Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Gypsum, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedutc2006
Experimenter
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Stalled tray? Maybe too dry?
    #11393349 - 11/05/09 09:20 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I am wondering what I should do with this tray.

It has been colonizing in the incubator for 11 days now and seems to be stalled out.  It hasn't really colonized any more than what it looked like several days ago.  It appears to be free of contams and smells good.  It is a mix of black kow poo/verm/coco coir fibers/spent coffee/gypsum.  I squeezed it out after draining overnight til barely any water dripped out.  A couple days ago when I checked it there was small amounts of water pooled in some spots and condensation on the foil lid.  The pooled spots may have been metabolytes but it was crystal clear though.  I wiped this all away with a sterilized cloth, very carefully, thinking I made the mix too wet. Now a couple days later it kind of appears dry to me, like a little dryer than potting soil would come fresh in a bag.  Is there any way to salvage it or test it now for appropriate moisture content?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Stalled tray? Maybe too dry? [Re: dutc2006]
    #11393369 - 11/05/09 09:23 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Time to fruit, IMO.
You may want to give a gentle but thorough misting to bring the moisture up. Several applications an hour apart would be better than just soaking it down.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
    #11393386 - 11/05/09 09:25 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I go by weight.

Remember about how much that baby weighed when you put it in there?  It will lose quite a bit of heft when the moisture turns to fruit.

I don't understand what you said about "squeezing" it out...

Also, note the edges of the mycelial mat have pulled away from the sides of the tray.    This shrinkage is due to moisture loss.

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

Offlinedutc2006
Experimenter
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Stalled tray? Maybe too dry? [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #11393497 - 11/05/09 09:41 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the replies, now that I have 50 posts Doc T i owe you a good rating, will do in a sec, you have helped me a ton when I was getting that recipe for the sub.  So by that pic Doc you think i can fruit it or you just say that because it is in trouble?  There are exposed pieces of sub that are not colonized at all, but only about the size of a pea.  As you can see in the pick the colonization is thin enough in most spots to see through it to the dark sub underneath.  Reaffirm for me and I will throw it in the FC right now, I trust you.  Should I try to do the mistings first and bring it back to a moist level before I do throw it in the FC?  Also should I sterilize the water I use to mist it and should I remove it from the tray to fruit it?  BrandNewbie I meant that in the tek I used a pillowcase is used to pasteurize the poo mix.  After pasteurized you throw that in the sink to drain overnight, and then squeeze it out to bring it to field capacity before spawning to it. Were you saying it is normal to lose that much moisture during colonization or pointing it out as a problem?  It actually feels pretty heavy, it seems close to its' initial weight to me, so it probably has some water underneath the surface layer come to think of it.  I use this method when determining when to water my plants, don't know why i didn't think of it earlier.

Thanks guys.

Edited by dutc2006 (11/05/09 09:45 PM)

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
    #11393527 - 11/05/09 09:45 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

OOOhhhh. That makes sense. Sorry.

I'd do what the Doc_T says. He doesn't talk a lot, so when he does, he means it. :rockon:

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11393544 - 11/05/09 09:46 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

It's been in a bag or something, right? It can't really have dried out very much?

Reason I say to fruit it is that if it's done growing, then that's the next step. You don't have to do it right now, there's no harm in waiting a while. If you wanted to, you could case at this point too. (Not that I would, just saying.)

--------------------

Offlinedutc2006
Experimenter
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Stalled tray? Maybe too dry? [Re: Doc_T]
    #11393590 - 11/05/09 09:52 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks!
Actually it has  been in a aluminum roasting pan, about 4 inches deep with a foil lid with a couple holes poked in it, then placed in the incubator sealed.  The sub is about 3 inches deep.  1:4 spawn to sub ratio was used btw.  I was gonna fruit it in a shotgun so I thought if I fruited with exposed sub I would be begging for contams. Should I make a mini mono or something to let it fruit and ditch the shotgun idea?  I have some cakes going well in there ATM.  Oh and re: the casing, I was planning on doing a late casing strategy maybe, but you could talk me out of it if it is a bad idea.

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Cat Bowling

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
    #11393640 - 11/05/09 09:57 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I've noticed that shrinkage often occurs just before/during pinning as the mycelium begins to consume the nutrients.

--------------------
Spongiform's Plastic Tek - An Alternative to Glass
Spongi's PF Block Tek & Automated Shotgun Project.

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Stalled tray? Maybe too dry? [Re: Spongiform]
    #11393656 - 11/05/09 10:01 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I'm just not a caser, so I don't really have an opinion on that.
If you want to let it consolidate for another week or so, there's no certainly harm in that. Or fruit it if you think it is done colonizing.
If it's not ready, it'll finish in the FC and then fruit.
Or, wait until you see pins.
Or case it and let it go 10-14 days or whatever works.

--------------------

Offlinedutc2006
Experimenter
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11393725 - 11/05/09 10:11 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Okay I am perfectly content fruiting it right now in my shotgun if you tell me it is safe, my only concern in doing that is contams.  Is this level of colonization strong enough to prevent easy contamination by fruiting it now?

OfflineSpongiform
Some Cow
Male User Gallery Arcade Champion: Cat Bowling

Loc: Greener Pastures
Trusted Cultivator
    #11393751 - 11/05/09 10:14 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Fully colonize substrates are very resistant to contams.

--------------------
Spongiform's Plastic Tek - An Alternative to Glass
Spongi's PF Block Tek & Automated Shotgun Project.

Offlinedutc2006
Experimenter
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Stalled tray? Maybe too dry? [Re: Spongiform]
    #11393799 - 11/05/09 10:21 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I understand that that is why I am weary to fruit it.  I trust Doc but my impression when I asked the OP was that if you dont fully colonize bulk trays you failed.  I will be super happy if he tells me it is safe to fruit it, because I will go into it assuming I can resist contams.  Thanks!

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #11394011 - 11/05/09 10:50 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Depends on the bulk. Coir doesn't always colonize 100% like a cake or grain jar does.
You don't have fresh poo, that Black Kow is composted. It and the coffee do represent a contam hazard, true. But a fairly small one if you've prepped this all properly.
So really it's up to you.

One thing I'll say for sure- make a decision and stick to it. Don't switch back and forth.
And stop looking at and breathing on it! You are the single biggest contam hazard your grow will ever face.

--------------------

Offlinedutc2006
Experimenter
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11395548 - 11/06/09 03:46 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks I didn't know that about the coir.  So you mean the composted manure isn't as nutritious as fresh poo right?  So that contributes to the incomplete colonization? 
Quote:

Doc_T said:
One thing I'll say for sure- make a decision and stick to it. Don't switch back and forth.
And stop looking at and breathing on it! You are the single biggest contam hazard your grow will ever face.

Copy that! so can somebody recommend a proper way to fruit this tray being that it isn't fully colonized, because obviously a shotgun FC with cakes already in it seems out of the question.  There is room, but I sure as heck can't fan my cakes with a tray that's not fully colonized sitting exposed in there.  I don't know why all the tray teks stop instructions at full colonization.  I have researched more and read that the water I mist with should be sterile so I will do that, what about using a piece of translucent plastic or something with holes poked in it to cover the tray while it is in the shotgun FC so it can get hit with FAE, light and humidity.  Would that work or would the fanning of the cakes that are in there make it infeasible?
Confused...

Invisibledancefloordale
Research Assistant

#11395654 - 11/06/09 04:26 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

dutc2006 said:
Thanks I didn't know that about the coir.  So you mean the composted manure isn't as nutritious as fresh poo right?  So that contributes to the incomplete colonization? 
Quote:

Doc_T said:

Copy that! so can somebody recommend a proper way to fruit this tray being that it isn't fully colonized, because obviously a shotgun FC with cakes already in it seems out of the question.  There is room, but I sure as heck can't fan my cakes with a tray that's not fully colonized sitting exposed in there.  I don't know why all the tray teks stop instructions at full colonization.  I have researched more and read that the water I mist with should be sterile so I will do that, what about using a piece of translucent plastic or something with holes poked in it to cover the tray while it is in the shotgun FC so it can get hit with FAE, light and humidity.  Would that work or would the fanning of the cakes that are in there make it infeasible?
Confused...

If it is not 100 percent colonized, Don't put it into fruiting conditions. That simple. Yes, it may finish in there and be alright but you already know this is not optimal.

Let it colonize and consolidate, much like you would a cake. I am beginning to believe based on things i've done and some others who have had similar experiences, that consolidation time is also a pinning trigger. 

You can mist with tap water, everything will be fine.

Fruit trays however you want.

Put it in a shotgun FC, still in the container.
Put it in a shotgun FC, fruit it like a cake on alum. foil.
Put it in an inverted monotub, and fruit it like that.

There is no specific way to fruit a tray, just provide it with light, FAE, and humidity.

--------------------
Everything posted by the user dancefloordale, aside from what is written in this here clause is completely and utterly fictitious, despite any information read (or seen), above (or below) that might lead you to believe otherwise.

Hydra Tek - A detailed guide, for newest to the most skilled cultivators.

HCA

Bulk growing made easy-discussion
Bulk Growing Made Easy

Offlinedutc2006
Experimenter
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Stalled tray? Maybe too dry? [Re: dancefloordale]
    #11395673 - 11/06/09 04:36 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks man, that is exactly what I thought from the beginning but you know how sometimes the more you read the more confused you get.  I still wonder why Doc_T said to fruit it unless he suspected it would not fully colonize.  So either way i guess I should go ahead and spray it a little bit and get it back moistened and hope it keeps growing in the incubator?

Invisibledancefloordale
Research Assistant

#11395700 - 11/06/09 04:54 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Sorry, I never even looked at the pic, just read.

Upon zooming in on it, I may be mistaken, but I think I see knots forming? Am I right?

I also see the sub is pulling away from the sides. This probably means you are ready to fruit. The myc has colonized and is now digesting material and sucking up water in preparation for fruiting.

I'm with doc, I say go ahead fruit. Don't worry about contams.

Incubation is not really needed, unless it is unusually cold in the grow area.

--------------------
Everything posted by the user dancefloordale, aside from what is written in this here clause is completely and utterly fictitious, despite any information read (or seen), above (or below) that might lead you to believe otherwise.

HCA

Bulk Growing Made Easy

Offlinedutc2006
Experimenter
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Stalled tray? Maybe too dry? [Re: dancefloordale]
    #11395780 - 11/06/09 05:52 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Aw dude do you know how sweet this is?!?!  I just wanted to hear that reiterated before i did it.  I'm so ready to fruit this thing because i thought it was a lost cause when it became obvious it wasn't ever going to look like the photos I have seen of 100% colonized trays. 

I didn't even notice any hyphal knots because I was so quick to pull the lid back and snap a photo.  it may be the pic playing tricks on you, but I will see in a sec.

Okay so I'm gonna go ahead and throw it in the FC, so when I mist my cakes should I use the lid as a barrier to block the tray from the mist?  Or should I mist it as well.  I know the fanning is still important, just not sure about the misting of trays...

Thank you so much!

Offlinedutc2006
Experimenter
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11395886 - 11/06/09 07:18 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Okay so I put it in the FC and oh my! yes it is covered in hyphal knots.  I'm not gonna case it so I hope I get a good pinset. Thanks for the advice, will post updates when it pins if it looks good :stoned:

Invisibledancefloordale
Research Assistant

#11398263 - 11/06/09 03:26 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

This is littered with knots and a few pins.

Give it proper lighting (daylight 6500k). Lots of misting. Then lots of fanning.

When I say mist, you don't want to see water pooling, but droplets are o.k. Then manually fan for about 5 minutes, or until you can see noticeable evaporation.

When pins start to appear, like in the pic, make sure you dry them fairly well after misting.

--------------------

HCA

Bulk Growing Made Easy

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Gypsum, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation