Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Loc: Seattle Flag
Murder defendant was high on hallucinogenic mushrooms....[NE]
    #11378005 - 11/03/09 05:50 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

November 3rd 2009 - The Chadron News

The opening arguments in the murder trial for Joseph Hotz painted a picture of a bloody, brutal scene allegedly brought on by a bad trip from psilocybin mushrooms

A jury of 11 women and three men began hearing evidence Tuesday morning in the trial that is expected to last the rest of the week. Hotz, 26, of Rushville is charged with first degree murder, attempt of a Class IA felony (attempted murder), four counts of use of a deadly weapon to commit a felony, one count of making terroristic threats and one count of attempted robbery.

Hotz was arrested Dec. 5, 2008, after allegedly attempting to break in to houses on King Street and threatening one of the residents. After his arrest, Chadron police officers found his roommate, Kenneth Pfeiffer, Jr., 22, dead in their home at 935 Shelton Street.

Doug Warner of the Attorney General’s Office took the jury through the events of the night as the state sees them in his opening statement. The evening began with a 911 call from Susan Jensen at 845 King just after 6 p.m. She reported that a man covered in blood was pounding on her door. A few minutes later, her neighbor Rolland Sayer called 911 reporting an intruder. The recording of the call will let the jury hear hacking sounds as Hotz attacks the bathroom door with a knife while Sayer is inside calling the police, Warner said.

Nancy Sayer, Rolland’s wife, was in the living room when Hotz entered their home. Warner said she heard the front door but assumed it was one of their grandchildren.

“Then around the corner appears a man in a blood-soaked shirt with two knives in his hands,” Warner said.

Hotz eventually left the Sayer home, and police responding to the 911 calls saw him leaving a yard and chased him down on Bordeaux Street. Warner said Hotz told officers the blood was from his roommate, and Officers Rick Hickstein and Mike Loutzenhizer went to the two men’s home to search for Pfeiffer. The officers entered the home through a broken patio door and found Pfeiffer laying in the hallway in a pool of blood and covered with wounds, Warner said.

The autopsy indicated Pfeiffer was stabbed 14 times and had 37 other incision wounds. Warner said four of the wounds would have been fatal, including one in the back, one in the neck, one in the back of the head and one in the shoulder. Hotz also had a stab wound in his leg, which according to Warner, Hotz said he did himself when he missed Pfeiffer with a dagger.

Warner said the two men each consumed one-eighth of an ounce of mushrooms and smoked marijuana the afternoon of Dec. 5, and Hotz began to think Pfeiffer was trying to kill him.

“He had a Darwinian realization of survival of the fittest,” Warner said. Hotz grabbed a knife, which Pfeiffer was able to wrestle away from him, but when Pfeiffer let him go, Hotz found another weapon, Warner said. He then apparently entered Pfeiffer’s bedroom where, from the disarray, it appears much of the attack occurred. Hotz then left the home and tried to get into the homes on King Street.

Warner said Hotz has admitted to using mushrooms before and to having a bad experience with the drugs, believing the CIA and ghosts were chasing him.

“This is someone who knew exactly the effects of these mushrooms … and now he’s saying he can’t be responsible,” Warner said.

Jeff Pickens of the Nebraska Commission on Public Advocacy delivered the defense’s opening statement. He told the jury that witnesses will testify that Hotz and Pfeiffer were good friends and that Hotz was known as a peaceful person. Once the mushrooms began to take effect, Hotz first experienced spiritual hallucinations, Pickens said.

“But that changed, and he then became very paranoid, fearful – fearful of Kenny.”

With those thoughts in his head, Hotz threatened Pfeiffer with a knife, but the larger man was able to bear-hug him and get the knife away. Hotz then ran to the basement of the home looking for another weapon, Pickens said.

“He started to feel an evil sensation. He thought he was dying. He felt he had lost God’s love.”

Pickens said his client believed Pfeiffer was part of an elaborate plan to kill him and says he heard a voice saying “God can’t save you.” He also heard people surrounding the home and believed he was in a position of “kill or be killed.”

Hotz remembers charging into Pfeiffer’s bedroom, stabbing him once in the arm and once in the head.

“He told investigators otherwise it’s a blur,” Pickens said.

When he left the home the two men shared, he still believed he was in danger and went to the homes on King Street calling for help. Even when he was arrested, Pickens contends, his client thought the police were fake and were going to kill him. While in the patrol car, he was asked several times if he’s OK or hurt and he kept saying he was confused and didn’t know what was going on.

“You can hear him yelling and screaming for his friends. … He’s convinced he’s going to die. You can hear him begging and praying for mercy the way a dying person begs for mercy,” Pickens said, referring to the in-car recordings.

Hotz cooperated with investigators and told them everything he could remember, he added. Two psychiatric experts evaluated Hotz and reviewed the evidence for the defense and determined that Hotz suffered from a drug-induced psychosis and drug-induced delirium, Pickens said.

“At the time of these acts, Mr. Hotz’s mental capacity was impaired to such an extent that he neither knew right from wrong nor knew the nature of what he was doing.”

He used the mushrooms with the intention of having a good, spiritual experience, which he’d had on several occasions with the drug, Pickens said. The state has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he intended to kill Pfeiffer with deliberation and malice, he reminded the jury.

Hotz has pled not guilty by reason of insanity, a defense that his lawyers must prove by a “greater weight of evidence” that he did not know what he was doing the evening of Dec. 5.

“I am confident you will find Mr. Hotz not responsible by reason of insanity,” Pickens concluded.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinebigorangeclown
Toasted/Roasted
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW Flag
Re: Murder defendant was high on hallucinogenic mushrooms....[NE] [Re: Twiztidsage]
    #11378181 - 11/03/09 06:18 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Care must always be taken with mushrooms, as we all know.. Apparently this man was a fool. He more than likely had an underlying mental condition.

Also how many times have we seen someone high on meth or crack or even drunk on alcohol murder someone... Come on now..

--------------------
R.I.P. Albert Hofmann (1906-2008)

OfflineRevolutionine
number9..number9..num
Male

Loc: Everywhere
Re: Murder defendant was high on hallucinogenic mushrooms....[NE] [Re: bigorangeclown]
    #11378231 - 11/03/09 06:27 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Wow another fucking dumbass and another step backwards for shrooms. I feel terrible for the guy he killed that mustve been an absolutely terrible way to go. This guy definately needs to be put away

--------------------
Smoke weed everyday

All I ever wanted was to be free,

and in the end that's how it turned out to be

Offlinewowitch17
Growery is Better
 User Gallery

Loc: Chile
Re: Murder defendant was high on hallucinogenic mushrooms....[NE] [Re: Revolutionine]
    #11378255 - 11/03/09 06:30 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

yea what a jackass trying to plead insane
theres no excuse for stabbing someone to death while on mushrooms

--------------------

InvisibleLivioDoubleFang
Outlaw of the Midwest
Male

Re: Murder defendant was high on hallucinogenic mushrooms....[NE] [Re: wowitch17]
    #11378289 - 11/03/09 06:34 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

This is totally fucking nuts!! There has not been a time when I went this crazy from eating shrooms, this jackass deserves to be behind bars for his ignorance

--------------------
Race/Strain Varieties

Want/Trade List

Vendor List

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"    -Gandhi

“I, as a responsible adult human being, will never concede the power to anyone to regulate my choice of what I put into my body, or where I go with my mind. From the skin inwards is my jurisdiction, is it not? I choose what may or may not cross that border. Here I am the customs agent. I am the coastguard. I am the sole legal and spiritual government of this territory, and only the laws I choose to enact within myself are applicable” - Alexander Shulgin

OfflineDutch-Master2890
Stranger

Re: Murder defendant was high on hallucinogenic mushrooms....[NE] [Re: LivioDoubleFang]
    #11378413 - 11/03/09 06:53 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

yeah lock his ass up, i never get angry like that on mushrooms (not saying its impossible)

and yeah people get murdered all the time whether it was drug induced or not a murders a murder but it just makes mushrooms look bad even though people get wasted on booze and kill people all the time

Invisiblefloydisgod
whoa
Male User Gallery

Loc: satur9 Flag
Re: Murder defendant was high on hallucinogenic mushrooms....[NE] [Re: Dutch-Master2890]
    #11378457 - 11/03/09 06:59 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

fuckin ehh. toss him in the loony bin

--------------------
Fearlessly the idiot faced the crowd
Smiling

OfflineTheMerryGangster
Be Good Family
Male

Loc: Here
Re: Murder defendant was high on hallucinogenic mushrooms....[NE] [Re: floydisgod]
    #11378544 - 11/03/09 07:10 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

God man, I just don't understand this kind of evil in the world.

--------------------
Lysergic exploration.
Fungus-induced enlightenment.
Herbal healing.

"When you realize how perfect everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky." -Buddha.

:aum: Peace :peace:, Love :heart:, and Light :psychsplit: :aum:

*EVERYTHING I SAY ON THIS SITE IS PURELY FICTION*

Invisiblelatherdome
envy of the drug world
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Murder defendant was high on hallucinogenic mushrooms....[NE] [Re: TheMerryGangster]
    #11378944 - 11/03/09 08:12 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

This is really disturbing. While I've never felt the tiniest bit of malice or inclination to violence on mushrooms (always completely the opposite), I'm haunted by the statement "he used the mushrooms with the intention of having a good, spiritual experience, which he’d had on several occasions with the drug...." I'm asking myself why this couldn't be me?

My worst trip involved me coming to believe that I had gone completely nuts and actually killed or wounded people I love, and that I was coming to in police or hospital restraints. Total fiction, but that the mushroom was powerful enough to make me believe this "impossible" thing left me wondering what else it is powerful enough to make me believe or... do.

Isn't it precisely the power of this substance that makes us love it? And we all know how important it is not to resist, go with the flow, trust the shroom, and it will all work out right? "he used the mushrooms with the intention of having a good, spiritual experience, which he’d had on several occasions with the drug...."

Bigorangeclown said "He more than likely had an underlying mental condition." That seems like too convenient an explanation after the fact.

Sorry if this is a downer. Respect, respect, respect.

Anyway, yeah, lock him up. If it were me I'd plead guilty to charges below first-degree murder, which implies premeditation.

--------------------
Those who know don't talk.
Those who talk don't know.

Offlinejerrylove
little bit further then I was
 User Gallery

Loc: shakedown street
Re: Murder defendant was high on hallucinogenic mushrooms....[NE] [Re: latherdome]
    #11379116 - 11/03/09 08:43 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Wow what a fuck! I'm with every one here lock his ass up!

--------------------
:mushroom2:THOSE WHO KNOW DONT TALK!:mad:THOSE WHO DONT KNOW CANT TALK.:smile: (Timothy Leary):mushroom2:
"Funny thing about weekends when your unemployed they don't mean quit so much except you get hang out with your workin' friends" Les Claypool

Offlinefapjack
Title
 User Gallery

Loc: Central New Jersey
Re: Murder defendant was high on hallucinogenic mushrooms....[NE] [Re: TheMerryGangster]
    #11379166 - 11/03/09 08:50 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Its not evil, its mental illness.  Whether or not its an excuse is another argument all together, but people that are normal usually do not randomly kill someone because they are afraid of them then run around knocking on random people's doors.  Its obvious he's got some serious mental disorder, and I feel sorry for both of them.  He belongs off the street, more for other people's safety though than for punishment IMO.

--------------------

OfflineShroomProphet
Grateful Dead to The Core
Male User Gallery

Loc: out on front street USA Flag
Re: Murder defendant was high on hallucinogenic mushrooms....[NE] [Re: fapjack]
    #11380310 - 11/03/09 11:42 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Some people are really silly about how they just jump in and eat a 1/8th or so and then they end up out of control and on the zooming down elevator out of there minds, with no grasp on reality! Its sounds easy to trip hard, but its not! Anyone who trips with any regularity knows one mushroom may not be so potent while some shrooms you can consume just one and feel super heavy effects. I would never just jump up and chow down on an eight of them, to me that's asking the shroom Gods to think your not responsible. It can be a one way ticket punishing experience if you go into it wrong or without caution and respect! Then you get what we have here today which is the way he wants it. well he gets it! Peace!!

--------------------

Offlinewowitch17
Growery is Better
 User Gallery

Re: Murder defendant was high on hallucinogenic mushrooms....[NE] [Re: fapjack]
    #11380414 - 11/03/09 11:57 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

dude its not a mental disorder unless you consider dumb people or people with little self control like junkies to have a disorder.
the guy didnt have a psychotic break, just a really strong mushroom trip that his mind couldnt handle and went into fight or flight mode.

--------------------

OfflineJon_Doe
UnidentifiedMycophile
 User Gallery

Re: Murder defendant was high on hallucinogenic mushrooms....[NE] [Re: Twiztidsage]
    #11380828 - 11/04/09 01:05 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

"But that changed, and he then became very paranoid, fearful - fearful of Kenny."

Oh my god, he killed Kenny! YOU BASTARD!

--------------------
“Cannibalism? Racism? Dude, that’s not for us ... those decisions are better left to the suits in Washington. We’re just here to eat some dude!”

-Charlie Kelly

Offlinelightsdownlow
Stranger

Re: Murder defendant was high on hallucinogenic mushrooms....[NE] [Re: wowitch17]
    #11380833 - 11/04/09 01:06 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

people are being such dicks about this. 

otherwhitemeat -- I have similar feelings about this.  I have had "good, spiritual experiences" as well as mildly paranoid experiences on psychedelics in the past.  Well, I guess not paranoid but perhaps a little bit delusional, and definitely experiences of solipsism in which I'm the only "real" person  or mind in existence, and I made everyone else up.  I can see how such a solipsistic state could have led me to do some dangerous things.  I had a friend bolt down a busy street once as a college freshman, freaking out and running head-on into people, dashing out in front of cars, etc. 

wowitch, I think you're being too harsh on this guy.  what the fuck do junkies have to do with this?  junkies assault and sometimes kill people usually because they are in withdrawal and will do anything for a hit.  That has very little to do with this situation.  And why is he automatically labeled as "dumb"?  It seems like you're equating his mental stability with his level of intelligence, which are two very different things.  If he was already somewhat mentally unstable, then  and

honestly I think everyone is probably just really pissed that this ruins our whole "shrooms are a friendly substance" agenda, and "makes shrooms look bad," so we're quick to label him as stupid or careless and write it off.  If, instead, we sat back and think about how it could have been us, I think we could stand to gain a lot more from this tragic event. 

OR MORE IMPORTANTLY, for those of you who are growers out there, this can call into question the ethics of your hobby, especially if you are distributing in some way.  What if that eighth was produced by a shroomery member?  I wouldn't be surprised.

Offlinewowitch17
Growery is Better
 User Gallery

Re: Murder defendant was high on hallucinogenic mushrooms....[NE] [Re: lightsdownlow]
    #11380934 - 11/04/09 01:27 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

i just wanted to make fun of junkies

--------------------

OfflineHeavyMetal
Old Man's Child
 User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Re: Murder defendant was high on hallucinogenic mushrooms....[NE] [Re: Revolutionine]
    #11381035 - 11/04/09 01:57 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

I live in Nebraska.... I really hope the media doesn't get wind of this and sensationalize it, or there's gonna be a couple of months where the, "Mushrooms are the Devil" mobs are running around everywhere.

I just hate that shrooms are going to get slandered so badly as this horrible drug that causes people to do these things... I personally don't buy this guys story for 1 minute.

Edited by HeavyMetal (11/04/09 01:59 AM)

Offlinevermoholic
Stranger

Re: Murder defendant was high on hallucinogenic mushrooms....[NE] [Re: HeavyMetal]
    #11381163 - 11/04/09 02:33 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

man i hate this anti mushroom bullshit propaganda.

when a murderer/mental case kills someone on alcohol or prescription drugs or something - they blame his mental condition.

if the same person did the same thing on mushrooms....they blame the mushrooms.

WTF?

let me put my tin foil hat on and say that cases like these will always pop up, if they happen or not, just so they keep shrooms illegal, and sheeps in the heard.

Offlinevermoholic
Stranger

Re: Murder defendant was high on hallucinogenic mushrooms....[NE] [Re: lightsdownlow]
    #11381263 - 11/04/09 02:56 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

lightsdownlow said:

honestly I think everyone is probably just really pissed that this ruins our whole "shrooms are a friendly substance" agenda, and "makes shrooms look bad," so we're quick to label him as stupid or careless and write it off.  If, instead, we sat back and think about how it could have been us, I think we could stand to gain a lot more from this tragic event. 

the problem here isnt that he had a bad experience, its that when someone has one it sets back mushroom legalisation 5 years back. 100's of people around the world do the exact same thing on alcohol every day and you barely hear about it. 1 guy does it on mushrooms and they are the devil.

also, the governments treat shrooms as an criminal instead of as a disease. if they cared about people like they claim they do when they ban a substance, why not educate them about pro's and cons of that substance and have supervised sessions where people try it, since they know alot of people will still take them illegally?
  i read somewhere a mom arranged her 17 year old kid to try ectasy under medical supervision since, as she said, he will try it anyway, so if something goes wrong its better that its supervised than somewhere on some rave party. that sounds kinda sick, but makes sense as well. some people can not handle the drug and after first time they will know NOT to take it again. especially if there is a supervisor that could take care of the group, and see who has problems, and warn them about it.

why, when someone gets busted with mushrooms and gets charged for mushroom "abuse"(whatever the fuck that word means) he goes to jail instead of the hospital? if you're saying that this devil's substance got a hold of my life, why push me further down the pit and put me in jail with murderers, rapists and thieves instead of helping me? only lesson i will learn from jail when i get out is that i will know how to murder, rape & steal.

oh i know why. 1.there is nothing wrong with me, on the contrary. 2. your story in saying you do anything for my well being or well being of people around me is a FUCKING LIE. 3. if we even ignore spiritual intuition, even pure logic doesnt work anymore in explaining why the mushrooms are illegal, except admiting that they would ruin the existing world order where people get heavily exploited.

Offlinevermoholic
Stranger

#11381306 - 11/04/09 03:06 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

lightsdownlow said:

OR MORE IMPORTANTLY, for those of you who are growers out there, this can call into question the ethics of your hobby, especially if you are distributing in some way.  What if that eighth was produced by a shroomery member?  I wouldn't be surprised.

what are you babbling about? there are millions of different types of people and millions of different things effect thwem in millions of different ways.

do you know almost more people died from swine flu vaccine than from  the swine flu itself? do you know over 400 people per year in the US die from penicillin allergies? does that ignore the millions of lives it saved? your way of thinking is limited.

how about alcohol that is available at every store? who takes the blame for the "questionable ethics" as you say in that?

# 5% of all deaths from diseases of the circulatory system are attributed to alcohol.
# 15% of all deaths from diseases of the respiratory system are attributed to alcohol.
# 30% of all deaths from accidents caused by fire and flames are attributed to alcohol.
# 30% of all accidental drownings are attributed to alcohol.
# 30% of all suicides are attributed to alcohol.
# 40% of all deaths due to accidental falls are attributed to alcohol.
# 45% of all deaths in automobile accidents are attributed to alcohol.
# 60% of all homicides are attributed to alcohol.

mushrooms probably take up like 0.0001 % of all that. and when that tiny % happens, "serious" world goes bananas. meditate on that.

Edited by vermoholic (11/04/09 03:21 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service