Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHerbie5075
The Quiet One
Male User Gallery

M. Hostilis Cultivation?
    #11368007 - 11/02/09 09:55 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Here's a picture of the only germinated seed that made it through being planted.

I live in a zone 5a so winters are way too cold for this tropical fern and plan on putting it outside in the summers but for now it's in my room under a grow light and the temperature is around 72-75 degrees F

I had 3 seeds germinate and one recently died for reasons unknown to me. I got the seeds from a fellow shroomite and had them laying for about 2 months and finally got around to sprouting some of them.

I boiled some water and waited for it to cool for a little bit and placed 5 seeds in a bowl and poured the hot water over them and let them sit for a half hour then i put the seeds in a paper towel to germinate when they sprouted i put them in plastic cups with holes in the bottom to allow for drainage.

QUESTIONS

1. How fast do these guys usually grow?  This one has been going for about 2 months and hasn't gotten really big but it's still alive so i'm not too worried.

2. When would be a good time to re-pot this to an actual pot? 

3. Do they have a preference for soil?

Any other tips would be nice to know.  Thanks

--------------------
First Bulk Grow

LOOKING FOR EDIBLE CULTURES OR PRINTS ANYTHING GOURMET!!
also, Omphalotus olearius AKA Jack o'Lantern mushroom
PM ME

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCactusdan
Patecatl
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: M. Hostilis Cultivation? [Re: Herbie5075]
    #11368063 - 11/02/09 10:08 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

1. They tend to grow very fast when they have adequate root space.

2. I'd say in a month

3. I always used commercial potting soil, just make sure you replenish the nutrients after the first 3 months of nutes wear off.

4. MH is very easy to grow but mine always had a tendency to randomly drop a bunch of leaves if they got too much sun or not enough water, always bounce back though.

--------------------

InvisiblePoC
Relax
Male User Gallery

Re: M. Hostilis Cultivation? [Re: Cactusdan]
    #11373279 - 11/02/09 10:11 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Yah they're pretty easy.  Just wait for 2-3 sets of true leaves and it'll be ready for transplanting.  Once it's established, it grows at a nice speed.  BTW, Mimosa is not a fern but rather a member of the legume family, Fabaceae.

--------------------

Offlinespong

Loc: Australia
Re: M. Hostilis Cultivation? [Re: PoC]
    #11373517 - 11/02/09 10:38 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I also read that you can add some soil from around the roots of a leguminous plant to the potting mix to give the roots a head start with some nitrogen fixing bacteria. I dug up some soil and little bits of roots from an acacia in my yard and my seedlings are going pretty well so that could help :shrug:

--------------------

^^^The above post is entirely fictional.^^^

InvisibleStonehenge
Alt Center
Male User Gallery
Loc: S.E.
Re: M. Hostilis Cultivation? [Re: spong]
    #11377184 - 11/03/09 01:50 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

I have one outside that is over my head. I saw a pic a guy claimed was only a year old and it was bigger than mine and had flowers and seeds already. But he is in s america. They like partial sun and part shade. Don't overwater them and fert only when they get pale

--------------------
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.” (attributed to Alexis de Tocqueville political philosopher Circa 1835)

Trade list http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18047755

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds