Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGeoff
Stranger
Anyone got any idea what this is?
    #11374605 - 11/03/09 03:36 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Single fruit body, 6 inches across, growing out of a cut log in mixed woodland.  UK (Sussex).  Has pure white (true) gills and a distinct stem (not a pleurotus).

I posted this on WildaboutBritain and nobody seems to know what it is. There can't be that many mushrooms that get this big and grow out of logs.  Anyone want to hazard a guess?  Even to which group it belongs...?  It is probably not that common, since I don't recall ever seeing it before and I've been foraging for quite a long time.

Edited by Geoff (11/03/09 03:38 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleIeponumos
Mycophile/Phytophile
Male User Gallery

Re: Anyone got any idea what this is? [Re: Geoff]
    #11374755 - 11/03/09 05:16 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Geoff said:
Single fruit body, 6 inches across, growing out of a cut log in mixed woodland.  UK (Sussex).  Has pure white (true) gills and a distinct stem (not a pleurotus).

I posted this on WildaboutBritain and nobody seems to know what it is. There can't be that many mushrooms that get this big and grow out of logs.  Anyone want to hazard a guess?  Even to which group it belongs...?  It is probably not that common, since I don't recall ever seeing it before and I've been foraging for quite a long time.

To be honest, I have no idea. It looks like some sort of ascomycete, but I can't tell. If  you can get another picture, lower the white balance value (or it worked on mine at least) for light colored objects. You get much more definition and detail:

0.0 White balance:

-2.00 white balance:

They were taken an hour apart, which considerably changed the natural lighting (it's amazing how quickly the earth turns when you're not looking) but I believe  the principle still applies. EDIT: On second thought, looking at the first picture again, I'm guessing something out of the family of Tricholomataceae. Though looking at the cap it could be something out of the Lepiota genera.

--------------------
]

Edited by Ieponumos (11/03/09 05:25 AM)

OfflineGeoff
Stranger
Re: Anyone got any idea what this is? [Re: Ieponumos]
    #11374961 - 11/03/09 06:37 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

No, it's definately a gilled fungus.  Sorry about the poor photography.  I would normally have removed it, sliced it open and got some better pictures, but there was only one of them and I've never seen it before so I thought it best to leave it where it was.  If I knew it was going to be this hard to get an ID then I'd have taken more time on the photo...

OfflineGeoff
Stranger
    #11374979 - 11/03/09 06:43 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Re: Lepiota and Tricholoma:

It's too big to be a lepiota.  It could just about conceivably be a macrolepiota, except for that it is growing out of a log and the macrolepiotas grow on the ground - plus there just aren't enough macrolepiota candidates in the southern UK.  Tricholoma has more species in it, but don't they also exclusively grow on the ground?  And do any of them get this big?

OfflineBeege
gatherer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Germany Flag
    #11375571 - 11/03/09 09:31 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

no idea mate, the contrast on those photos is terrible, possibly an armillaria species

--------------------

OfflineGeoff
Stranger
Re: Anyone got any idea what this is? [Re: Beege]
    #11389194 - 11/05/09 05:23 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

OK...if anyone is interested I have managed to track down what this is.  It's Pleurotus dryinus which is rare in the UK but more common in North America.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies