Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Vacuum Sealer, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedisinmtl
A moron with a PC
Shiitake, Blewitt, Bulk Sub Help (rookie stuff)
    #11391818 - 11/05/09 05:42 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Hi,

I'm new here, been on the site reading for awhile though. I love this site, everyone here is super nice and full of knowledge their willing to share, thank you, I really appreciate it.

Okay, read piles, thought I knew what's up. Tried one LC and agar clone mission (oysters and shiitake). Fluxed it all up, mostly grew mold, but learned how to identify some. Got my head out of my and ordered a shiitake syringe, built a real glove box, read some more, and got syringes.

Second try: One LC, two pf jars with wood shavings (walnut, oak, cherry)(1"x1/4"x1/64") substituted for vermiculite as recommended by RR, thanks to RR a lot. LC jar worked like a charm, thanks to the guy here who posted the tek. After 14 days, all was quiet with the jars, but no contams, so that was cool. I decided it was not wet enough, b/c I had not really soaked, only dumped the shavings in water, squeezed and used. I then made some where I soaked for three hours, they look wet in the jar.

But then growth, the good kind. Now the og jars are almost colonized, at least based on my understanding (note: I will follow RR's practice of letting them go one week past what visually appears colonized). The wet ones show no signs of growth, yet, about one week. Also, I think some of the slow growth was due to sub optimal temp, just set up a tub in a tub.

So, I got a contractors bag full of wood shavings, and wanna use them all in this grow. So I want to use the jars as spawn. I cant figure out to sterilize or keep sterile really (I have a small pc, but I can do it with my vacuum sealer and its bags, I left a small hole and heat sealed one right out the pc, it's showing no signs of contams. But I want the whole substrate colonized in a big terrarium, not bunches of pc size bags everywhere.

I have seen pics of outdoor wood ship beds, can I just sterilize it all in my pc and dump in a terrarium, dump the spawn in and goto town? What about contams in that scenario? (opening the lid to check it will let god know what in) And is pasteurizing easier/quicker/better? I have a turkey fryer.

Any advice will help, and all is appreciated. Thanks in advance. I looked for answers, but I get a little confused applying some examples to my situation. 

Pics can follow if you want.

Oh and I picked some blewitts and they are growing nice in an agar dish, figure since their wood lovers too, if I get the shiitake, I can use the same formula for them.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefalcon
In the green

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Shiitake, Blewitt, Bulk Sub Help (rookie stuff) [Re: disinmtl]
    #11394031 - 11/05/09 10:53 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

Blewit's mycelium will grow on sawdust blocks, not sure that you can fruit them on that though, you will probably have to bury the block in compost to get it to fruit.

OfflineRazoom
In true believer.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth habitable
Re: Shiitake, Blewitt, Bulk Sub Help (rookie stuff) [Re: falcon]
    #11395355 - 11/06/09 02:45 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

best wood for shiitake, Pleurotus ostreatus, Enoki ?

Offlinefalcon
In the green

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Shiitake, Blewitt, Bulk Sub Help (rookie stuff) [Re: Razoom]
    #11399506 - 11/06/09 06:14 PM (8 years, 1 month ago)

All three will grow on any hard wood, but if I had my choice,
I'd do shiitake on Sweet Gum or Black Gum,
Oyster on Willow,
Enoki on Elm

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Vacuum Sealer, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms