Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Gypsum, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinecowfodder
banged your mom.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
My Sclerotia Experiment
    #11387144 - 11/04/09 10:00 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

First, big thanks to Cervantes for his awesome "Easier than cubes" thread.  That is what inspired me to try this out.  I made up 2 grow bags, each with about 3 quarts of spawn.  One is RGS, mixed 2:1 with 50/50 water/coffee and a pinch of gypsum.  The other is popcorn, simmered for 2 hours in water/coffee, drained, then mixed with the left over coffee grains from the pot and gypsum.  Both were pc'd for 90 min, then left to cool to room temp for about 6 hours.  I'm going to nocc them up with 3CCs of P. Mexicana Jalisco MS each.  This is just to see how popcorn/coffee compares to the proven RGS method.  Wish me luck!

I will be updating this post with pics when I have something available.

--------------------
"“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.""
—Bill Hicks

:guitarhero:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDreamster1
Old School
 User Gallery

Re: My Sclerotia Experiment [Re: cowfodder]
    #11393303 - 11/05/09 09:11 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I will be following this closely as I just isolated a promising sector of Jalisco that was forming stones on agar within 10 days of colonizing the plate. Note that my plate was just a rye berry broth with no coffee so I am hoping this isolate can produce a sizable in vitro stone harvest.

Good luck to you!

OfflineOzzy_shroomer
Mystery Machine
Male User Gallery

Loc: Summer All Year
Re: My Sclerotia Experiment [Re: Dreamster1]
    #11393444 - 11/05/09 09:35 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Awesome popcorn rocks i can't wait to see this one keep us posted

--------------------

Offlinecowfodder
banged your mom.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My Sclerotia Experiment [Re: Ozzy_shroomer]
    #11432938 - 11/11/09 02:42 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

An update.  A Week in, no signs of growth, contam or otherwise.  I know it can take this long or longer for spores to germinate, so I'm not in panic mode yet.  I also made 2 LC jars from the remaining 4CCs of spore solution the next day, so even if this grow goes south I should have something left to try again.  I should mention the the LC isn't showing anything yet either, so it may be possible that the syringe was bad.  I know the karo solution I used for the LC is good, cuz I got 2 jars of cloned Malabar going from the same LC batch.  I'm in wait and see mode right now.

--------------------
"“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the Weather.""
—Bill Hicks

OfflineDreamster1
Old School
 User Gallery

#11472399 - 11/17/09 09:38 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I wouldn't freak out to much - my spore plates took 18 days to germinate. Once they get going they are a factor slower than cubes but not to bad.
Where do you get your syringe from?

InvisibleShaggy Shaman
Divine Conduit
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
    #11472646 - 11/17/09 11:08 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Awesome!  I'm about to start a Mex-A project, myself.  Adding this thread to my favs for the updates!

--------------------
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
— Tom Robbins

“The true value of a human being can be found in the degree to which he has attained liberation from the self"
-- Albert Einstein

Offlinecowfodder
banged your mom.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My Sclerotia Experiment [Re: Dreamster1]
    #11472797 - 11/17/09 11:54 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Dreamster1 said:
I wouldn't freak out to much - my spore plates took 18 days to germinate. Once they get going they are a factor slower than cubes but not to bad.
Where do you get your syringe from?

I'm not too worried. The bags aren't showing any signs of growth yet, but at least they don't look contaminated. I made some lc from the syringes too, and they just yesterday started shoing signs of growth. Even if the bags go south, I should have the lc, plus a second spore syringe to work with.

--------------------
—Bill Hicks

Offlinecowfodder
banged your mom.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #11483919 - 11/19/09 09:14 AM (8 years, 2 months ago)

Well, experiment over before it even got off the ground.  I checked today, and my bag o corn, as well as 4 corn jars I made with another strain, all are contaminated.  Gooey, pus like substance coming out of the kernels, and a smell like fermenting whiskey.  Oh well, at least my LC is showing some hope, and the RGS doesn't seem to be contaminated.  I think I'll pick up some rye berries at the natural food store near me and use some of that LC on them.

--------------------
—Bill Hicks

OfflineOzzy_shroomer
Mystery Machine
Male User Gallery

Loc: Summer All Year
    #11488263 - 11/19/09 09:35 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

sounds like the corn was to wet

--------------------

Offlinecowfodder
banged your mom.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My Sclerotia Experiment [Re: Ozzy_shroomer]
    #11488576 - 11/19/09 10:06 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

I wondered about that, but I'm not sure. It was washed, simmered, strained, and I used RR's toilet paper test so I thought I was all good. This was my first time using popcorn, so anything is possible. When I crushed it between my fingers before sterilization it was still somewhat firm, with a dry core about 2/3 of the way in. I figure you live, you learn, so no big deal. Given the slow germination I got on the lc, and the fact that one of the two lc jars went nowhere, and ended up with a bunch of spores just sitting on the bottom, that it could have been any combination of factors. I'm still holding out hope for the RGS bag, though if I don't see signs of growth in another week or so I might hit it with some of the lc, or maybe just scrap it entirely.

--------------------
—Bill Hicks

OfflineDreamster1
Old School
 User Gallery

#11492958 - 11/20/09 03:47 PM (8 years, 2 months ago)

yeah i stopped messing around with other grains years ago. rye berries are the only way to go. battle tested. buggers sure stink when being pressure cooked though! i would advise using a weak coffee mixture when you soak your grains.

i just inoculated eight jars with my isolate so i will keep updates posted on here.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Gypsum, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation