Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBothHands
Dog Coffee
Female User Gallery

Loc: Flag
What if contam is yeast?
    #11380371 - 11/03/09 09:51 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I brew about 100 gallons of wine a year 3 gallons at a time in a giant soup pot. This room also happens to be the only free room I have if I were to grow any mushrooms.  I'm quite sure that the room is *covered* in yeast, but I also know that yeast is not only edible, but actually good for you.  Would yeast even be able to contaminate my substrate?  And if so, would the mushrooms still be edible?  Would it affect mycelium growth?

Thank you!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

Loc: SE United States Flag
Re: What if contam is yeast? [Re: BothHands]
    #11384416 - 11/04/09 02:19 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Pretty sure yeast is only a problem during your spawn run. You should be fine.

OfflineBothHands
Dog Coffee
Female User Gallery

Re: What if contam is yeast? [Re: Brennus]
    #11386172 - 11/04/09 06:00 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Thanks!! :laugh:

Happen to know what type of problems it'll cause during the spawn run?  So I know what to look out for.

Thanks again!

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

#11389754 - 11/05/09 09:31 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Maybe an increased rate of contamination if you do open-air inoculations, but you aren't planning on doing that, are you? :hehehe:

Yeast shows up on grain as white dots.

Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
    #11390813 - 11/05/09 01:10 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

try not too work on both projects at the same time, culture contamination would be my fear.

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

OfflineSeniorCoolo
Re: What if contam is yeast? [Re: solumvita]
    #11390868 - 11/05/09 01:20 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Look into getting a HEPA filter if you're concerned about air contamination. They're kind of expensive but IMHO worth it.

OfflineBothHands
Dog Coffee
Female User Gallery

#11391054 - 11/05/09 01:53 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Well this really isn't a full scale thing for me.  I'm kinda broke so I can't go make myself a glove box and a full grow container.  In fact I don't know if I'm even going to grow mushrooms out of the substrate.  I don't have verm or perlite, so I'm just going to grow mycelium on some organic brown rice and eat the cake.  My friend did that before and we tripped pretty hard.  He only let me eat his cake after he had grown mushrooms out of it, but that's not too important to me. I could spend 40$ for a 4g trip, or I could spend 15$ for a 12cc syringe, use some rice that I already have, and make myself 24 trips.  Pretty damn good for the money, whether mushrooms actually grow out of it or not.  Even if half the jars get contaminated, that's still 12 trips for 15$.  Yeast is edible on its own, and if I do get a contam, it will likely be from yeast.  I wanted to know if anyone's ever had a yeast contam, and whether it denatures the mycelium in any way.  Or if it has any other negative effects that would make eating it a bad idea.

I've been as sterile as possible.  I cooked the rice, put it in the jar, and then microwaved the container for 10 mins.  I left it for 24 hours (on a high shelf) and then got ready for the innoc.  I turned the air conditioner off for an hour to prevent any mold from being kicked up.  I then sprayed the whole room with Lysol, and then left the room for 20 minutes as to not breath any in. (Oust doesn't kill mold).  I used a torch lighter on the needle. The jar was opened for 3 seconds while I held my breath, innoc'd and then closed it quickly.  The innoc was done on a shelf about 4 feet off the ground.

So far I've done two jars.  One had a contam, and one didn't.  It made me trip pretty hard.  I microwaved, and then threw out the contam jar. 

I was wondering if anyone knew what a yeast contam would look like, and if it denatured the mycelium.

I might start growing them properly once I get some cash coming in, but for now, this is the best I can do unfortunately.

Thanks all!  I really appreciate your help!

OfflineBrennus
Student of Life
Male User Gallery

#11393821 - 11/05/09 08:24 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

BothHands said:
Well this really isn't a full scale thing for me.  I'm kinda broke so I can't go make myself a glove box and a full grow container.  In fact I don't know if I'm even going to grow mushrooms out of the substrate.  I don't have verm or perlite, so I'm just going to grow mycelium on some organic brown rice and eat the cake.  My friend did that before and we tripped pretty hard.  He only let me eat his cake after he had grown mushrooms out of it, but that's not too important to me. I could spend 40$ for a 4g trip, or I could spend 15$ for a 12cc syringe, use some rice that I already have, and make myself 24 trips.  Pretty damn good for the money, whether mushrooms actually grow out of it or not.  Even if half the jars get contaminated, that's still 12 trips for 15$.  Yeast is edible on its own, and if I do get a contam, it will likely be from yeast.  I wanted to know if anyone's ever had a yeast contam, and whether it denatures the mycelium in any way.  Or if it has any other negative effects that would make eating it a bad idea.

I've been as sterile as possible.  I cooked the rice, put it in the jar, and then microwaved the container for 10 mins.  I left it for 24 hours (on a high shelf) and then got ready for the innoc.  I turned the air conditioner off for an hour to prevent any mold from being kicked up.  I then sprayed the whole room with Lysol, and then left the room for 20 minutes as to not breath any in. (Oust doesn't kill mold).  I used a torch lighter on the needle. The jar was opened for 3 seconds while I held my breath, innoc'd and then closed it quickly.  The innoc was done on a shelf about 4 feet off the ground.

So far I've done two jars.  One had a contam, and one didn't.  It made me trip pretty hard.  I microwaved, and then threw out the contam jar. 

I was wondering if anyone knew what a yeast contam would look like, and if it denatured the mycelium.

I might start growing them properly once I get some cash coming in, but for now, this is the best I can do unfortunately.

Thanks all!  I really appreciate your help!

You're kidding, right?

A glove box will literally cost you $10. You cut arm holes out of a clear plastic tote box you can pick up at Walmart. If you don't have a big pot to property sterilize PF-Tek Jars in, you can buy one of those for $10. Latex gloves and a bottle of rubbing alcohol will run you maybe $6.

Another plastic tote as a decent shotgun fruiting chamber will run you another $10. Perlite and vermiculite would be another $10.

OfflineBothHands
Dog Coffee
Female User Gallery

#11394671 - 11/05/09 10:22 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

At the moment I have -690$.

I'd need to get a new credit card.

I'm getting far more for my money than I would if I was buying them for 10$ a gram, so I'm happy for now.

$40 = a trip
OR
$0.62 = a trip.

Still makes sense to me.

OfflineM8M
Stranger
    #11402652 - 11/07/09 04:54 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

You can go even cheaper on a GB.  Get a cardboard box from your local grocery (FREE) , cut two arm holes in the side and place Saran Wrap over the top ($2 a roll). Clean your fingernails and wash your arms and hands with alcohol and spray the GB with Oust before use.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract