Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleLakefingers

Loc: mumuland
Claude Lévi-Strauss has died
    #11389084 - 11/05/09 06:21 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

As is often pointed out, our 20th Century intellectual forebears are dying off. Key intellectuals such as Derrida, Lyotard, Gadamer, Anscombe, Nozick, Rorty, Quine, Baudrillard, Ricoeur, Rawls and Davidson have all died in the past few years.

Not many left now, and after all the '68 generation competence is gone or at least wiped clean of the active intellectual field we'll be left with self-indulgent, comparatively conformist thinkers born in the late 20th-Century, or?

Lévi-Strauss dies (BBC)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8340936.stm

Images
http://www.lexpress.fr/diaporama/diapo-photo/culture/livre/claude-levi-strauss-en-images_826037.html?p=0

Lévi-Strauss Obituary in NY Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/04/world/europe/04levistrauss.html?pagewanted=3&_r=1&em

Excerpt from NY Times article: The final volume ends by suggesting that the logic of mythology is so powerful that myths almost have a life independent from the peoples who tell them. In his view, myths speak through the medium of humanity and become, in turn, the tools with which humanity comes to terms with the world’s greatest mystery: the possibility of not being, the burden of mortality.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
You are under arrest!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Urban Jungle
Re: Claude Lévi-Strauss has died [Re: Lakefingers]
    #11389237 - 11/05/09 07:58 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I'm still here! Don't write me off yet. :hissyfit:

--------------------

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

#11389242 - 11/05/09 08:02 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Well, I think It is just a matter of establishing a post-post-modernism?
The conformist thinkers of the second half of the 20th century are just like conformist thinkers of any other time... except there is SO much more to conform to. It will not take much to convince the next generations of something new, however. It seems like peole want something new. What seems to be selling at the moment is bizzare spiritual shit that has one foot in scientific studies and another foot in biased accounts of culture. We just need some Enlightenment style reasoning that can help to show the flaws in contemporary assumptions. I think these things will occur over the next couple of decades. I have hope of this because I place myself in the scheme of things and assume there are other people who think similarly.

--------------------

InvisibleBand of Gypsys
Stranger

Loc: Mountains on the Moon
Re: Claude Lévi-Strauss has died [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #11389400 - 11/05/09 09:17 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I love his bluejeans.

--------------------
S o m e  T e x t

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Claude Lévi-Strauss has died [Re: Noteworthy]
    #11389491 - 11/05/09 09:56 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

We just need some Enlightenment style reasoning that can help to show the flaws in contemporary assumptions.

So listen up while you still have me here.:satansmoking:

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Offlineandrewss
precariously aggrandized

Loc: ohio
    #11389815 - 11/05/09 11:49 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

We "enlightened" ones will always have a need for some rabble to remain retarded, so as to feel esteemed up here :wink:

If everyone was rational and all that shit wouldnt some of us eventually find it prudent to inverse some of our behavior to keep life zesty? But then again I might be over dramatizing this...

:shrug:

:hellfire:

--------------------
Jesus loves you.

Offlineyoubreakyoubuy
Monkey Mouth
 User Gallery

Re: Claude Lévi-Strauss has died [Re: Band of Gypsys]
    #11389874 - 11/05/09 11:59 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Band of Gypsys said:
I love his bluejeans.

:imslow:  I clicked on some of the image pics in order to find a pic of him in bluejeans...gonna be one of those days.

--------------------
Let that which doesn't matter truly not matter.

InvisibleLakefingers

Re: Claude Lévi-Strauss has died [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #11389905 - 11/05/09 12:07 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
I'm still here! Don't write me off yet. :hissyfit:

Sorry, I thought we pulled the plug.

InvisibleLakefingers

#11389924 - 11/05/09 12:11 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Noteworthy said:
Well, I think It is just a matter of establishing a post-post-modernism?
The conformist thinkers of the second half of the 20th century are just like conformist thinkers of any other time... except there is SO much more to conform to. It will not take much to convince the next generations of something new, however. It seems like peole want something new. What seems to be selling at the moment is bizzare spiritual shit that has one foot in scientific studies and another foot in biased accounts of culture. We just need some Enlightenment style reasoning that can help to show the flaws in contemporary assumptions. I think these things will occur over the next couple of decades. I have hope of this because I place myself in the scheme of things and assume there are other people who think similarly.

How about Critical Realism? You think that's going to continue infesting the minds of academics and intellectuals or is it going to be short-lived? Deleuze (et al) is on an upswing, which I think will last longer or have more effect than most other continental trends.

What's hot in academia 2030? Any predictions?

InvisibleLakefingers

Re: Claude Lévi-Strauss has died [Re: andrewss]
    #11389936 - 11/05/09 12:13 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

andrewss said:
We "enlightened" ones will always have a need for some rabble to remain retarded, so as to feel esteemed up here :wink:

If everyone was rational and all that shit wouldnt some of us eventually find it prudent to inverse some of our behavior to keep life zesty? But then again I might be over dramatizing this...

I think you're right. If societal order breaks down, what do you do if you want to have a decent society? You get a gun, a badge and shoot assholes.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #11389941 - 11/05/09 12:15 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I always loved his jeans.

Sorry, I had to. :smirk:

--------------------

Offlineandrewss
precariously aggrandized

#11389978 - 11/05/09 12:23 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Lakefingers said:
Quote:

andrewss said:

I think you're right. If societal order breaks down, what do you do if you want to have a decent society? You get a gun, a badge and shoot assholes.

Fuck yeah!

--------------------
Jesus loves you.

InvisibleLakefingers

#11389987 - 11/05/09 12:25 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

You like zombie films?

Offlineandrewss
precariously aggrandized

#11390027 - 11/05/09 12:34 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Who wouldnt...

--------------------
Jesus loves you.

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

#11393236 - 11/05/09 09:01 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I just had a look at the Wiki entry for Critical Realism. I do not think it is right to say that our sense datum represents the physical world, even though it seems that way. The reason it doesnt make sense is because no one can escape their sense datum in order to see if it is representing anything or not. Im sure people have made this point in response to Critical Realists. But I think this notion is going to be more significant in years to come. What I personally am trying to develop is an 'epistemological metaphysics', whereby things can only be said to exist to the extent that we can infer them from our limited, potentially subjective information. Each person lives in a contstructed reality of their own but due to an array of justifications that have built up over the last few thousand years, we can induce that these seperate worlds are based on common 'reality'. However this induction is not a-priori, and so the reality of thoughts ought never be taken for granted - anything will seem real to the extent that it can be confirmed through reasoning, and this does not actually distinguish those things that are real from those things that are logically consistent with the facts.
Thus it is not proper to talk of anything as trully existing or not existing, rather there are things that are consistent and things that arent, and then there are a heap of experiences that we have which help us decide which of the consistent possibilities is most likely.
Much of our agreement/consensus about reality is merely a means to increase efficiency, because communities that are too anal about reality end up acheiving less than those who just accept reality and share their 'science' firmly.
The reason that I think it is important to isolate each person's reality within their brain is because the Platonic realm of ideals really does exist - in the brain, and is significant. It refers to the structure of our brain and the way that this ultimately decides our reality.
I also think less attention is deserved by science than it really gets. Science is not so much a means of finding reality as it is creating models that will correlate with our observed data. Each person is also a scientist in their head - using tools from their platonic realm to construct models of reality which make sense of their senses. Science is doing the same except that the tools that it can use are limited to those ideas that have already been extensively 'objectified'.

So that is just to give you an idea of what direction I am going with my philosophy, as for what will actually be discussed and studied in 20 years, i dunno

--------------------

InvisibleLakefingers

#11395557 - 11/06/09 03:51 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

From what I gather this epistemological metaphysics is pragmatism...

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

#11395605 - 11/06/09 04:07 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

yes similar to various aspects of pragmatism... but I do not think that the bottom line is 'action' or function of an idea. Pragmatism is generally associated with an air of 'well, in the end all that matters is what works'. This is far from what I am expressing above, which is that, if you take a purely rational stance, you must accept all non-contradictions as being equally 'valid'. This is because the scope of our evidence for anything is very limited. The next step, in distnguishing the likelihood of the non-contradictions can be taken various ways, potentially pragmatic, or potentially based on a sort of fuzzy logic or something like that?
If you know anyone you have heard say similar things, mention away

--------------------

InvisibleLakefingers

#11395647 - 11/06/09 04:24 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

The only person that comes to mind is Hegel in his scheme that tries to accommodate contradictions, non-contradictions, rationalism and empiricism... But the very overlap is only slight, but the intention might be similar, to forge a balanced way.

OfflineNoteworthy
Sophyphile
 User Gallery

#11395652 - 11/06/09 04:25 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

ps. also I think a big issue with modern philosophy are the 'thought expeirments' people use. I think a lot of thought experiments are actually negative things that get people bundled up asking the wrong questions. I think a review of the different types of thought experiment, and their usefulness, is something that ought to feature more prominently in coming philosophies.

And that reminds me of a very significant issue that is at the heart of my own academic directions -

intuition

is often taken for granted. However, intuitions are, according to contemporary assertion, functions of a material brain, and thus various concepts that we 'feel' intuitively ought to be analysed in light of the growing corpus of psychology. However a lot of philosophy/cognitive science that I have read involving psychology is asking questions about the nature of thoughts and whether or not they represent reality, whether or not there is free will, etc. I think what is more interesting is, how do human beings develop a sense of right and wrong? How do humans develop concepts such as 'knowledge' or 'should/shouldnt'? We can then understand the cultural influences that taint studies of ethics, politics, and the rest of it all.

In fact, psychology and philosophy are two sides of the same coin, which is, human thought. Psychology studying the mechanics of thought from an objective perspective, and philosophy studying the thoughts from within the mind's perspective.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology