Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCoheed88
Amateur Failure
 User Gallery

Hey - new
    #11392369 - 11/05/09 05:05 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hi there, with the mushroom season coming to an end in the uk, im thinking about cultivating my own mushrooms indoor. I heard that Liberty caps were extremely difficult to grow in doors. So can anyone recommend an alternative?

Also, can anyone recommend a book that i can buy that might help me in my quest.

Thanks guys.

--------------------
You don't like yourself, but you admire yourself - it's all you've got, so you cling to it. You're so afraid that if you change, you'll lose what makes you special. Being miserable doesn't make you better than anyone else, it just makes you miserable..

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemyco_mikey_mo
Mycologist For Hire
Male User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
Re: Hey - new [Re: Coheed88]
    #11392399 - 11/05/09 05:09 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

do a cube strain. B+ is pretty easy. and honestly books are great, but everything you'd want to know would be on this site. save yourself the money

--------------------
-Give a man some mushies, He'll trip for a day...Teach a man to cultivate, He'll trip for a lifetime-
:thumbup:Self healing Tyvek and Silcone lids for Trade... PM :pm: me:thumbup:
:syringe:Looking for anybody with extra spawn bags for trade... PM:pm: me:syringe:

Offlinezutmin
Stranger

#11392404 - 11/05/09 05:10 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

P Cube multispore for the win! Cubes are cubes so pick any race you'd like. Make sure you use a sponsor of this site to purchase your spores from.

I would suggest you watch these videos and follow to a tee  for a first successful grow. (Do not change anything!)
http://www.mushroomvideos.com/BRF-Pf-Tek

After that you can venture into bulk-grow territory and alternative methods.

OfflineCoheed88
Amateur Failure
 User Gallery

Re: Hey - new [Re: zutmin]
    #11392419 - 11/05/09 05:12 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Ok Thanks guys. I know there is a lot of info on this site. Its just you can't exactly snuggle down on the sofa with your laptop and get immersed, in the same way you can with reading a book. In terms of receiving spores by post, whats the chance of getting into trouble? I don't currently think theres a law against possession/distribution of spores in the uk.. But.. i may be wrong. I've heard spores don't contain any active component in them. Once again.. i may be wrong.

--------------------
You don't like yourself, but you admire yourself - it's all you've got, so you cling to it. You're so afraid that if you change, you'll lose what makes you special. Being miserable doesn't make you better than anyone else, it just makes you miserable..

Edited by Coheed88 (11/05/09 05:14 PM)

Offline2Cents
Male

Loc: PNW Flag
Re: Hey - new [Re: zutmin]
    #11392428 - 11/05/09 05:13 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

best of luck and welcome to your new hobbie!:sun:

cubes are easy and fun, personally I recommend doing PF tek and using a shotgun FC

--------------------
Long live the Shroomery!!!

OfflineCoheed88
Amateur Failure
 User Gallery

Re: Hey - new [Re: 2Cents]
    #11392483 - 11/05/09 05:23 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Obviously being new i dont understand this terminology but is tek something to do with using an MAO?

--------------------

Offlinesgaltair
Aspiring Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Loc: Gainesville, Florida, USA
    #11392513 - 11/05/09 05:27 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Coheed88 said:
Ok Thanks guys. I know there is a lot of info on this site. Its just you can't exactly snuggle down on the sofa with your laptop and get immersed, in the same way you can with reading a book. In terms of receiving spores by post, whats the chance of getting into trouble? I don't currently think theres a law against possession/distribution of spores in the uk.. But.. i may be wrong. I've heard spores don't contain any active component in them. Once again.. i may be wrong.

I snuggle down with my laptop and read the shroomery all the time :smile: it's what I do with some of my spare time. (I have a lot)

I don't know for sure but I'm fairly certain spores are legal in the UK, I dunno about active fruits though. I swear I read somewhere that they were legal but I don't think it was in the UK. But I'm just an ignorant American :wink:

--------------------
"Zydrate comes in a little glass vial..." Repo! The Genetic Opera

"Measure what is measurable and make measurable what is not so."
Galileo Galilei

"When the veil falls
All will be made manifest
And the warriors of the ethereal
Will be our only defense"

~~altair~~

Offlinesgaltair
Aspiring Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Loc: Gainesville, Florida, USA
    #11392525 - 11/05/09 05:30 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Coheed88 said:
Obviously being new i dont understand this terminology but is tek something to do with using an MAO?

The PF tek is a technique for growing mushrooms. It consists of filling jars with a substrate and a vermiculite barrier. A shotgun FC is your Fruiting Chamber. The shotgun part refers to the numerous holes drilled into the side of the large plastic tub that will be your FC. It sort of looks as though it has been shot with a shotgun.

All this information (and so much more, I swear I'm still reading) can be found throughout this site :smile: So as you say, snuggle down and enjoy :mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:

--------------------
"Zydrate comes in a little glass vial..." Repo! The Genetic Opera

"Measure what is measurable and make measurable what is not so."
Galileo Galilei

"When the veil falls
All will be made manifest
And the warriors of the ethereal
Will be our only defense"

~~altair~~

OfflineCoheed88
Amateur Failure
 User Gallery

Re: Hey - new [Re: sgaltair]
    #11393085 - 11/05/09 06:41 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hey with regard to using a pressure cooker. Do you think i can use this meat boiling thing we own. You put like beef and gravy in it, and it simmers for hours and boils stuff. it electrically heated from below, and looks like a pressure cooker, but im not sure what it is.

--------------------

OfflineHybridprX
Biodegrader of coir
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Hey - new [Re: myco_mikey_mo]
    #11393121 - 11/05/09 06:45 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

myco_mikey_mo said:
do a cube strain. B+ is pretty easy. and honestly books are great, but everything you'd want to know would be on this site. save yourself the money

:thumbup:

Post a picture of it if you can.

As far as cultivating using pf cakes then sure. You can steam the pf jar's with near perfect results, rarely do cakes contaminate unless it's introduced by the cultivator during the syringe preparation or at time of inoculation.

Read the pf cake tutorial and remember to apply dry vermiculite on the cake after its loaded in the jar as well as to submerge the cakes in water after they're fully colonized to replenish lost water during the colonization cycle. That's the jiff of it.

--------------------

Edited by HybridprX (11/05/09 06:49 PM)

OfflineCoheed88
Amateur Failure
 User Gallery

Re: Hey - new [Re: HybridprX]
    #11393178 - 11/05/09 06:52 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

it essentially looks like this:

http://www.roadtrucker.com/12-volt-cooking/12-volt-cooking-products/12-volt-slow-cooker-crock-pot.jpg

Turns out, its called a slow cooker..

--------------------

Offlinefundamentalchair
Stand up
 User Gallery

#11393267 - 11/05/09 07:05 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

That is not a pressure cooker, however a pot of boiling water will suffice for PF Tek.

Btw, 'tek' is short for 'technique'. When ever someone refers to a 'tek', they are referring to some sort of published process.

--------------------
semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit

Sclerotia FAQ... If ya ain't got any stones, grow some.

Will work for Laetiporus sulphureus culture/spores (or any other Laetiporus actually), :pm: me.

My Trade list.

Ghetto Tek: Auto FAE & Light

OfflineBrandNewbie
Captain
Male

Loc: U.S.A.
    #11393434 - 11/05/09 07:33 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

The Mushroom Cultivator Stamets,Chilton 1983, is a good book to start with. You can also find some books for sale here at The Shroomery:  http://www.shroomery.org/books/

Get ready for a way cool ride!  :goodluck:

--------------------
Question: Why do women wear make-up and perfume? 
Answer: Because they're ugly and they stink.

OfflineCoheed88
Amateur Failure
 User Gallery

Re: Hey - new [Re: fundamentalchair]
    #11393896 - 11/05/09 08:33 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

fundamentalchair said:
That is not a pressure cooker, however a pot of boiling water will suffice for PF Tek.

Btw, 'tek' is short for 'technique'. When ever someone refers to a 'tek', they are referring to some sort of published process.

Cheers man!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures