Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience >> Trip Reports

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinexeno
Stranger

didjeridoo music
    #1137757 - 12/13/02 08:23 AM (14 years, 1 day ago)

i love the sound of the instrument, but am at a loss for recordings with it.
i know aphex twin's track & incubus used it a little..
i'm looking for more.

thx

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTheCaptain
addict

Loc: Canada
Re: didjeridoo music [Re: xeno]
    #1140107 - 12/14/02 05:14 AM (14 years, 15 hours ago)

Well my good man, you pulled me out of lurking for the longest time to reply to this msg. Good job. :smile:

Didj? Theres SO much out there... Try listening to some
-Inlakesh
-Dr. Didj
-Stehpen Kent
-Outback
-Nomad

Theres also a HUGE database for didj music, and how to make and play your own (if youre so inclined- I reccomend it tho, once u get the hang of it you'll love it- its fuckin awesome!)...

Do some poking around on here and see! http://www.mills.edu/LIFE/CCM/DIDJERIDU/index.html

--------------------
"I mean, it's real hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace. 'Course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are."

OfflineAmber_Glow
Sat Chit Anand

Re: didjeridoo music [Re: xeno]
    #1140254 - 12/14/02 07:40 AM (14 years, 12 hours ago)

I've considered getting a didj and learning to play it, they really do sound cool. And imagine playing that out in the woods tripping, phew. :P

OfflineGloWorm
Stranger

Loc: Sirius B
Re: didjeridoo music [Re: Amber_Glow]
    #1143528 - 12/15/02 04:06 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Heya,

I've been playing didj for about six years now, and it is really an incredible instrament.

One afternoon some friends and I drank some tasty tea and tripped out in the woods, I brought my didj and along the hike I found a huge concave rock, which is awsome for the reverb effects. I must have been there for an hour, playing non stop. The sound and vibrations are beutifull and seem to wake old sleeping primal emotions. If you like the sound, you can teach yourself to play.

Go to the hardware store ( Thanks Evan!) and pick up a 2 inch wide by 4 1\2 foot piece of PVC, some beeswax, and boom, youre ready to make your own didjeridoo. Cut a soda can in half and melt the beeswax in it on the stove, be carefull, it can be tricky, pull it off the stove ( I take mine outside) and dip one end of the pipe into the wax untill its built up to a comfortable ring. Beeswax is best becase it molds to your lips while you play. start with a smaller opening till you get the feel of it. It took a liltle bit of patience, and an hour or so of making fart sounds till I got the spacing of my lips and speed down. Try throwing in barks an shouts while youre playing, some really neat sounds happen. PVC has an alright sound to it, its best because its cheap and available, when you think youre ready, you can buy or make one from an assortment of woods. Mine is a hollowed out yucca stem, but experiment and see what kinds make the best sound for you.

Cicular breathing. That is the real trick to trancing out on a didj. Its kind of hard to explain, but I'll give it a try.

Start by filling youre cheeks up like Dizzy Gillespie and closing the back of youre mouth with your tounge, this creates a little bag of air to squeeze out while you inhale with your nose at the same time. when youre lungs are full again ( or your chheks run ou of air) go back to using your lungs. As they get low on air, repeat the process. Voila. Some people get it on thier first try, some dont, just keep trying. Once you get the hang of it you can really go on forever, and with the deep breaths and hieghtend oxygen, it becomes like a meditation. There are infinite rythym and sound combinations.

Sometimes I'll just go find a lonely spot somewhere and play for awhile, cares worries and problems just seem to melt away.

--------------------
Kinda grabs ya by the Boo Boo dont it?

- Chong

Offlinemikey_
SURFING ON SINEWAVES
Male

Loc: Liverpool
Re: didjeridoo music [Re: GloWorm]
    #1144176 - 12/15/02 08:31 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

i'm jealous man!
my friend is going to australia soon so i'm giving him money to pick me up a nice piece.

--------------------
The poison is the dose - Paracelsus
Let your food be medicine and your medicine be food - Hippocrates

OfflineTheCaptain
addict

#1144206 - 12/15/02 08:43 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

yah man for sure! In fact, starting with ABS (the black tubing, thicker than PVC) is probably the best way to start. My first didj was an ABS tube as well, cept we just sanded down the playing end to make it soft(er) instead of getting beeswax- we were pretty ghetto and all... :smile:

I loved taking mine camping, and then melting it (just a little- to get it workable) in the fire and then giving her a few cool bends and belling out the end with a bottle (amplifies the sound).

Then theres the trip toy aspect of the didg. Next to my hoodie, my didg is almost always with me when I trip. 

--------------------
"I mean, it's real hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace. 'Course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are."

OfflineGloWorm
Stranger

Loc: Sirius B
Re: didjeridoo music [Re: TheCaptain]
    #1144219 - 12/15/02 08:54 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Sweet!

Me too! ABS is good also, and bending it to crazy shapes is never ending. Thats a trip , I have a beat up raggedy ass black heavy hoody , beater jeans and my didj when I trip. Crazy.

We used to paint them up, make em all original and sell them to kids for like 10 bucks. Not profit really, just trying to get peeps into it and cover the cost. Shit, that was in high school. {{ I feels old.}}

--------------------
Kinda grabs ya by the Boo Boo dont it?

- Chong

Offlinemetalchimp
bionic monkey

Loc: Cambridge, England
    #1144471 - 12/16/02 05:17 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

YEAH!!!

I love my didge, its Iron bark eucaliptus from a replenishable source termite bored and its shaven down to the brown wood exept for the end which has bark on it!

I found that it helped to practice with a straw in water when learning to circular breath!(keep the bubbles going)

its like spitting the air out of your cheeks (like you would water) and taking a sharp sniff at the same time!

I play didge in my band (incidentally my signature pik is the front cover to our e.p.)
& anywhere else I can get away with it!

watch out when buying didges from australia, european backpackers can get jobs holowing out (boo) & painting them, they then get sold as "authentic aborigional" yidagees!
but then I spose its only the sound that matters!

OfflineTheCaptain
addict

Re: didjeridoo music [Re: metalchimp]
    #1145603 - 12/16/02 12:09 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

"watch out when buying didges from australia, european backpackers can get jobs holowing out (boo) & painting them, they then get sold as "authentic aborigional" yidagees!
but then I spose its only the sound that matters!"

So true... The thing with Didges from Austrailia is theyre usually made with the kinds of wood that will get fucked up in our (yours as well) climate. I know many people who have bought "authentic" austrailian didges and brought them back only to have them crack like a mofo after a while because the wood cant take the different climates.

--------------------

Offlineseraphim
pugilist andstamp licker

Loc: brooklyn, ny
    #1149203 - 12/17/02 03:03 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

i knew this guy who usd to soften the tips of pvc didj's. he'd put the end in a kiln for a bit, then shove it into the end of a couple that was tapered, to make it a better mouth fit. then sand, wax.

--------------------
trying to lose the monkey mind a little bit

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #1150439 - 12/18/02 01:52 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Well as Im actually Australian I can vouch that if you buy dijs in Australia you get what you pay for - if your a typical tourist and go for the cheap shit, it will be made in Indonesia and be a piece of shit, whereas if you go to a reputable dealership - and there are many at tourist destinations like Alice Springs, you can get a world-class dij. I spent $400 on my dij and it is worth it. For depth of sound and the health of the wood, you can tip a glass of water down the instrument once every few monthes. If your Dij is drying out, cracking can be easily avoided by following this routine of water to make sure the wood does not crack due to temp and humidity changes.
Circular breathing can be accomplished simply by learning to exhale and vibrate your lips accordingly with your air filled cheeks alone while you breath in. Eventually however, with experience and time, most seasoned performers say that they have strengthened their breathing technique by incorporating their diaphragm to force the air pressure and drone through.
The best way to learn to circular breath - and the way that an indigenous Australian from Arnhem land (one of the few geographical areas were dij playing traditionally occured) taught me was to play a cycle of these sounds while vibrating the basic drone with your vocal box 'dooooo-wup!' 'Doooo-wup'. WHen using the drone, your muth should be in a slight smile shape and when you use the 'wup' sound you will find yourself forcing out a large amount of air from your mouth without exhaling from your lungs - this the point where you are able to breath in through your nose as the wup cheek motion forces the trapped cheek air into the dij.
Normally if you play for half an hour without stopping with circular breathing you will find yourself exhausted. Traditionally Arnhem land man would play the instrument without any break for 12-24 hours straight! Now that is an experience!

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience >> Trip Reports