thread:
Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Copyright 1997-2017 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.022 seconds spending 0.004 seconds on 16 queries.