Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Calcium Carbonate, Gypsum, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemaihimaihi
World beer tour veteran!
Male User Gallery

Loc: NC, USA
Trying to find a PH buffer.
    #11393233 - 11/05/09 09:00 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I have been researching / looking for the perfect ph buffer for 50/50+ for a good two weeks now. So far the only thing's that have come across my path are. Pennington's fast acting lime, pelleted. (Analysis "Ca 38%", "CaCO3 95.5%")

or

Austinville limestone garden lime, ground dolomitic limestone.
(Analysis "Ca 20%, Mg 11.5%, CaO 28%, MgO 19.1%, CaO3 50%, MgO3 40%)
I've heard contradicting theories on Magnesium content affecting mushrooms, so I'm not even sure if this product is viable.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these products and or knowledge if they will even work?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleCH HELL
Brain Sturgeon
Male User Gallery

Loc: mars Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Trying to find a PH buffer. [Re: maihimaihi]
    #11393268 - 11/05/09 09:05 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Not familiar with either brand but DO NOT use the Austinville limestone Mg is not good for fungi.
Take a look in my Sig for additives.
CH

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
    #11393282 - 11/05/09 09:07 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

The dolomitic limestone is not good for your needs.

Check the package of Pennington's for the word hydrated. It needs to work right away. That's why hydrated, (water soluble), lime is necessary.

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

InvisibleCH HELL
Brain Sturgeon
Male User Gallery

Loc: mars Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Trying to find a PH buffer. [Re: BrandNewbie]
    #11393328 - 11/05/09 09:16 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

BrandNewbie said:
The dolomitic limestone is not good for your needs.

Check the package of Pennington's for the word hydrated. It needs to work right away. That's why hydrated, (water soluble), lime is necessary.

Very good advice.
Here is part of my additives thread.
#4 Lime and Calcium Carbonate(Cali sand, chalk, c. lime).  Adds Ca(not much) and raises PH levels,  it is a long term PH buffer.  H Lime is preferred for immediate results but is short acting PH buffer.  I recommend using Ca carb and H. lime with gypsum,  this way you get an immediate PH raise and a long term buffer that doesn't get major PH swings that can be harmful to fungus.  I won't recommend a amount to use because all subs and casing are different,  just be sure to start with small amount(1/4tsp or less).  Be sure when buying any type of lime it doesn't contain Dolomite or Dolomitic lime it contains Magnesium witch will harm mycelium.  Ca carb can be used alone as a substrate additive 1/4 cup per gal of substrate is a good start,  less is fine when using gypsum.  Ca carb is faster acting then gypsum so I recommend using both together for best results.

Offlinemaihimaihi
World beer tour veteran!
Male User Gallery

Re: Trying to find a PH buffer. [Re: CH HELL]
    #11431527 - 11/11/09 08:58 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Finally found gypsum at a farm supply store a couple towns over. The brand is Ben Franklin and it is agricultural grade. Should i still be on the search for hydrated lime or will gypsum by itself do? :As a ph buffer: "edit"

Edited by maihimaihi (11/11/09 09:00 AM)

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #11431532 - 11/11/09 09:03 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

gypsum isnt a ph buffer, its used to supply calcium and sulfer which most substrates lack in. Both of are benificial nuitrients important in fruitbody growth and development.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Offlinemaihimaihi
World beer tour veteran!
Male User Gallery

Re: Trying to find a PH buffer. [Re: veda_sticks]
    #11431537 - 11/11/09 09:07 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I've read from multiple sources that gypsum could be used in a casing to neutralize the ph (7) was this false info?

Offlineveda_sticks
Cultivator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
    #11431548 - 11/11/09 09:13 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Think aboiut it, why would you use gypsum to neutrilise the PH when the goal is the shift the ph into the alkaline range (around 8.5). Mushroom mycelium can tolerate it but mould spores have a hard time germinating.

--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

OfflineBoris
Viking Warrior, of Valour
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: TX. Flag
    #11431553 - 11/11/09 09:15 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

?

--------------------
AMU

Terence McKenna Said:
"We have to create culture, don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are now is the most immediate sector of your universe, and if you're worrying about Michael Jackson or Bill Clinton or somebody else, then you are disempowered, you're giving it all away to icons, icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion, and what is real is you and your friends and your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And we are told 'no', we're unimportant, we're peripheral. 'Get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that.' And then you're a player, you don't want to even play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world."

Offlinemaihimaihi
World beer tour veteran!
Male User Gallery

#11431574 - 11/11/09 09:27 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I used to use a 50/50 about two years ago and it worked fine for the first and 2nd flush, but by the 3rd mold would usually take over my casing layer. I just recently decided to start having fun with the project again and improve my designs, but in my current town it's been pure hell trying to find any kind of supplements or buffers. I've Been through the typical Lowe's and wally world hunts, and a few nursery's and farmers supply stores. Finally I found gypsum! I'm still having no luck with the calcium carbonate or hydrated lime though. So any tips on where to find the stuff, or even a brand name to look for so I don't get screwed with the dolomitic stuff again would be greatly appreciated. Throw me a bone man lol.:mushroom2:

Offlinemaihimaihi
World beer tour veteran!
Male User Gallery

#11431579 - 11/11/09 09:29 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Nice, I guess i'll be running around to pet stores today haha, thanks man

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Calcium Carbonate, Gypsum, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation