Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekagaos
Stranger
Minnesota ID request....yes, I'm NEW! :)
    #11392516 - 11/05/09 05:28 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hi guys, I'm new here, found out about this site from grasscity. So anyways, I found this mushroom while trapping today and decided to see if it was any good to eat (psychoactive). Let me know if you guys need any other info! (Working on getting the print as we speak).

Habitat:
Found this near a stream running into a river. The stream was quite full of dead wood but I found this in some mucky river mud near dead wood.

Gills:
I'm not 100% sure what gills are but I assume they are the fin type things on the under side of the head of the shroom. So if that is the case, they are brown in color. Not sure what "attached" means but if it means they are attached to the head, then yes they are. I am working on the spore print as we speak (bear with me).

Stem:
Length: 3.5cm,
Diameter: roughly 1cm,
Color: Silvery whiteish, goldeny. :P Its shiny like silver with a hint of gold but is predominatly white toward the top and darker towards the bottom.
Texture: Smooth,
Hollow/Solid: Hollow,
Thin/Thick: I would say more thin.

Cap:
Diameter: Roughly 5cm
Color: Brown
Texture: Feels kind of rough and has a rough spot in the center of head, which is comprised of little, slightly raised black spots.
Conical/Spherical: More spherical
Convex/Concave: Seems mostly flat but I would say convex.
Spore print color:
Very important!

Bruising:
No apparent color change after damage. The gills may have gotten darker but I assume that's typical.

Other information:
There is no major scent. It is just slightly aromatic if you smell it really close up. Don't really have anything to compare it to.

I realize the pics kinda suck but it's from my camera phone and unfortunately it's the only on I have.
PICS:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
Re: Minnesota ID request....yes, I'm NEW! :) [Re: kagaos]
    #11392558 - 11/05/09 05:35 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Welcome to the Shroomery.  Unfortunately I have no idea what that mushroom is.  Sorry.

--------------------

Offlinekagaos
Stranger
    #11392761 - 11/05/09 06:02 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks! :smile:
Yeah I am quite clueless myself, of course I have no idea what I'm talking about in this area so...
Anyone else have any idea?

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Loc: Seattle Flag
    #11392993 - 11/05/09 06:29 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Not likely to be active.

Keep up the hunting and as Mr. Mushrooms said, welcome to The Shroomery!!!

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Re: Minnesota ID request....yes, I'm NEW! :) [Re: Twiztidsage]
    #11393016 - 11/05/09 06:32 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Look up Gymnopilus, and Panaeolus cinctulus. They are probably all you will find that grow in your state.

I strongly suggest learning anything you can about all mushrooms though, active or not.

Offlinekagaos
Stranger
    #11393265 - 11/05/09 07:05 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Twiztidsage said:
Not likely to be active.

Keep up the hunting and as Mr. Mushrooms said, welcome to The Shroomery!!!

Aaah man :frown: I was looking forward to tripping tonight...I guess it was just wishful thinking :P
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Quote:

Twiztidsage said:
Look up Gymnopilus, and Panaeolus cinctulus. They are probably all you will find that grow in your state.

I strongly suggest learning anything you can about all mushrooms though, active or not.

I think I've seen some of those Gymnopilus around. Are they the really big ones with like 4+inch heads?
Sound advice! This is the start of my journey to mental (learning about shrooms) and spiritual (taking shrooms) enlightenment!

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

#11393375 - 11/05/09 07:24 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Gymnopilus are fairly large cpmpared to many psilocybin mushrooms, but I have never picked them. There should be plenty of pics on this site as well as many others.

Do a bunch of research before eating anything, especially with rusty brown spores. Galerina sp. can be confused for gyms to the untrained, and may be deadly.

Offlinekagaos
Stranger
    #11393539 - 11/05/09 07:45 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Do a bunch of research before eating anything, especially with rusty brown spores. Galerina sp. can be confused for gyms to the untrained, and may be deadly.

Sound advice...I've heard too many stories of people eating some mushroom, experiencing excruciating pain and ending up needing a new liver to eat anything without your guy's approval.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #11393562 - 11/05/09 07:48 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

You found an Agaricus.

If it smells good it would be a nice addition to dinner.  If it smells like ink it will make you throw up.  If it smells somewhere in between ink and good, you are on your own.

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
Re: Minnesota ID request....yes, I'm NEW! :) [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #11393574 - 11/05/09 07:50 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

If it smells somewhere in between ink and good, you are on your own.

that's the tough part.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

Offlinekagaos
Stranger
    #11393624 - 11/05/09 07:56 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
You found an Agaricus.

If it smells good it would be a nice addition to dinner.  If it smells like ink it will make you throw up.  If it smells somewhere in between ink and good, you are on your own.

Could you indentify the family?
With all due respect, the images I found for Agaricus don't quite seem to fit the shroom I have. This is probably due to the fact that I don't know the family, however.
Also, I can't really be sure of the smell, I suppose it kind of smells inky. But I'm not entirely sure what ink smells like :laugh: However, I can say for sure it doesn't smell bad...it just smells "fresh." I can't really think of a better adjective.

Offlinekagaos
Stranger
    #11393646 - 11/05/09 07:59 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Oh boy, the results are in! The spore print is dark brown/black!

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #11393739 - 11/05/09 08:13 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

The family is Agaricaceae.

Quote:

With all due respect, the images I found for Agaricus don't quite seem to fit the shroom I have.

Two things make me think its Agaricus:

1) The gills are chocolate brown
2) The gills are not broken where the stem broke away, strongly implying that the gills were not attached to the stem.

The only mushrooms that have gills that are chocolate brown and not attached to the stem are Agaricus.

But if you have a better theory I would like to hear it.

Quote:

Also, I can't really be sure of the smell, I suppose it kind of smells inky. But I'm not entirely sure what ink smells like :laugh: However, I can say for sure it doesn't smell bad...it just smells "fresh." I can't really think of a better adjective.

You could put it in a hot frying pan and see if it starts smelling worse.  Toxic Agaricus smell really bad when you heat them up.

But these pictures aren't really good enough to be eating the mushroom based on them.

Pick a few more from the same spot and take some better pictures, and pay attention to the staining where the mushroom is damaged, if it does that.

Offlinekagaos
Stranger
    #11393812 - 11/05/09 08:23 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:
Quote:

The family is Agaricaceae.

Quote:

With all due respect, the images I found for Agaricus don't quite seem to fit the shroom I have.

Two things make me think its Agaricus:

1) The gills are chocolate brown
2) The gills are not broken where the stem broke away, strongly implying that the gills were not attached to the stem.

The only mushrooms that have gills that are chocolate brown and not attached to the stem are Agaricus.

But if you have a better theory I would like to hear it.

Quote:

You could put it in a hot frying pan and see if it starts smelling worse.  Toxic Agaricus smell really bad when you heat them up.

But these pictures aren't really good enough to be eating the mushroom based on them.

Pick a few more from the same spot and take some better pictures, and pay attention to the staining where the mushroom is damaged, if it does that.

Thank you so much for the thorough reply!
I went to this page and looked at all the species on there (near bottom) and couldn't find one that looked like mine. Which makes me think that it might not be agaricus. Maybe mine is just a mutant? :smile:
I guess my best bet is to just do as you said, fry them. I will give that a shot tomorrow.
Hopefully I will be able to find the place where I found this little guy and see if I can get a better shot. I will keep you all posted.
Thanks again for all of your guy's helpful replies!

Offlinetangoking
Lover of Boletes
 User Gallery

Loc: New Jersey, USA
    #11393853 - 11/05/09 08:28 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:

They're not really plentiful enough either. Is it really worth any risk at all for one scraggly mushroom? I usually don't bother unless there's at least a good sized bunch. Enough for at least three meals.

--------------------
Smurfette artwork reference:
https://www.guyhepner.com/product/smurfette-with-flowers-by-herr-nilsson/

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #11394096 - 11/05/09 09:01 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I went to this page and looked at all the species on there (near bottom) and couldn't find one that looked like mine. Which makes me think that it might not be agaricus. Maybe mine is just a mutant? :smile:
I guess my best bet is to just do as you said, fry them. I will give that a shot tomorrow.

If you don't think its Agaricus you shouldn't eat them.  Its ok to fry them, of course.

You shouldn't eat something because some idiot on the internet says so.

I am wrong at least once a day.  Usually no one notices though.  People notice about once a week.

Offlinekagaos
Stranger

#11397401 - 11/06/09 11:37 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

If you don't think its Agaricus you shouldn't eat them.  Its ok to fry them, of course.

I am wrong at least once a day.  Usually no one notices though.  People notice about once a week.

Haha, well looks to me like you're no idiot!
This may be a dumb question but if I ate just a very small peice (like the size of a pencil eraser or smaller) and the mushroom happened to be toxic, would that hurt me? I mean, what's the minimum amount of a toxic mushroom you would need to eat to get the toxic effects?
Note* I have not and do not plan to do the above. Unless of course you guys say it would be ok, which you haven't and I doubt you will so no worries there.

InvisibleMr. Mushrooms
Spore Print Collector
 User Gallery

Loc: Registered: 6/04/02
    #11400359 - 11/06/09 06:51 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:

I notice.  I just don't say anything.  j/k

Nice post.  Honesty is a rarity today.  Nice ID work too.  I missed the free gills due to photo fuzziness.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom