Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Coir, Peat, pH Test Strips, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePilzeEssen

Loc: USA
just made my first harvest, now what do i do to the trays???
    #11388092 - 11/05/09 12:19 AM (8 years, 15 days ago)

do i just mist the shit out of them? i know with cakes you dunk between flushes, and i dont think dunking a tray is possible.

i harvested the mushrooms and then misted the trays heavily and fanned. is this sufficient? should i continue to mist the shit out of those trays every time i go in to fan the FCs, or just leave them alone and mist once a day?

i used the 50/50 plus casing tek for this one, thinking of trying a different casing material for some other trays. probably coir/verm, maybe throw some coffee in and see what happens.

any idea how many flushes i can expect?

--------------------
"The soul has greater need of the ideal than of the real. It is by the real that we exist, it is by the ideal that we live."

If you want to get a hold of me, my email address is in my profile. Just click on my screen name. I got banned from using private messages cause I didn't follow the rules... :frown:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleI_was_the_walrus
eggshells
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: next door
Re: just made my first harvest, now what do i do to the trays??? [Re: PilzeEssen]
    #11388103 - 11/05/09 12:22 AM (8 years, 15 days ago)

Some people dunk their casings. Some just mist the shit outa them. You  can expect around 3 to 4 flushes depending on how big your casing is

--------------------

Invisiblemyco_mikey_mo
Mycologist For Hire
Male User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
Re: just made my first harvest, now what do i do to the trays??? [Re: I_was_the_walrus]
    #11388117 - 11/05/09 12:25 AM (8 years, 15 days ago)

sometimes the 2nd or 3rd flush is the biggest too

--------------------
-Give a man some mushies, He'll trip for a day...Teach a man to cultivate, He'll trip for a lifetime-
:thumbup:Self healing Tyvek and Silcone lids for Trade... PM :pm: me:thumbup:
:syringe:Looking for anybody with extra spawn bags for trade... PM:pm: me:syringe:

OfflinePilzeEssen

Re: just made my first harvest, now what do i do to the trays??? [Re: myco_mikey_mo]
    #11388124 - 11/05/09 12:27 AM (8 years, 15 days ago)

would putting more of the casing material on top improve anything? larger yield? more flushes?

idk how i could dunk a tray and pour the water out without the entire top layer of casing coming off.

Quote:

myco_mikey_mo said:
sometimes the 2nd or 3rd flush is the biggest too

thats what i like to hear :smile:

--------------------
"The soul has greater need of the ideal than of the real. It is by the real that we exist, it is by the ideal that we live."

If you want to get a hold of me, my email address is in my profile. Just click on my screen name. I got banned from using private messages cause I didn't follow the rules... :frown:

Invisiblefeelfunny
I am you
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: South
Re: just made my first harvest, now what do i do to the trays??? [Re: PilzeEssen]
    #11388173 - 11/05/09 12:35 AM (8 years, 15 days ago)

i mist the shit out of it. but some dunk just dont do bulk sub more than 4 hours

--------------------
IF A CAT AND DOG CAN GET ALONG WHY CANT EVERYONE ELSE?
If the sky is falling, don't look up!  :abduction:

Feel Family Founder. :pm: me if you are tired of hearing, "Use the search function".

OfflinePilzeEssen

Re: just made my first harvest, now what do i do to the trays??? [Re: feelfunny]
    #11388184 - 11/05/09 12:37 AM (8 years, 15 days ago)

does coir/verm perform any better than the 50/50+ tek? or should i just stick with the 50/50+. i have everything i need to make it. im putting together 6 trays tomorrow, and another 4-5 the next day.

--------------------

Invisiblefeelfunny
I am you
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: South
    #11388197 - 11/05/09 12:39 AM (8 years, 15 days ago)

50/50 coir is not used as a casing as much anymore cuz we now know it is a good bulk sub which means it is to nutritious for a casing layer

--------------------
IF A CAT AND DOG CAN GET ALONG WHY CANT EVERYONE ELSE?
If the sky is falling, don't look up!  :abduction:

Feel Family Founder. :pm: me if you are tired of hearing, "Use the search function".

OfflinePilzeEssen

Re: just made my first harvest, now what do i do to the trays??? [Re: feelfunny]
    #11388228 - 11/05/09 12:45 AM (8 years, 15 days ago)

sorry, im still getting things confused.

can you tell me what the difference between a casing layer and substrate? spawn is the colonized stuff you mix in to get everything else goin right?

--------------------

Offlinedemonkinsin
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #11388248 - 11/05/09 12:48 AM (8 years, 15 days ago)

Run it under a faucet for 45- an hour

Offlineepistasthai
Stranger

#11388307 - 11/05/09 01:01 AM (8 years, 15 days ago)

A casing layer is a non-nutritious layer you put on top of a colonized substrate in order to provide moisture to the substrate, give a good micro-climate at the substrate surface for pin formation, and/or to help provide humidity to your fruiting chamber.

The substrate is the nutritious mass that the mycelium colonizes and eats.

Yes. Spawn is the previously colonized substrate you mix into the uncolonized bulk substrate.

Verm/coir does not perform better than 50/50 verm/peat; verm/peat is preferred. If you use coir, you need to dilute it way down with verm (at least 60/40). If you use 50/50 verm/peat, it's a good idea to add a small about of hydrated lime (it's then called 50/50+) in order to balance the pH.

Cheers. :beer:

Edited by epistasthai (11/05/09 01:10 AM)

Invisibletruskool
WTF?? FTW!!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Over the rainbow
Re: just made my first harvest, now what do i do to the trays??? [Re: epistasthai]
    #11388767 - 11/05/09 03:19 AM (8 years, 15 days ago)

A casing layer provides moisture and a micro climate like said before and this is just a layer on the top to help initiate pinning and provide moisture.  Sub is what you spawn too, so you use the spawn mixed with the sub.  So in brief casing is adding a top layer and sub is mixing the spawn in and letting it recolonize and with many sub's you dont have to case you can fruit directly or you can case when is done colonizing

--------------------
Ask  AMU    for    the  best    mycology    advice  out  there

Roll it :burnone:While I troll it.  :maximumtrolling:

I don't mean to boast, but dam if I don't brag.

OfflineOthyem
Male

Re: just made my first harvest, now what do i do to the trays??? [Re: demonkinsin]
    #11388807 - 11/05/09 03:35 AM (8 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

demonkinsin said:
Run it under a faucet for 45- an hour

:thumbup: I do the same.

OfflinePilzeEssen

Re: just made my first harvest, now what do i do to the trays??? [Re: Othyem]
    #11389488 - 11/05/09 09:55 AM (8 years, 15 days ago)

if i run it under a faucet, ill have to drain it out, which will wash some of the casing material off.

should i just re-pasteurize some of the 50/50+ i have and fill it in where the stuff comes off?

do i have to reincubate the trays or just throw them right back into the fruiting chamber?

--------------------

OfflineOthyem
Male

#11390782 - 11/05/09 03:05 PM (8 years, 15 days ago)

Pasteurize up some new casing. Patch the spots where it needs it. Then throw it right back in the fruiting chamber.

Edited by Othyem (11/05/09 03:06 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store buy cannabis seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon Coir, Peat, pH Test Strips, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation