Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Loc: Seattle Flag
Medical pot creates workplace dilemma....[MI]
    #11366731 - 11/02/09 01:30 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

November 1st 09 - Freep

Steven Karapandza says his use of prescription marijuana to help ease the pain of daily migraine headaches is none of his boss' business.

He never smokes pot on the job. He doesn't come to work high, and he gets his work done without fail, he said.

"In my mind, it's like any other medication," said Karapandza, 28, a Sterling Heights resident and cell phone repairman. "You wouldn't go up to your boss and tell him you've got a prescription for Vicodin."

Karapandza is among 5,108 Michiganders registered as medical marijuana users since a new law passed last fall by voters took effect in April.

Another 2,092 people have been approved as caregivers. About 1,100 applications have been denied under the law that permits marijuana prescriptions for pain relief among people who are chronically and terminally ill.

For employers, the issue is less clear-cut than the way Karapandza sees it.

"It's hard enough to run a business," said Kurt Sherwood, an attorney with Miller Canfield, a big Detroit-based law firm that held a seminar last week addressing employment issues, including medical marijuana. "I can see this creating a nightmare scenario."

Test? Hire? Fire? Medical pot users stump employers

Employers are facing tough issues as they try to navigate the state's fledgling medical marijuana law, such as the difference between "smoke" and "ingest."

Or whether company policies on drug testing still apply in a state where 63% of voters approved a new law last fall allowing medical use of marijuana.

During an employment seminar hosted last week by the Miller Canfield law firm in Troy, business owners heard they're in limbo, at least for now.

Since the law took effect in April, more than 7,200 people have been registered either as users of medical marijuana or their caregivers. So far, no employee or job applicant has filed a lawsuit saying he or she was fired or denied a job because of a positive drug test.

"We check the filings every day," said attorney Kurt McCamman of Miller Canfield. "We just don't know where Michigan is headed."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMHbound
Ballin Out At All Cost
Male

Loc: Under The Rainbow
Re: Medical pot creates workplace dilemma....[MI] [Re: Twiztidsage]
    #11367284 - 11/02/09 04:45 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

:nonono:

Its got to stop. I've been "let go" for use of cannabis..We don't have medical use here, but the thing is I never came to work high(Well, okay sometimes I did), got the job done regardless, and was very good at whatever they had me doing.

Its miserable and has left me stuck between: Quit smoking for a better job or continue smoking with a lower pay.

The thing is, is that if I were to quit smoking I'd probably get fired anyway because I can't tolerate dumbshits who try to use their cd drive as a fucking cup holder or something stupid like that.

I'm also not able to work quite as much or hard because the stress causes my neck/back to hurt(both have been broken 3 years ago) and it prevents me from running cable or something along these lines.

The laws have to change. Sure, I can get prescriptions to valium and oxycontin but I've been down that road, I've been addicted to benzos and somewhat opiates and its no road I intend to ever travel again.

Fucking ridiculous.

/rant

--------------------

Offlinewhrsthespirit
Stranger

Re: Medical pot creates workplace dilemma....[MI] [Re: MHbound]
    #11367623 - 11/02/09 08:17 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Why would you tell your employer u have a weed script?

Offlinejoshisstoned
Motorcycle Enthusiast
 User Gallery

Loc: Ohio
Re: Medical pot creates workplace dilemma....[MI] [Re: whrsthespirit]
    #11367637 - 11/02/09 08:22 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

whrsthespirit, I believe they are referring to company drug tests when they test positive for cannabis. I think we can all agree that telling your boss you smoke pot is stupid. They are talking about how you are not exempt from being fired if you test positive even if you have a medical marijuana card!

Offlinekydelic
Stranger
Male

Re: Medical pot creates workplace dilemma....[MI] [Re: joshisstoned]
    #11367685 - 11/02/09 08:36 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

c
Easy answer. If an employee isn't performing satisfactorily, fire them, no questions asked. Fucking duh

--------------------
http://flickr.com/photos/mycography - A collection of my fungal photography

Offlinedstark
Manifesting Minds
Male User Gallery

Re: Medical pot creates workplace dilemma....[MI] [Re: joshisstoned]
    #11367702 - 11/02/09 08:42 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Hope things will get better and employers will understand people needs.

--------------------
What is a mind, if not something to be messed with? What is consciousness, if not a state to be altered?

~I Feel
:mushroom2:
at Home~

OfflineHumility
Working on it
 User Gallery

#11367981 - 11/02/09 09:50 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

A business owner should be able to hire and fire anyone based on any reason at any time, just as you allow someone to enter your private residence and can kick them out the moment you see fit.

Firing people for smoking pot is dumb.

I wouldn't give a dime to a company that disrespected cannabis users.  I haven't eaten pop-tarts since the michael phelps thing and probably won't for a very long time, perhaps never.  They're not particularly good for you anyway.

--------------------

OfflineUnparalized
Young Cardinal
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Medical pot creates workplace dilemma....[MI] [Re: MHbound]
    #11367995 - 11/02/09 09:53 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

MHbound said:
:nonono:

Its got to stop. I've been "let go" for use of cannabis..We don't have medical use here, but the thing is I never came to work high(Well, okay sometimes I did), got the job done regardless, and was very good at whatever they had me doing.

Its miserable and has left me stuck between: Quit smoking for a better job or continue smoking with a lower pay.

The thing is, is that if I were to quit smoking I'd probably get fired anyway because I can't tolerate dumbshits who try to use their cd drive as a fucking cup holder or something stupid like that.

I'm also not able to work quite as much or hard because the stress causes my neck/back to hurt(both have been broken 3 years ago) and it prevents me from running cable or something along these lines.

The laws have to change. Sure, I can get prescriptions to valium and oxycontin but I've been down that road, I've been addicted to benzos and somewhat opiates and its no road I intend to ever travel again.

Fucking ridiculous.

/rant

Hey its like this, money is the slaveship of the rich, i dont want to be a prized slave.  And that lure of more money if i sacrefice does not suit me at all.  I am happy as hell doing my job and i do it well.  I had a 120k a year job and lost it over pot use, they told me to come back in 6 months when i could pass a hair test and i told them the hell with that, the only way i could tolerate that job and be the best at it was because of my marijuana use... They didnt get it, or acted like they didnt cause the boss is a raging coke addict and the HR dept has to be politically correct.  What a load.
Smoke, Eat, and Drink and be merry, do u really think that more money will make u happier than the MJ?

--------------------
This Is All Just An Echo Of What Has All Ready Happened!

Offlinewillloveforshrooms
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Medical pot creates workplace dilemma....[MI] [Re: Humility]
    #11367996 - 11/02/09 09:53 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

i knew that this was going to happen  and its a shame

InvisibleDutchie3k
Psychic Drifter
Male

Loc: this hazy bubble, state o...
Re: Medical pot creates workplace dilemma....[MI] [Re: willloveforshrooms]
    #11368074 - 11/02/09 10:10 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Dude is rolling a straight medical BLUNT.  Right on.

--------------------
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.  The others - the living - are those who pushed their control as far as they felt they could handle it, and then pulled back, or slowed down, or did whatever they had to when it came time to choose between Now and Later"

OfflineOlskool420
Stranger

Re: Medical pot creates workplace dilemma....[MI] [Re: Dutchie3k]
    #11371164 - 11/02/09 05:23 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Dutchie3k said:
Dude is rolling a straight medical BLUNT.  Right on.

I'm glad someone else noticed the same thing I did.

Back on topic, this is going to be the major stopping point for legalizing recreational use. As much as I hate to say it, this is America and employers should have the right to fire anyone anytime based on anything.

Discrimination against drug users as a whole is going to go on for a -long- time, it doesn't matter if everything is legalized tomorrow. We just have to stand up and educate.

Edit: Is there anything similar to a breathalyzer for weed? Something that can tell me how high I am right now instead of how much is stored in my body?

--------------------
It is impossible to make people understand their ignorance; for it requires knowledge to perceive it and therefore he that can perceive it hath it not.
-Jeremy Taylor

The first condition of immortality is death.
-Stanislaw J. Lec

Edited by Olskool420 (11/02/09 05:24 PM)

Offlinekydelic
Stranger
Male

Re: Medical pot creates workplace dilemma....[MI] [Re: Olskool420]
    #11371771 - 11/02/09 06:50 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

this is America and employers should have the right to fire anyone anytime based on anything.

Why, exactly, if it is not affecting the employee's or business's performance? Ever hear of tyranny of the majority?

--------------------

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Re: Medical pot creates workplace dilemma....[MI] [Re: kydelic]
    #11371945 - 11/02/09 07:18 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

kydelic said:
this is America and employers should have the right to fire anyone anytime based on anything.

Thank god that isn't the case....

Edited by Twiztidsage (11/02/09 07:18 PM)

OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

#11371961 - 11/02/09 07:19 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

You should not be fired over what medicine you take, as long as there is no evidence of abuse.

Invisibledurian_2008
Cornucopian Eating an Elephant
 User Gallery

Loc: Raccoon City
    #11372392 - 11/02/09 08:21 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

...because employers get govt benefits for testing and counseling. What to do?

Quote:

Employers are facing tough issues as they try to navigate the state's fledgling medical marijuana law, such as the difference between "smoke" and "ingest."

OfflineHumility
Working on it
 User Gallery

Re: Medical pot creates workplace dilemma....[MI] [Re: durian_2008]
    #11372772 - 11/02/09 09:10 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Meh, I believe in voluntaryism/Consentualism.  No one should be able to force me to hire someone I don't want to (that includes racist employers) or to keep them, for any reason.  It's the private commercial equivalent to the residential rights of anyone to control their property.

Again, the first company that acts outside of my interests will be dealt with by me in the most effective manner - me pocketing my money.  It doesn't profit businesses to be unfairly discriminatory in choosing clientele given the risk of public disclosure of such practices.  Businesses bite it BIG TIME when people feel like they're operating unethically.

Trade encourages diversity and acceptance.  Those who don't want to accept something shouldn't be forced to do so though.

Edit:

Btw Kydelic; what you're advocating is in fact tyranny of the majority, I support the ultimate rights of the property owner and the ultimate respect of property.  I believe in the right of the individual to own themselves and any products of their efforts.  Thus I own myself, any buildings I've bought, and anything that I put inside of those buildings.  If I contract to bring you into my building and do some stuff for me in exchange for something in return and later on decide I don't want you in my building any more, who has any rights over my property but me? (Given that we haven't contracted contrary to such.)

If I don't want to contract with someone for a specific reason, a general reason, or no reason at all, who has the right to tell me that I am forced to contract with them?

--------------------

Edited by Humility (11/02/09 09:19 PM)

Offlinekydelic
Stranger
Male

Re: Medical pot creates workplace dilemma....[MI] [Re: Humility]
    #11372823 - 11/02/09 09:16 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Again, the first company that acts outside of my interests will be dealt with by me in the most effective manner - me pocketing my money.

Is the company going to know why you're not shopping there? No. Are they even going to know that you're not shopping there? Probably not.

--------------------

OfflineHumility
Working on it
 User Gallery

Re: Medical pot creates workplace dilemma....[MI] [Re: kydelic]
    #11372875 - 11/02/09 09:22 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

With the Internet today boycotting never got easier.  There is a very active boycott of Wal-Mart by many people across America.  This movement has been strengthened, publicized and to some extent politicized.

People know why others are boycotting Wal-Mart and people can share their experiences with others in a very direct and thorough way.

Few companies value anything other than pure bottom line cash, and I assure you fellow that EVERY company absolutely cares about every single potential customer that is lost or gained, that's their entire game man, they pay attention to it more than almost anything else.

--------------------

OfflineOlskool420
Stranger

#11403683 - 11/07/09 10:30 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

kydelic said:
Quote:

Why, exactly, if it is not affecting the employee's or business's performance? Ever hear of tyranny of the majority?

Because the employer 'owns' the employee. Period.
Owning a business, or any property for that matter, gives -ME- sole discretion on who comes into it. Providing a service gives -ME- sole discretion on who I will let pay me for this service.
If I make it a point to fire people based on some stupid discrimination, tell people about it and make me lose money. That's how capitalism is supposed to work.

Businesses have nothing to gain from firing a productive employee, and plenty to lose.
Quote:

Twiztidsage said:

Thank god that isn't the case....

Since when? The fact that I may be facing some type of consequence doesn't matter (paying unemployment, compensation), I can still do it.

--------------------
It is impossible to make people understand their ignorance; for it requires knowledge to perceive it and therefore he that can perceive it hath it not.
-Jeremy Taylor

The first condition of immortality is death.
-Stanislaw J. Lec

Offlinekydelic
Stranger
Male

Re: Medical pot creates workplace dilemma....[MI] [Re: Olskool420]
    #11403978 - 11/07/09 11:12 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

If I make it a point to fire people based on some stupid discrimination, tell people about it and make me lose money. That's how capitalism is supposed to work.

Discrimination didn't hurt businesses at all in the early part of the 20th century, in fact it was used as a sort of marketing gimmick and brought more business in. Once you get beyond high school economics, you find that unfettered free-market capitalism doesn't work. Unless you like your country to be like Mexico or Guatemala.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom