Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Gypsum, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineemptyvessal
A New Friend?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
WBS Possible Contamination Bacillus?
    #11375675 - 11/03/09 11:51 AM (8 years, 17 days ago)

Hi there this is my first post so bear with me please.:smile:
My friend Darth Vader recently inoculated 5 jars of WBS with B+. The WBS was soaked over night, then simmered for 10Min's thoroughly drained so as to have no standing water. Did the tissue test (RR) then PC for 2 hours (due to my PC being 11psi). Inoculated etc used Tyvek envelope with Gasket self seal hole.Incubating at 80F-802F

Now the problem is 3 of the jars have yellow goo in them (the other 2 had the same but did not germinate) this goo seems to come out of some of the seeds that have broken. Is this Bacillus? Also is this due to the seeds being overly saturated and bursting? Or maybe the simmering ( as i have read some people don't simmer for exactly this reason)? Or was the PC for 2 hours too much? Or is the problem else where? eg cheap WBS bad news?

Any help would be great. :wink:

Darth is going to do another batch minus the simmering with same seed and another using Finch Seed until I can get hold of Rye Grain (UK costs alot due to shipping to my location...the death star!) Darth will also be adding Gypsum too the next attempt.

He has spent hours reading to learn what he can here as this is his first attempt.

He has 3 BRF jars also they show no sign of contam and are growing slowly but surely.These are in same Incubator should i remove them?

Thanks

--------------------

For Organic Mushroom Extracts Please Visit :smile:
Vitalherbs.co.uk

"Every failure is the price of tuition I have paid to learn my next lesson."

Paul Stamets

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesolumvita
Q.B.E.
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa
Trusted Cultivator
Re: WBS Possible Contamination Bacillus? [Re: emptyvessal]
    #11375754 - 11/03/09 12:04 PM (8 years, 17 days ago)

either simmer or soak but soaking and simmering seems to go bad even if the seeds just burst it is still a pain.  The jars look too wet to me.  Maybe a longer draining time, I normally drain at least 2 hours.

I am sure that it will work better next time without simmering and letting the seed drain longer.  I have not found gypsum to make any difference when making grain spawn.

No leave the BRF jars where they are, remove the WBS jars :grin:

--------------------
One of these days all the answers will be revealed until then we learn from each other!

www.mushrush.co.za

Offlineemptyvessal
A New Friend?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
Re: WBS Possible Contamination Bacillus? [Re: solumvita]
    #11376721 - 11/03/09 02:38 PM (8 years, 17 days ago)

Yep that's what Darth was thinking after reading the posts of others etc the simmering and soaking seems a bit overkill when you then throw PC on top too. Darth is soaking over night with a PC in the Morning.Darth's thinking that Rye Grain is more robust and can take a bit more of a beating on the soaking/simmering/PCing front is this true? 

Are those Jars toast then? Is is worth waiting to see if the Myc colonizes? Or is that definitely Bacillus ?
The reason Darth asks is that if he takes them out the Incubator his house is freezing due to his location they will def be done for.

Thanks for your reply solumvita  :smile:

--------------------

For Organic Mushroom Extracts Please Visit :smile:
Vitalherbs.co.uk

"Every failure is the price of tuition I have paid to learn my next lesson."

Paul Stamets

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Gypsum, Rye Grain, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Contamination Forum