Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGreegus
Farmer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Eastern Missouri
Amanita muscaria var. guessowii North East Missouri in June 2k9
    #11373720 - 11/02/09 11:04 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Found this last June under various deciduous trees on top of a hill bordering pasture.  There were around five others that I left undisturbed.  The pictures of the ones that were fully open were blurry.  I remember them coming up in this spot when I was a child so I am sure I am sure I will get another shot at em.

These were a little old but if caught earlier, I would imagine it tasting like happy.  lol Just kidding.  Hearing mixed reports on em.

Which would you rather?
You may choose only one

Votes accepted from (11/02/09 11:03 PM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

--------------------
Slowly learning from you, David Arora, and Paul Stamets

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Loc: Seattle Flag
Re: Amanita muscaria var. guessowii North East Missouri in June 2k9 [Re: Greegus]
    #11373806 - 11/02/09 11:19 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Cool Find, but I wouldn't eat it even with a confirmed ID, but thats just me.

Beautiful specimen and pics!

Invisiblevjp
Canowicakte
 User Gallery

Loc: Ste-ye-hah' mah
Trusted Identifier
Re: Amanita muscaria var. guessowii North East Missouri in June 2k9 [Re: Twiztidsage]
    #11373820 - 11/02/09 11:21 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

those are not them.

OfflineGreegus
Farmer
Male User Gallery

Re: Amanita muscaria var. guessowii North East Missouri in June 2k9 [Re: vjp]
    #11373851 - 11/02/09 11:26 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Not them?  Then Aspera or flavoconia?

--------------------

OfflineGreegus
Farmer
Male User Gallery

Re: Amanita muscaria var. guessowii North East Missouri in June 2k9 [Re: vjp]
    #11374099 - 11/03/09 12:24 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

vjp said:
those are not them.

It is looking more like Amanita muscaria var. persicina? 

I hate to do it but here are the blury pics as well.

This one was farther down the hill if I recall.  It was also outside of the edge of the woods taking direct sunlight throughout the day time.  Plus there had been very slight sprinkles the previous day if I recall.  So no warts present.

--------------------

Edited by Greegus (11/03/09 01:01 AM)

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Amanita muscaria var. guessowii North East Missouri in June 2k9 [Re: Greegus]
    #11374368 - 11/03/09 01:46 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Looks kind of like Amanita parcivolvata.

I wouldn't eat it.

OfflineYou can all etibem
Stranger than strangest

Re: Amanita muscaria var. guessowii North East Missouri in June 2k9 [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #11374742 - 11/03/09 05:11 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I think that it's Amanita flavorubens; just "yellower" then you usually see them.

InvisibleIeponumos
Mycophile/Phytophile
Male User Gallery

Re: Amanita muscaria var. guessowii North East Missouri in June 2k9 [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #11374780 - 11/03/09 05:28 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:

I wouldn't eat it.

THIS. Look at the powdery veil up the entire stipe. EDIT: No, All You Can Etbiem is correct imo, it has the same type of veil. Plus, it seems to lack a prominent stipe bulb.

--------------------
]

Edited by Ieponumos (11/03/09 05:41 AM)

OfflineYou can all etibem
Stranger than strangest

Re: Amanita muscaria var. guessowii North East Missouri in June 2k9 [Re: Ieponumos]
    #11374817 - 11/03/09 05:42 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Ieponumos said:
Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:

I wouldn't eat it.

THIS. Look at the powdery veil up the entire stipe. EDIT: No, All You Can Etbiem is correct imo, it has the same type of veil. Plus, it seems to lack a prominent stipe bulb.

It has a membranous veil, absolutely no way this is A. parcivolvata. The pinkish-red staining at the base of the stipe suggest A. flavorubens

InvisibleIeponumos
Mycophile/Phytophile
Male User Gallery

Re: Amanita muscaria var. guessowii North East Missouri in June 2k9 [Re: You can all etibem]
    #11374823 - 11/03/09 05:46 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

You can all etibem said:
I think that it's Amanita flavorubens; just "yellower" then you usually see them.

Quote:

You can all etibem said:
Quote:

Ieponumos said:
Quote:

Alan Rockefeller said:

I wouldn't eat it.

It has a membranous veil, absolutely no way this is A. parcivolvata. The pinkish-red staining at the base of the stipe suggest A. flavorubens

Thank you for the correction. I can see the reddish staining now. But, may I ask why near the base the veil is flaking off? This is what led me to considering it "powdery". I can see in the third pic all of the veil and volval remnants on the ground. I appreciate very much for all of the information and help thus far from the Shroomery and you, sir.

--------------------
]

InvisibleHerbBaker
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Amanita muscaria var. guessowii North East Missouri in June 2k9 [Re: You can all etibem]
    #11375019 - 11/03/09 06:56 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I'd call those Amanita flavorubens.
There is a great deal of variation in the morphology of Amanita flavorubens, perhaps it represents a species complex.

I read at Rod's site it is one of the few Amanita species that has a western population disjunct from an eastern population.

What if anything could we infer about the phylogeny of this species?

I'm very interested in the phylogeny of the section Amanita also, if anyone has any info..thanks.

OfflineGreegus
Farmer
Male User Gallery

Re: Amanita muscaria var. guessowii North East Missouri in June 2k9 [Re: HerbBaker]
    #11376711 - 11/03/09 12:37 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

HerbBaker said:
I read at Rod's site it is one of the few Amanita species that has a western population disjunct from an eastern population.

I am just bummed that I am taking interest in those mushrooms at the present instead of back when I was snapping shots of them. 

Plus I knew very little about how to check all macro-features of a mushroom.  I hope it does sprout again next Spring or Summer. 

This might sound silly but I have been putting some stuff together for if/when the fruit again in that region.  I plan on attempting to locate the roots right below a few of them, find out which tree it might be solely attached to, then attempt to grab small samples of soil from nearby the root, along with composted leaves from the host site, then germinate the seed from the host plant mixed with spores from the host site.

Also the fruiting bodies were quite scattered and I wish I would have seen if they were in any radial arrangement within this lightly wooded area.  Might have been able to trace it back to the tree. 

Then cross my fingers and hope it takes.  Replant saplings near the host site while hopefully accounting for amounts of sunlight exposure (if any) along with water supply.

The area has already been fenced off from cattle.  I did that shit this morning since they seem to tromp/compact the hell out of things.

Sounds like a considerable amount of work I am sure but hell, it could make a story to tell someday. 

I could care less about wishing to consume something like this but would just like to see it.  (even though I wish I knew how to figure out chemical composition)

I do plan on getting a more thorough examination of these in the future. 

Thanks for your help.

--------------------

InvisibleIeponumos
Mycophile/Phytophile
Male User Gallery

#11376824 - 11/03/09 12:53 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Greegus said:
Quote:

HerbBaker said:

I am just bummed that I am taking interest in those mushrooms at the present instead of back when I was snapping shots of them. 

Plus I knew very little about how to check all macro-features of a mushroom.  I hope it does sprout again next Spring or Summer. 

This might sound silly but I have been putting some stuff together for if/when the fruit again in that region.  I plan on attempting to locate the roots right below a few of them, find out which tree it might be solely attached to, then attempt to grab small samples of soil from nearby the root, along with composted leaves from the host site, then germinate the seed from the host plant mixed with spores from the host site.

Also the fruiting bodies were quite scattered and I wish I would have seen if they were in any radial arrangement within this lightly wooded area.  Might have been able to trace it back to the tree. 

Then cross my fingers and hope it takes.  Replant saplings near the host site while hopefully accounting for amounts of sunlight exposure (if any) along with water supply.

The area has already been fenced off from cattle.  I did that shit this morning since they seem to tromp/compact the hell out of things.

Sounds like a considerable amount of work I am sure but hell, it could make a story to tell someday. 

I could care less about wishing to consume something like this but would just like to see it.  (even though I wish I knew how to figure out chemical composition)

I do plan on getting a more thorough examination of these in the future. 

Thanks for your help.

They are mycorrhizal, so check back in a couple weeks. They usually come up under the same tree for multiple flushes.

--------------------
]

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds