Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinethedon420
Stranger
a few noob grower questions
    #11388081 - 11/04/09 10:16 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I'm planning on attempting my first grow, I searched the boards for some of my questions, and didn't find anything pertinent (maybe I'm doing it wrong lol)
anyways
I have most of the materials needed for the PF tek, and I know I can find everything I don't already have.
I was wondering weather I should try to start with the bulk substrate method, or if I should go with the rice cakes to begin. the bulk substrate looks a lot more worthwhile and easier, but the rice cakes are supposed to be a safer rout to go for the beginner. which method do you recommend for a first grow attempt?
also, What variety should I try? I want something potent with high yields, that's still relatively grower friendly, especially for a noob.
also are there any modifications to the terrarium that look very promising but usually go bad? I have a very strong drive to innovate, and I'll post up any ideas I come up with before I implement them.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemyco_mikey_mo
Mycologist For Hire
Male User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
Re: a few noob grower questions [Re: thedon420]
    #11388108 - 11/04/09 10:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

cakes. B+. PM me if you need spores. and just doing everything the TEK says to do. dont try anything fancy till you are sucessfull. trust me. good luck keep us posted.

--------------------
-Give a man some mushies, He'll trip for a day...Teach a man to cultivate, He'll trip for a lifetime-
:thumbup:Self healing Tyvek and Silcone lids for Trade... PM :pm: me:thumbup:
:syringe:Looking for anybody with extra spawn bags for trade... PM:pm: me:syringe:

Offlinedman080

Loc: NEW JERSEY
Re: a few noob grower questions [Re: myco_mikey_mo]
    #11388132 - 11/04/09 10:29 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Im on my first grow to Thedon420. I used the BRF cakes pf tek. I have no pc. I inoculated a week ago with cambodian the mycelium is already growing prety good. just follow all ingrediants and details and you should be cool.

Invisible13shroomsM
Lightning Shaman
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: IN ETHERS TORSION FIELD
Trusted Cultivator
Re: a few noob grower questions [Re: thedon420]
    #11388142 - 11/04/09 10:31 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

www.mushroomvideos.com ;     lotz of great info in there also.

this is a very easy bulk grow from citric :sun:  I highly recommend. :super:
Quote:

Citric said:
Was going to wait until this grow was finished, but figure I would post it up now since it will be done in a few days.

Well, to make a story short I owed a friend some money for letting me stay at his place while I went through a separation.  He has been trying to grow for years without any success(I even showed him step by step in person at one point and he still fails).  So, I told him I would setup a grow for him.  So here it is.  This is my first grow since 06(06 Martha Stewart), and this will be my last.  I made some lids(Self healing lid TEK) to last him a few grows if he decides to attempt it on his own in the future.  I enjoy growing and I love it, but I get way to stressed out and paranoid.

WBS Prep:
Soaked for 12-16 hours(Over night, don't remember the exact timing)
From the soak, was rinsed briefly and loaded into a large pot to simmer. (I don't simmer for long, I test the grain by trying to squish it, if I can, it's done)
Rinsed off with cold water, drained until nothing dripped, and loaded into the PC.

I started out with multispore inoculation(Fast, easy, fool proof inoculation) on a mini grain jar.  From that jar I made enough syringes to make up 36 quart jars.  I did a small experiment with the grain jars for fun, and made a Cup O' Shrooms!

Jars were inoculated with 1-2CC's and then shaken.  The jars were incubated in 81-83 degree TiT(Tub in tub).  The day after the first signs of growth they were shaken, and were fully colonized in 6-7 days.

I pasteurized a brick of coir and a quart of vermiculite.  I tossed the brick of coir and a quart of vermiculite into a bucket, then put 4.5 quarts of water in a pot and on the stove.  I got the water to almost boil, and dumped it into the bucket.  I mixed the coir/verm up and then closed the lid.  The next day the tubs were made.

6 quarts of WBS, 1 brick of coir, and one quart of verm.  The quart jars of WBS were birthed into a large bag and then crumbled.  I loaded the tub with the bulk substrate, then emptied the bag of crumbled WBS on top.  I gave the WBS a light mist and mixed it up by hand.  Four 64 quart tubs were done this way, and the holes were covered with duct tape, then covered with a blanket to colonize.

08/04

(I took a picture of them sleeping, please don't ask why, because I don't know)

Four days later, the tubs were all 100% colonized.

08/08

The tape was removed and stuffed with polyfil.  The two holes on each side were stuffed rather tight, while the holes on the top were stuffed loosely.  I put a fan right next to the closet door, roughly 3 feet away from the tubs.  I set it on medium(It is a small and very weak fan) and to oscillate, and left on 24/7.  A small cabinet light was mounted and set on a 12/12 light cycle.

Six days later pins appeared on all tubs.  Here are pictures from the top left tub.

08-14

08-16

08-17

08-18
Well I am going to have to do something with the mature ones.  Will cut the tops off and let the rest of the tub catch up.  I was going to clone the big one on the right hand side, but the stipe has been ripping a lot and I am a little cautious of doing so.  Not a big deal I got 3 other tubs that I can choose a clone from without having to deal with which part may or may not have been in contact with air.

Performed some surgery and removed some of the more mature caps.  Here is the big one that I was going to clone.

08-19
Time to harvest the top left tub.  I may add pictures of the other tubs when they are done and what not, but I don't think this thread needs much more documentation.

Dry weight from the first tub:  6 1/2 oz

Few pictures of fruits from another tub.  There were many more ones this size, but I got small hands!

All tubs first flush have been harvested, so here is a picture from the harvest of the last tub(I got bored)

Just a couple pictures of some fruits from the second flush(And last)

I found one that I had wanted to clone, so I took a picture of it.

Then about two days later I found this guy.

Well, that's all for this thread.  Hope people were able to learn something or at least had fun following it.  Best of luck to everyone, and just remember to keep it simple.  This hobby is not hard at all.  The main thing is do not cut any corners when it comes to being clean and sterile.  I know a ton of people who take showers, bleach their house, lysol it down, and say a prayer before inoculating.  If you want to go through all that, it wouldn't hurt(Other then killing time), but it is not needed.

If anyone has questions, feel free to post here or pm me.

Goodluck!

:headbang3:

another very easy (more potent than cubes) beginner thread, with all the info you need.

3 different paths which do you choose???  :strokebeard:

I would do them all. :crazy2:

:plur:

13:mushroom2:

--------------------
:takingnotes:A M U:helpdesk:
Click here ^ for the AMU forum
VVV AMUs Free Active/Edible/Exotic Spore Print or Syringe or Edible Culture Trade Thread VVV
"Man is the sex organ of the machine world" ~  Marshall McLuhan

Offlinedemonkinsin
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
Re: a few noob grower questions [Re: dman080]
    #11388157 - 11/04/09 10:33 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

First thing. Do you have or plan to purchase a pressure cooker?

None the less I would recommend cakes as a starting point.

Offlinekydelic
Stranger
Male

Re: a few noob grower questions [Re: demonkinsin]
    #11388257 - 11/04/09 10:50 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Either are fine if you have the money and aren't worrying about the amount of fruiting bodies you'll have.

Pros and Cons as I see it:

PROS
Cakes - Supposedly easier, uses less materials, no big loss if one cake contams, gives you skills needed for more advanced techniques

Trays - No need for all the materials for the pf tek, extremely cheap, can easily isolate contams (just like with cakes), easier to find and cheaper materials (especially if using coir), higher yields than cakes, pressure cookers and jars are unnecessary (especially if using coir), you can start any way you'd like (jars, for which you'll need a PC for the jars, mycobags which are extremely easy, g2g jars, etc.)

Bulk - Largest yields, you can start however you'd like, does not necessarily require a pressure cooker, cheapest

Cons
Cakes - Baby yields. Why wait at least a month for only a few grams? Materials are expensive, and sometimes hard to find. Takes a lot of time.

Trays - Not as big yields as bulk, but still plenty. Need to tinker a little bit to work with what you've got, but most things work well. Grain mycobags spawn to straight pasteurized coir work really well.

Bulk - You lose everything if there's a contam, requires lots of spawn and lots of substrate

Choose whichever you'd like, but don't listen to people telling you you HAVE to start with the pf tek. If you can't really find jars or can't afford a PC, there's no need to bother with it, plenty of people started with bulk, teks other than the pf, or their own method and did great, as long as you know the science behind it, how it generally works, and what you need to avoid and provide, you'll be just fine.

EDIT: Also, if you do have jars and a PC, you can start with cakes, spawn some of them to bulk or trays (with a monotub-style FC or even dubtub), and others as cakes in a shotgun FC to see what you prefer and works best for you personally. If you have the money and time, this is probably the best route. Working with jars will get you prepared for g2g, LC, and more.

--------------------
http://flickr.com/photos/mycography - A collection of my fungal photography

Edited by kydelic (11/04/09 10:54 PM)

OfflineTaterCaboose
Somethings Fucky...

Re: a few noob grower questions [Re: kydelic]
    #11388416 - 11/04/09 11:27 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

thank you for this thread. im studying to embark on my first time also!
good thread!

--------------------
:themoreyouknow:  :hank:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck