Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisiblePsilocypher
Explorer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
Difference between sativa and indica
    #11390088 - 11/05/09 12:45 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Hey, I was just wondering what the difference is between these two strains, and how you would know which type you've bee sold. I hear a lot of talk about "sativa's better than indica" and vice versa. In the UK though I've never heard these names in 10 years of smoking - we just call it skunk, and if you're lucky you'll get told if it's northern lights, thai, blueberry, silver haze etc. But I've never heard of these two categories.

1. Are all types of skunk either indica or sativa (like a two-way division of all skunk weed), or are they just two types out of many breeds like purple haze, super-skunk etc?

2. How do I tell the difference just from looking (any pictures please)?

3. How are the effects different from one another?

Thanks for your time. D

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefireshaman
Botanist
 User Gallery

Re: Difference between sativa and indica [Re: Psilocypher]
    #11390126 - 11/05/09 12:51 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

most are a hybrid

--------------------
Nomad 2013 Trade List
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/17137809

OfflineCosmicLion
Organical
 User Gallery

#11390141 - 11/05/09 12:53 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

"Skunk" is a term for high-grade cannabis. Other terms include Dank, Chronic, Buds, Kind Bud, Hydro, Sensimilla

Most strains are a hybrid mix between Sativa and Indica, although some strains are 100% one or the other.

When looking for a strain you want to find one that is 'Sativa Dominant' or 'Indica Dominant' depending on what you want.

Lets take a look at the 3 most well-known cannabanoids.

THC makes you high and euphoric, rushing and awake.

CBD & CBN make you tired and sedated, lethargic, stoned feeling.

Many people claim too much THC makes one paranoid while too much CBD\CBN makes you couch-locked and unproductive.

Sativa strains have a higher THC ratio with less CBD & CBN.

Indica strains have higher concentration of CBD and CBN.

If you want an awake, uppidy, euphoric and sometimes psychdelic high go for a Sativa.

If you want a stoned 'fucked up' sedated high go for Indica.

My personal favorite strains are 70% Sativa, or more. I like pure sativas too.

I believe the mainstream prefers indica.  Many people get too anxious or paranoid off a heavy sativa. A lot people like to get trowed and use weed as a drug. There is nothing wrong with this, just don't expect to be fully productive if you are smoking indica all day long.

An experienced well-roudned weed smoker will likely smoke Sativa during the day while doin stuff then smoke an Indica at night to relax.

As for me and my ridiculous university load, I stick with Sativa's as my primary smoke.

:bigjoint:

--------------------
:peace:    :peace:

Earth's Essence

Offlinebatheinthefountain
ॐ ॐ ॐ
Male

Loc: Germany
    #11390146 - 11/05/09 12:54 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

1. skuks is a hybrid

2. here

to see it from dried buds (the weed you buy) it's harder and takes some expirience imo... :shrug:

Sativa: High & Awake, "head high"! Like getting pulled upwards at your head/back (depends on strain)...
Indica: Stoned & Tired, relaxing "body high"! good to go asleep, pain relief, chill out...

Offlinefeifen

#11390148 - 11/05/09 12:54 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Psilocypher said:
Hey, I was just wondering what the difference is between these two strains, and how you would know which type you've bee sold. I hear a lot of talk about "sativa's better than indica" and vice versa. In the UK though I've never heard these names in 10 years of smoking - we just call it skunk, and if you're lucky you'll get told if it's northern lights, thai, blueberry, silver haze etc. But I've never heard of these two categories.

1. Are all types of skunk either indica or sativa (like a two-way division of all skunk weed), or are they just two types out of many breeds like purple haze, super-skunk etc?

2. How do I tell the difference just from looking (any pictures please)?

3. How are the effects different from one another?

Thanks for your time. D

So.. you've been smoking for 10 years and you have no idea what the difference is?

For some reason I don't believe you lol

Sativa is a uppy high, cerebral and trippy while Indica is a more profound body high that is very downy, makes you tired and mellowed out and just wanna go to sleep

there is pure sativa, pure indica and then there are mixes

I personally enjoy pure sativas the best and maybe an indica at night when I wanna sleep

I doubt it's actual skunk.. it's just dank weed

Who knows what strain you are getting

OfflineCosmicLion
Organical
 User Gallery

#11390170 - 11/05/09 12:58 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Here are some TYPICAL characteristics, all stains vary:

Indica:

Indica likes to grow compact, it produces dense resinous nugs.  It also produces dark nugs. Darker purple, darker red. Indica often produces deep fruit smells or deep "dog poo" like smells. Some Indicas, like Kush crosses, have a distinct deep woody smell to them.

Sativa:

Sativa likes to grow tall and stretch. You can spot a sativa bud because it will likely be less compact and more airy. Instead of dense resinous nugs you will likely find more 'expanded' or sometimes 'spongy' and sometimes 'stringy' nugs that are covered in a diamond crystal frost but without the deep resin production.

Sativa will often be a much lighter green, sometimes lime green. The smells are generally very light and crisp and often yields a very 'wet' smelling crisp, strong and SWEET fruity smell.

--------------------
:peace:    :peace:

Earth's Essence

ॐ ॐ ॐ
Male

Re: Difference between sativa and indica [Re: feifen]
    #11390185 - 11/05/09 01:00 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I do not understand why the mainstream likes indica more.
I smoked cheese in Amsterdam (this years Cannabis Cup Indica Winner) and i couldn't move anymore, and felt totally fucked :shrug:
How could someone enjoy that?

Sativa dominat ftw. makes me productiv, creativ & i still have a clear head.

InvisiblePsilocypher
Explorer
Male User Gallery

Re: Difference between sativa and indica [Re: CosmicLion]
    #11390194 - 11/05/09 01:02 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks Lion. So they're like parent categories of all weed and not just two strains? That's cleared a few things up. So I'm most likely going to be able to tell the difference myself without the dealer telling me. I remember reading somewhere that Joe Rogan prefers sativa, and it kind of shows:) It would be brilliant to find the perfect blend of THC, CBD and CBN, and then just stick to that for ever, but over here you just get what you're given.

Thanks again

--------------------

InvisiblePsilocypher
Explorer
Male User Gallery

Re: Difference between sativa and indica [Re: feifen]
    #11390210 - 11/05/09 01:06 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

feifen said:
So.. you've been smoking for 10 years and you have no idea what the difference is?

For some reason I don't believe you lol

I know the difference now - just from thinking back to different types of highs (or lows) I've had in the past, but I've just never heard of those two names. Like I said, in UK (this part anyway) we just call it skunk or purple haze or whatever. :smile:

--------------------

InvisiblePsilocypher
Explorer
Male User Gallery

#11390228 - 11/05/09 01:08 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

And thanks for those pictures too batheinthefountain, but I was hoping to see the actual buds to see if there were visible differences - if there are any. Cheers

--------------------

ॐ ॐ ॐ
Male

#11390293 - 11/05/09 01:19 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

well CosmicLion described them pretty good
And i think you're getting something wrong here:

Sativa and Indica are THE 2 cannabis plants that have always existed.
Today there is almost no PURE indica or PURE sativa on the market.

Sativa is the cannbis-plant-"species" that formaly came from South America.
Indica is the cannaibs-plant-"species" that formaly came from India.

These plants got crossed (takin pollen from an indica, giving it to a female sativa ->  plant recieves seeds, or the other way round) and then got fancy names like "Purple haze" etc... :smile:

There are so many different strains, because plants got crossed so many times, receiving different procentual amounts of sativa/indica.

So it's not as easy as lion said because, like i said, every strain is a mix of the two.
So if a nug has some (fe.) indica features (like lion pointed out), the amount of indica in the plant might dominate.

Sativa bud:

"loose" & "fluffy"

Indica bud:

"dense" & "compact"

Sorry for typos etc... im german :smile:
I hope I could help, even if i had a hard time to type what i was thinking :shrug:

Edited by batheinthefountain (11/05/09 01:21 PM)

InvisibleDynoo
-
 User Gallery

Loc: - Flag
    #11390312 - 11/05/09 01:23 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Growers that have limited indoor space or time choose Indica strains because they flower shorter and they don't take up as much space. This has lead to more Indica strains in the mainstream. Almost all of the no name bud around my area is Indica or a hybrid. I personally like Sativa's best. I had a chance to smoke some Maui Wowwie (pure Sativa to my knowledge) and it was a whole different type of high. I felt energetic, everything seemed colorful and happy, and it got my creative juices flowing like crazy. It's comparable to being high + the afterglow of a good mushroom trip.

--------------------
-

ॐ ॐ ॐ
Male

Re: Difference between sativa and indica [Re: Dynoo]
    #11390343 - 11/05/09 01:27 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

i had some awesome haze (haze = sativa dominant) in Adam.
that + coffee and i was soo ready for the day, even with partying all night.

if weed EVER gets legal here, i'd smoke a breakfast sativa joint every day.
helps soo much to get awake

Offlinesmokin427
 User Gallery

Re: Difference between sativa and indica [Re: batheinthefountain]
    #11390350 - 11/05/09 01:28 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

first off, skunk is a VERY broad term. skunk has many meanings, all depending on the context it is used in. skunk #! is a well know strain, or species, of marijuana. its stinky and it gets you fucking high. skunk can also mean poor quality, or homegrown weed as well.

you'll never know if your buds are sativa or indica just by looking at them; you have to see the original plant or smoke them to find out. smoking is probably your only option, so here are the possible outcomes:

1. you get a head high. you think very clearly and you feel like going out and doing something. sativa. smoke some pure sativa and you CANNOT fall asleep; its impossible.
2. you get a body high. you get extreme munchies and sink into your couch. indica gets you stupid because often times you wont think as clearly. its numbs you and your mind, and puts you to sleep.
3. a mix of the above feelings means you got a hybrid. VERY rarely will you get a pure sativa or pure indica anyways, unless you grow it. its a blessing if you do.

cannabis-seeds-bank.co.uk

here is a autoflowering plant i grew; it automatically flowers after 1 month of vegetation and is ready to harvest at 2 months. its a cross between another autoflowering plant and ak47...its highly sativa as demonstrated by its long skinny leaves. i also threw in a pic of some durban poison i grew as well, its pure sativa and originates from Durban, South Africa.

--------------------
I know exactly what you mean. Let me tell you why you're here. You're here because you know something. What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad. It is this feeling that has brought you to me. Do you know what I'm talking about?

Edited by smokin427 (11/05/09 01:42 PM)

InvisiblePsilocypher
Explorer
Male User Gallery

Re: Difference between sativa and indica [Re: smokin427]
    #11390470 - 11/05/09 01:48 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

OK I think I know what you all mean now. Thanks :smile:

I bought the best weed I've ever smoked, only about a month ago. And that was really dark (not as dark as thai) and really dense/thick bud, so that suggests indica. But I got the most euphoric and happy feelings I've had from smoking weed - I actually cried tears of happiness after smoking it. It felt like I just dropped xtc, but I had no come down - bonus! And that suggests it was sativa. But like you all said, it's more than likely going to be a hybrid. And it could just have been my current mood or the music I was listening to :smile:

I need to find that strain again!

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience