Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenewten

Loc: PNW
When should I pick these mushrooms?
    #11388690 - 11/05/09 12:53 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Last Friday I stumbled on some mushrooms, picked the largest and split them between 4 people via our first attempt at mushroom tea - all I got was gas, we weren't expecting too much. Max of 10 mushrooms at about an inch or less each. Two of us were a little starry eyed at least. Anyways, today I went to check out the spot again as I'd left most of the little ones, and found an additional patch. The biggest again are around an inch tall, some a little larger, most smaller. I'd like to let them reach their full potential but am not sure how long is TOO long to wait. I thought they grew quickly, but in 5 days they haven't grown much (though some new ones have popped up). I'm in Bellingham and it's getting colder, into the 50's-40's this week, I know the season's closing, and I don't wanna lose them. I'm not sure exactly how much cold weather affects them (besides frost).  Also, I've heard that the little ones (once they reach a certain size but are still relatively small) have as much psilocybin as the bigger ones - but also that you'll get more out of them if you let them grow so -which is true, or, what's the minimum size of a full-capacity shroom?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleIeponumos
Mycophile/Phytophile
Male User Gallery

Re: When should I pick these mushrooms? [Re: newten]
    #11388710 - 11/05/09 12:58 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

For once, tl;dr. I've heard (or so I remember) that in buttons and aborts, there is a higher psiolcybin/wet gram ratio than in full matures. I'd pick when the veil breaks for most Psilocybes.

--------------------
]

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: When should I pick these mushrooms? [Re: Ieponumos]
    #11388748 - 11/05/09 01:10 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

tl;dr

Yea.  Wait until the gills turn purple.

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
    #11388769 - 11/05/09 01:20 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

What type of mushrooms are we talking about here exactly?

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

InvisibleIeponumos
Mycophile/Phytophile
Male User Gallery

Re: When should I pick these mushrooms? [Re: German Kahuna]
    #11388774 - 11/05/09 01:23 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

German Kahuna said:

" I thought they grew quickly, but in 5 days they haven't grown much (though some new ones have popped up)."

To be honest, with that phrase in mind, I'm not so sure ... Plus, isn't the PNW supposed to be blooming beautifully right now?

--------------------
]

Offlinenewten

#11390920 - 11/05/09 01:31 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks for the responses -

Sorry!! I typed up a description but copy-pasted my post and left it out accidentally.
I think they are cyanescens. Orange-brown caps, brownish gills, white stems, bruise blue, purple-black spore prints. Not too wavy but most are pretty small. They were growing in the grass in an open area on dirt/old wood chips. I'd take a picture but my camera's broken. This is my third time finding them outdoors - last year we found a few really old ratty cyanescens (I think) in this spot, and I've picked azurescens once - I'm a novice.

I thought that up here the season is basically done by November, and with the weather getting nastier I figured we'd have another week or maybe two before hunting was pretty much pointless.. I know cyans can grow into December but I don't know if that applies to Bellingham... I could be totally off here, I'm relatively new to the area

I'm sure that they are active but yeah, I expected them to be larger by now - I don't want to go checking on them every 2 days either because they're in a fairly public place. My partner wanted to just pick them all last time but I thought we should wait.... How many days should it take for a cyanescens to grow (well, for the veil to break)?

Offlinetangoking
Lover of Boletes
 User Gallery

Loc: New Jersey, USA
    #11391013 - 11/05/09 01:47 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

pics would be nice... :wink:

--------------------
Smurfette artwork reference:
https://www.guyhepner.com/product/smurfette-with-flowers-by-herr-nilsson/

InvisibleIeponumos
Mycophile/Phytophile
Male User Gallery

Re: When should I pick these mushrooms? [Re: tangoking]
    #11391024 - 11/05/09 01:49 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

newten said:
Thanks for the responses -

I'm sure that they are active but yeah, I expected them to be larger by now ... How many days should it take for a cyanescens to grow (well, for the veil to break)?

3-7 days, I guess. I've never been to the PNW nor have I picked cyans, so I dunno. P. weilii doesn't take too long to mature, so that's what I can judge by.

Quote:

tangoking said:
pics would be nice... :wink:

THIS TOO.

--------------------
]

InvisibleShockValue
Because, ShockValue.

Loc: Tipping at windmills.
    #11391037 - 11/05/09 01:51 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

It's not really about size so much as shape. Since the same mushrooms can come in a fair range of sizes it
s best to judge their maturity by the shape of the cap.  IMHO anything convex or 'higher' more is fair game.  They've had a chance to dump some of their spores to ensure future generations, but they aren't so old that they're bordering on rot.

The patch I'm harvesting from right now the little buggers range in size from 1/2" to 2" across at full maturity.

--------------------
  • When we built temples to view the stars, we knew about all 2000 of them.

Offlinenewten

Re: When should I pick these mushrooms? [Re: ShockValue]
    #11391654 - 11/05/09 03:14 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I wish I could take pictures for you guys, when we pick them I'll do some webcam shots or something

Thanks again everyone

Offlinenewten

#11391677 - 11/05/09 03:19 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

By the way, if anyone in the Bellingham area reads this and wants to go hunting (and is new to the hobby, I'm sure veterans are content to look on their own) feel free to hit me up. I'd love to meet some of you.

Offlinenewten

#11399706 - 11/06/09 04:54 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Went back today (after a fucking insane windstorm and lots of rain yesterday) and was happy to see our little patch alive and well and taller than I expected based on how little it had changed between the last 2 trips.

so... pictures! horrible iphoto pictures.

Here's what I thought were the cyans. You can't really see the bruising but they're all getting black and blue along the edges of the cap. So back to my size question - take the little one next to the quarter, its veil's broken, would it be "better" if it was left to grow a leeetle more or is that just nit picky?
ALSO, how many of these should I take for a good solid trip?  My partner and I are debating whether or not we have enough to share with our other roommate.. I feel stingy but..... maybe we can give him a couple and take the rest. I don't know much about dosage.
When I picked azurescens I ate probably 2 small handfuls of pins and little ones, and that worked great. I usually eat an eighth dry which is the minimum amount of trip that  I'm going for here.

My partner also found one of these growing just out of the bark/dirt in the same general area, and I found another a little ways away. I think this is what we actually found last year and thought were old cyans. Compared to the mushrooms in my first photos, the stems are much thicker and have a light blue bruising on them, the caps are considerably lighter (though that could be from age right? One of them is starting to fall apart). No print yet... Could they be active? The stems bruise blue more heavily when handled but it's a light blue.. reminds me of the Stropharia aeruginosa we also found last year, but the caps aren't blue, there's just a miniscule hint of what could be blue undertones on the second one, can't really see it in the photo.

Finally, I thought this white one was cool. Solid white with light tan gills and green-blue tinge at the center of the cap which is a little more vivid in life. Stropharia aeruginosa? It's lighter than the ones we found last year and the stem isn't/doesn't bruise blue at all, but the color on the top looks familiar.

InvisibleIeponumos
Mycophile/Phytophile
Male User Gallery

#11399743 - 11/06/09 05:00 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

That second to last one looks like a Stropharia sp. to me. Nice finds, :mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:.

--------------------
]

Offlinenewten

#11400694 - 11/06/09 08:10 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Well I looked it up and as they weighed 13 g total we just split them between us two... peace!

InvisibleMr Cyan
    #11401156 - 11/06/09 09:49 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Bellingham season is still well, and strong. Just today I've seen new pins, and the weather forecast for the next two weeks looks very promising.

Were these found in a public park, or greenway?

Offlinenewten

Re: When should I pick these mushrooms? [Re: Mr Cyan]
    #11406919 - 11/07/09 06:35 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Define greenway - they were found in a tall-grass/dirt field area. We found a ton in a park today though :smile: lots of pins tooo I'm so happy we're finding shit, last year we did alright in Tacoma but not Bellingham, today we had just given up hope and were walking out of the park when bam! 120 g of cyans :laugh:

Edited by newten (11/07/09 06:37 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds